Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #41

They "All have issues" answer should NOT be tolerated by any of the RV makers period !! Our automotive companies have made great strides in quality in the last 30 years..Will some foreign maker/company have to show the people in Indiana how to build them better ?? Stay tuned
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #42

After joining here in November after purchasing our new trailer, I certainly understand the OP thoughts. Reading the volume of stories about trailers going back to the factory and still having poor service does not make a buyer feel positive.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #43
Site Team

Henry Ford calling Henry ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
They "All have issues" answer should NOT be tolerated by any of the RV makers period !! Our automotive companies have made great strides in quality in the last 30 years..Will some foreign maker/company have to show the people in Indiana how to build them better ?? Stay tuned
Im sure someone will come along and defend the rv industry. About how much it would cost and how tough it would be to implement a real qc program.
The only place I hear about good quality rvs is on this forum...
In the campgrounds I like to chat with other campers especially the ones with new units. They all have shoddy workmanship or sub par materials used to build the unit stories of some kind. When they think they dont have any probs a tour threw and around there unit will lead to something needing something fix or replaced. My mfg customer service is outstanding for the most part!(I do not agree with them about the slide out wear issue at all posted on this forum and the fix or tape offered.Thats a sore spot with me!)http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html
From reading this forum the best place to take your unit is to the rally. Where the mfg treat you awsum and goes out of its way to fix things on your unit. Nice PR for sure and it does sound like a great time to boot.
IMO the RV industry QC has mile n miles to go just to see good around the bend just outta reach!
Japan did it to the auto industry...whos gonna do it to the rv industry China????
The OP should be conserned

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Im sure someone will come along and defend the rv industry. About how much it would cost and how tough it would be to implement a real qc program.
The only place I hear about good quality rvs is on this forum...
In the campgrounds I like to chat with other campers especially the ones with new units. They all have shoddy workmanship or sub par materials used to build the unit stories of some kind. When they think they dont have any probs a tour threw and around there unit will lead to something needing something fix or replaