Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Post Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm Debby...and I'm very new...in fact I'm a bit premature in claiming to be an RV-er, in that I haven't purchased my 1st RV...YET.
I am however (almost) ready to do so and be a full timer. The only hold up is funds being unaccessable for about 2 weeks, then...look out!
I'd like to give an explaination to my log in name of "debbilicious"...just to clear up any confusion...my neice coined the name (taking her cue from the bubble gum bubblicious)...and it stuck with me . Nothing else is intended.
Now for my new journey in life... I have decided the RV lifestyle suits me and I have my heart set on a 5th wheel from the Palomino division of Forest River, a Sabre (35'). It has a wonderful floorplan (especially for living in) and I believe I have found it at a great price...for a 2012 model.
From all my research and help from friends, I can see that RV people are just the nicest, helpful, and fun people out there.
Because I'm (going to be) new, I know there is much for me to learn...I welcome any thoughts, advice, questions, or well wishes from all of you.
Happy Camping!
debbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

Wow that's a heck of a lot of RV for someone starting out. Good on ya.
Welcome debbilicious!

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Welcome aboard

Debby,
Welcome aboard. RVers tend to be a pretty friendly bunch of people, willing to help out with most anything. If you have any questions feel free to take a look around here on the Forum and ask away, one of us is bound to have an answer for you.

Chris is Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #4

Welcome.
Pilotdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

Hello & welcome Debby from North Carolina!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Awe...thanks

See, I knew RVers were great people! Thanks everyone, and ya it might be a bit of a jump as a newbie, but I really only have one shot at this, and I know if I am going to be comfy, it should be as livable as possible.

Are there any suggestions on which (if any) camp memberships I should look into?

Debby
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbilicious View Post

See, I knew RVers were great people! Thanks everyone, and ya it might be a bit of a jump as a newbie, but I really only have one shot at this, and I know if I am going to be comfy, it should be as livable as possible.

Are there any suggestions on which (if any) camp memberships I should look into?

Debby
the best is the 50% off clubs, like Passport America and CampClubUSA and Happy Camper.
low upfront cost and good for full-timers.

what do you plan to tow with?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #8

tow vehicle

Ok, thanks I will check into those

I've been eyeballing a Chevy Sliverado 3/4 ton (used, 2002) to tow it with, it's a turbo diesel V-8. Silly bidders on ebay keep bidding and jacking the price up...it ends Sunday (the auction), no point in bidding yet, all that does is get the price up...no reserve on auction so I figure if I wait till 5 min before it ends and bid...I could "win"...otherwise I will have to start my search again. 5th Wheel is being held for me with a small deposit until I am able to pick it up .

Any favorite camp spots on the west coast?

Debby
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbilicious View Post
Any favorite camp spots on the west coast?

Debby
don't know what area you live, so not sure if you want Calif., Oregon or Washington. and if Calif., north, central or southern coast?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #10

Good question Dan...
I currently live in San Diego CA...and my sister lives in the Northern part of CA (Yreka, 17 miles south of Oregon border on I-5) and I will be visiting her.
So, basically all of CA, and some of OR for now? (and then there's the trip from Iowa...where I will be picking up my New 5th Wheel, driving it to my sisters before coming back to S.D.)
New question has come up: what size truck is best for towing a 35' (9000 lb) 5th wheel? I thought a 3/4 ton was adequate, but now I'm hearing 1 ton is better.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

Hi Debby, welcome.
I think you will be very happy with the Sabre, as their construction is second to none. We would have bought one if it weren't for restrictions on the amount of weight we could pull.
Since you haven't bought your tow vehicle yet, I would suggest leaning toward a one-ton. The new trucks ride very nice, and the extra weight capacity would be a bonus with such a large camper.
You will be a happy camper!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #12

I agree, after doing lots of research, the Sabre looks to be a well made RV. And after looking at used, local ones...I found a NEW 2012 35' center island, enclosed bathroom, rear living w/fireplace, beauty for 32k. (Compared to a 2006 for 27k). So, I figured since my main use for it is being stationary and living in it, I should spend more on it than the tow vehicle, and not having a huge budget for both...I won't be able to shop new trucks. All the ads I read say the 3/4 ton will pull ANYTHING...and the 1 ton seems so huge for lil ol me to drive (hahaha)...I was hoping I could stick with a 3/4 ton? I guess I will keep researching...and checking with manufacture on recommendations for tow vehicle...ugh ; )
Thanks for input, looks like you have a nice rig.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #13

Thanks, we really do like our outfit, even the "old" truck!
I am not saying that a 3/4 ton won't pull your fifth, and if you are not doing too many cross-country excursions, that might do just fine. After all, the drivetrains aren't any different, just the suspension.
Good hunting!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Team

debbilicious, i used to live in SoCal, too. i really do miss trips to "Dago".
my nephew is living my dream life there. surfing, riding mtn. bikes, playing beach volleyball, i hate him!

as to place on the coast, we're big fans of Central Calif., especially the Pismo/Morro Bay area. so much to see and do there.
the area north of SF is great, Sonoma/Napa/Mendocino. also the Monterey and Santa Cruz area is very nice.
any of the Oregon coast is wonderful. we like the Brookings area on the south end. Oregon's state parks are the best and you'll end up wanting to stay in their parks over California's parks.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #15

Hi Debbie. Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will love whatever you pick out. I have an 07 dodge ram 1 ton crew cab long bed dually truck. I bought it used and ordered my 5th wheel. I am 4'10" and I do not have a problem driving it at all. You might be surprised that you want to take your FW on a trip instead of leaving it parked. I am going to live in mine when I sell the house.

Good luck in what ever you do and this is a new start for making memories.

Cherry
cherrykiss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #16

Welcome first,

Next, drivers seat difference between a "3/4" and "1" ton is a wash. You can have pretty much the same cab and bed configurations in either, just the suspension and axle capacities are upped for the full ton model, and maybe brakes also. And that brings in the extra payload and tow capacity. If I was making that choice, I'd opt for the whole number vice the fraction truck.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum and to the RV life! My experience on eBay is that a bid put in 5 minutes before the end of a heavily-competed auction will probably be outbid. Best to wait until about 30 seconds before the end (but even that's no guarantee). Have your account all logged in so all you have to do is enter the bid and press Enter, then remember to refresh the page every 10 seconds or so in the last minute.

Anyway, the Silverado is a great truck, although say goodby to gas mileage. We researched tow vehicles and got a 2000 Silverado and love it.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #18

Walk through.

Back to your new Sabre for a second....Have you been informed, even though you are buying new, there is a strong possibility that not everything will be working as advertised. Something called the "walk-through" with the dealer will be taking place. That will be you and the dealer waking through your TT, he explaining a 100 new things for you to remember. Unless you have a photographic memory, take a clipboard and write everything down...with pictures and arrows. Leave yourself ample time to test everything at least once, appliances, lights, plugs, water heater, furnace, AC, jacks, slides, power shut-off switch, etc. Once you get out on your own, all of the new things you'll be told to remember during walk-through aren't always as easily remembered as you thought they might/should be. Most of all, don't forget the forum when you have questions and have fun!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #19

At this time of the year it is time to buy for the best bargains!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote