Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Talking Newbie!

Hello everyone,

Just joined the group, hoping to learn more about my family's new hobby...

I've been tent camping for over 20 years, and my husband and I decided our backs couldn't handle it anymore! So we decided to buy a camper... My first choice was a pop-up camper because they seemed really light, easy to tow and I'm a nervous nellie. In the end he convinced me that we really needed a regular TT so we purchased a Dutchmen Sport 716fd. Supposedly it's small (18', 3100 lbs.) but to me it's HUGE (compared to our tent)! I thought the rear bunks were cute and perfect for our two kids (who are 4 and 5). Our TV is a 2004 Jeep GC with the 4.0L I-6. We live in Northern Illinois.

I have lots of questions, most of them are probably REALLY basic so I apologize in advance. I hope I don't annoy everyone. As I said, I'm really nervous about towing this thing and eventually, I'd like to be able to do it on my own with the kids if I wanted to. I just want to make sure we are safe.

We did get it out last weekend for a trip to Wisconsin, but my husband did most of the highway driving since he's done this before. After we got it to the campground and setup it was WONDERFUL!! (well, until the smoke detector went off at 430am with the heater on for the first time!)

Anyway, sorry for being longwinded!

Deena
peasedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Deena,

to the forum. Congrats on the new camper. There's a lot of great info available here so don't be afraid to ask any and all questions.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Everyone on here are real nice !! Have the or will get answer to any question you have. Dont fill stupid about any question. I'm sure we all started from the same place and had the same questions so fire/away !! im not going to answer cause im new too!!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #5

Welcome Deena. Like many of us you find yourself in the RV lifestyle because of aging backs. Us too. We are done with the discomfort at this point in our lives.

Enjoy the new trailer
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #6

Welcome. I KNOW you will eventually be able to take the camper and your kids on a trip in this unit. Lots of ladies I know have made it a point to be involved in all the set-up duties like hooking up utilities, leveling the camper and getting the water heater and fridge running. My wife started learning the towing process by driving short legs on the interstate, then graduating to the two-lane roads. She still can't back into a site, but they always give her pull-throughs. She has never camped without me, but often takes the camper to a campground not far from home and I meet her after work. She has the camper set up and dinner on the table when I arrive. The point is that you can definitely do it if you practice a little. Have fun.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Jan Goldfield

We are two old broads with our very first RV. With the help of the folks here, we are set up and having a ball on our maiden voyage in Louisiana.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Welcome from north of the border although this part of Canada may be almost as far south as you guys. You have the right idea. Small steps and one step at a time and you will be all right. If there is anything you or your husband don't know you can always ask here. Remember there are no silly questions. Have fun. Old Guys