Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Newbie and not sure Im on the right post LOL

Hello everyone, glad to have found this site. I camp in a living quarters horse trailer , which is pretty much the same as a RV with horse stalls attached, a gooseneck trailer for those that don't know about horses.

My question is...I live in NC and intend to camp at least one a month during the cold months, so I have been debating the methods to protect my trailer.( It has water heater, sinks, shower, water pump, no ice maker in refridge, fresh water tank under the couch, grey and holding tank under the trailer.. Also has city water as well as fresh holding tank)

We usually have several days of bellowing freezing in a row in Dec, Jan, Feb, and then several nicer days.

Seems my choices are
1) drain and do all lines with antifreeze
2) drain and use air blow out and just antifreeze in traps and some in tanks.
3) drain and keep space heater on with my propane gas furnance set to say 45 in case the power goes out.

I want to protect my trailer, but I do want the most convenient way to use it during the winter months, and sorry ladies, but I am female and not very mechanical. I tend to haul and camp with my horse and dogs alone most of the time, so I need to be able to do this myself.

Also, I use campgrounds with water and electric hooksup ususally, and wont be camping if the nighttime temps are in the low 20's, just because its too cold to get up and ride the next day,LOL....so I am concerned about:

1) storage in between to make winter use the most convenient but not damage my trailer.

2) what happenes to underneath tanks and city line when camping. (again, I would expect the daytime temps to be in the 50's or I would not be going but night could easily be below freezing)

Any insight you can give me on this will be MOST helpful... I REALLY don't want to just button it up for the winter, with many days that I can ride in the 50s and 60s just 3 hours away in SC.
Thanks so much.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by horserider View Post
Hello everyone, glad to have found this site. I camp in a living quarters horse trailer , which is pretty much the same as a RV with horse stalls attached, a gooseneck trailer for those that don't know about horses.

My question is...I live in NC and intend to camp at least one a month during the cold months, so I have been debating the methods to protect my trailer.( It has water heater, sinks, shower, water pump, no ice maker in refridge, fresh water tank under the couch, grey and holding tank under the trailer.. Also has city water as well as fresh holding tank)

We usually have several days of bellowing freezing in a row in Dec, Jan, Feb, and then several nicer days.

Seems my choices are
1) drain and do all lines with antifreeze
2) drain and use air blow out and just antifreeze in traps and some in tanks.
3) drain and keep space heater on with my propane gas furnance set to say 45 in case the power goes out.

I want to protect my trailer, but I do want the most convenient way to use it during the winter months, and sorry ladies, but I am female and not very mechanical. I tend to haul and camp with my horse and dogs alone most of the time, so I need to be able to do this myself.

Also, I use campgrounds with water and electric hooksup ususally, and wont be camping if the nighttime temps are in the low 20's, just because its too cold to get up and ride the next day,LOL....so I am concerned about:

1) storage in between to make winter use the most convenient but not damage my trailer.

2) what happenes to underneath tanks and city line when camping. (again, I would expect the daytime temps to be in the 50's or I would not be going but night could easily be below freezing)

Any insight you can give me on this will be MOST helpful... I REALLY don't want to just button it up for the winter, with many days that I can ride in the 50s and 60s just 3 hours away in SC.
Thanks so much.
Welcome,
One important piece is whether or not your trailer is equipped with "low point" drains. Most newer trailers are. I would suggest 1st you need to drain the external tanks. You probably do this as you leave each camp anyway. Then drain the freshwater tank. Open the low point drains, open all your faucets, both hot and cold, shower etc. Open your water heater vent then remove the anode to be sure the WH is completely drained. This will pretty much empty the internal water lines. Then get a bucket. Remove the P traps under the sinks and pour the water into the bucket. Reinstall the P traps and close the faucets. Reinstall the WH anode and close the vent. Close the fresh water drain. At this point your trailer should be "DRY". Whole process is less than 30 minutes. No antifreeze since you plan to use the trailer through the winter. Start up is really simple just remember to have water in the WH before turning it on.
If things are expected to freeze hard while you are camping you can get by with the same process except with the fresh water tank inside (under the couch) you shouldn't need to drain it or the WH since leaving it on will certainly keep it from freezing. If you're hooked up to city water I'd recommend disconnecting and bring the hose inside so it won't be frozen in the morning.
Hope the suggestions help.
Happy Trails

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Carry water in containers. Heat water for dish washing and bathing, sponge bath and wash dishes in a tub, dump into a container for final dumping at home. Carry a small portable toilet.

If those suggestions are followed, no water in the tanks or lines to worry with.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

There is a winterizing subforum that has all the info you're looking for

Tags