Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #21
Plain Old Member

I think you'll be fine. Never seen one that didn't have a few quirks here and there no matter what you pay for it. If you do have any issues, I'd come to the forum first. Probably better techs and macgyvers on here than at any dealer. Owning one is definitely a learning experience, but over time, if you're a little handy, you'll pretty much become your own RV tech. We're on #7 RV now, and still learning.

We've always joked that when we decide to get another one, we're either building our own (been working on prints for years), or, finding the biggest piece of junk we can for cheap where we don't feel so bad when stuff goes wrong. The more you spend, the more perfection you expect, and the more you're let down when stuff does goes wrong.

I think the unit you have selected is excellent bang for the buck and I think yall will enjoy it. I'm with cootr68 on the test run. That's what we do. Go through it and put it through the paces for a couple of weeks, sometimes a month before we ever hit the road. We usually find most small issues then if their are any.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatste View Post
So, here it is. For several years my wife and I have wanted to get a travel trailer to spend more time with our young girls. We have family and friends who camp and are always singing the praises of their adventures. In the past year, I first pulled the trigger on the 2013 Chevy 2500HD tow vehicle, and after much thought and sore muscles going in and out of trailers at several shows, purchased a 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 300BH. Delivery is in 6 weeks, which is fine given the winter we're having and the fact I have time to see what things I needs to consider before our first time out. This is where the fear sets in......

After scanning through many of the forums, is there anyone out there who can calm my nerves which have me thinking that this thing I bought is going to fall apart a mile after leaving the dealership (which, if I read right, will disavow any knowledge of my purchase 5 minutes after the sale is complete), leak if I am not constantly on the roof catching raindrops, bounce like a carnival ride every time a take a breath, and basically fall apart before I open my first beer? After reading many of the forums, I am now thinking this is the best worst decision of our lives!

All will be OK, won't it?!

I don't know, I have heard some shady things about those Heritage Glen units, may want to steer clear of them...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #23

Buy the extended warranty!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #24

If I had this forum when I started 40 years ago or if I had found it before I bought my new trailer 11 months ago I could see your concerns.

I wouldn't give up the adventures, friendships, fun and knowledge I've gain. Plus all my kids now have kids of their own that have gotten into rvs. As it has been said you read about the problems for the most part you won't run into most or any of them. This forum is a great resource and so will fellow campers around you as you use it. Check your new unit carefully, develope a relationship with your service department if your not comfortable with mechanical service and repair. You should get many years of fun and adventure ahead. Enjoy

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Newbie and Now Scared to Death

One tip that really helped me was "Camp close to home the first time out." Did we have a problem at our first camp? Yep. Did our dealer show up and address it that same day? Yep. Are we quite happy with our purchase? Yep.

Every dealer's different, but from what I've seen over the last year of TT ownership is that, for a little while at least, most dealers are going to make sure you're happy enough to not want to just return their product and demand your money back. Dealer's don't like returns and they don't like trade-ins. Old products (even by days) are items they want off their lots. Well, basically, every product they have on their lot is a depreciating asset they don't want, but 'used' products are going to depreciate faster than 'new' products.

Hopefully your dealer is like the vast majority out there. They're going to take care of you during the time between "Please don't return this" and "Hmm, maybe I can sell him a new one."
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #26

With tt's, comes repairs and maintenance. Most problems can be worked out within the warranty period and the others afterwards are usually within the average persons capability. I have owned three trailers that have had leaks. My current trailer is a 2013 Grey wolf 29dsbh. Great trailer but within the year many things had to be worked out and I found a leak on a storage compartment door on the exterior. I caught it early so no biggie. What I am saying is that you don't need to worry but you do need to be aware of the possibilities if you don't check everything from time to time. Check the seams on your roof at least every six months, make sure you have sealant around every compartment and window on the outside and that there is no breaks in the bead of calking. Don't ever rely on butyl tape alone because it will fail you. Be on top of your new trailer and you will get the most life out of it and enjoy it for years to come!

It took me failing to do my part to maintain my previous trailers to learn now that in order to enjoy your trailer and keep it in pristine condition you must keep on top of it no matter how old the trailer is.

I wish you the best with your new trailer and like others have said, enjoy it! They truly do give you memories and enjoyment that you will remember forever. Cheers!
lil2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #27

Be sure to go to the library section of this website and download the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist.

As has already been mentioned go to the nearest campground or RV park with full hookups and live in the trailer for a couple of days. It’s the best way to “break in” a trailer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #28

My 2 Cents.......

We have been camping for over 30 years 4 different campers only minor issues.... as with a house, things wear out & break. Do you homework & learn the how to's of towing & maintenance....... Take your time & don't be afraid to ask questions.....

The boys grew up camping with us... we met a lot of great people saw things we would have not seen otherwise. We stayed closer that way, I believe.
Now the grandson is starting to camp with us as well. The DW has a niece that had never been out of state but one time with us, grew up in a 3 county area, to each their own but I think that is sad. The kids grow up so fast you just turn around & they are out in the world on their own........ enjoy being with them, camp, just do your homework ask questions, it is not rocket science...... it's fun.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #29
Plain Old Member

X2 what Oaklevel said. We grew up tent camping and doing the motel thing, so all I could do was dream of an RV one day. However, we traveled 48 states before I ever owned one. When I met my wife, she had only been on one youth trip when she was younger, other than that never traveled. She was hooked after one trip, especially when she caught on to the fact the bathroom was behind us all the time. 11 years and 7 RV's later, Camping / RVing is still our drug of choice. My kids absolutely love camping, and cruising the RV lots, which we do every time I'm home to keep up with the market. It's kind of funny, but my 5 year old can make a saleman blush with her knowledge of these things, having started camping at 7 days old.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #30

Thanks, everyone, for the words of encouragement and advice. I guess I kind of knew it wouldn't be so bad, but it's nice to hear that from experienced campers. We are all pretty excited and are looking forward to meeting everyone in the years to come!
shatste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #31

I think you'll do fine. Remember the most important thing is the time with your kids doing things that will only happen 1 time. As far as problems, my wife and I have been through 3 new work and plays and 1 blue ridge 5ver in the last 4 years. I bought the blue ridge on wed and on Sat we were living in it for a little over a year and we never had a big problem. The work and plays have been great, currently have a 2014. One of the best advices I have seen on this site is to take a practice session in the driveway at home. Do everything like you think you will do in the campground. You will learn about things like the hot water heater by-pass etc. Practice will make things easier. Make a checklist and use it. Have fun!!!
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #32

You might even want to plan your first camping trip out with your friends, they should be able to help you with the set up, just take your time when towing...if you feel comfy going 55-60 so be it. When you pick it up, go to a big parking lot, maybe a schools' after it is out and practice backing it up, it is helpful to get the DW involved in the set up and guiding you when you back it in or vice-versa.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #33

lol, it's just natural to have reservations about something when you don't have much experience. Keep it simple, use it a couple of times at a local park, one full hookup and one without. That'll tell you anything you need. Don't overload. Enjoy the forums while you wait

also, there are two types of spouses. one who knows how to back you up and the other is the kind that doesn't and wants to preserve their marriage (this type will go to the bathroom while the neighbor backs you in.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #34
Site Team

Agree with others. I had 2 before I even knew about this forum. Each has had a few issues but were fixed. We've enjoyed all three of ours including the rockwood we have now, which also had a few issues. Considering the 1000s of TTs sold each year, there will be some with serious issues, both quality and service issues. They are not the norm.
Just read up. Ask questions, and maybe take a few short trips with your rving friends and have mini lessons on the setup, take down and systems. But most of all enjoy it!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #35
Site Team

you can do it

No sugar coating here...
They all will have problems of some kind, hopefully small ones.
If you dont want any problems dont buy one.
So expect some and work threw it like a LOT of us have.

QC in RV is like no other industry I have been a custom with.
I tend to take good care of my toys and with rv's that means monitoring them like a hawk. Thus I find things that need to be tweaked. Most I can do myself.
Would I buy a rv again...YES I would and I think most of us would!!!!
Now my Chevy truck ... solid as a ROCK!!!!

I wish you the best of luck and welcome to rv ownership!

And go make some memories

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #36

relax enjoy and have lots of fun we bought our 30f Cherokee new in 2006 and had only a couple very minor problems which the dealer promptly took care of at our campsite near the dealer we have spent several hundred days in our camper and still love it
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #37

My Surveyor's maiden trip was me moving from Amarillo to Weatherford, because of a job change. I didn't have time to check anything out. Guess what? Everything worked. I lived in it for 7 weeks. I have had very few even minor problems in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I'd say the sink broke, but in fact, I broke it... I let the pump freeze, along with the outdoor shower... These problems were my fault. If you're the least bit handy, you can fix just about any problem you're going to have.

Remember, stay close for the first couple of trips and make yourself proficient at everything concerning the trailer. Be SURE you do everything right when winterizing... I'm in Texas and still had stuff freeze. Silly me... and I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic... and should have known better.

All that stuff about being closer with your kids and all... is true. My sons are going with me next week for 5 days of fly fishing. The youngest is 33. Enjoy, and welcome to the forums.

PS: I LOVE my Surveyor!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #38

I do not know the number for sure but there were over 300,000 rvs manufactured in the last year. How many bad reports have you read versus that number. We have had just a few minor problems with our rig and are very happy
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #39

Nice choice for a newbie to the Rv world. Wildwood Heritage Glen 300BH looks like an awesome RV for a family with young ones.

We've had an expandable, bumper hitch pull, and now moving on to our 3rd fifth wheel. The only regrets I have ever had was not waiting one more year for the right one that came along. It continues to happen, darn it!

At least you are starting out right, knowing where you will be the most and that is the outdoors with an outdoor kitchen. I still want one, but can't find it on a fifth wheel I like. It will probably come out next year!

As long as you do not take the little things to seriously everything will work out and you will find a lot more happiness owning an RV than not owning one at all.

Like others have stated, most problems occur by our own makings not the Manufactures.

I have found it's silly but works well. Make a to-do check off list for all the things you must do before hooking up and pulling off, like: Check your tire pressure and do as the manufacture states, check the lug nuts on the new wheels to make sure they are tight, make sure the TV antenna is rolled down each time, make sure you rolled up and put away your electrical cord, water houses and all fittings, disconnected the cable TV line (where they have one), packed up the sewer hose, raised all leveler mechanisms and stabilizer jacks to the correct height, spare tire has air, all compartment doors are locked and secured and you will be ok ever time out!

Oh and one last thing "clancythecamper" is absolutely correct regarding the spouse! If you want to stay married to the same one, it's best you know know which one you have before backing!
LONE STAR TRAVELERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #40
TeresaInCAL

Something to keep in mind, I you DO have problems, lots of people here can help you, or at least point you in the right direction. I've also discovered YouTube has a lot of great instructional videos (for example, we kept forgetting how to put out the manual awning).
There's bound to be little stuff, most of which is easy to fix.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags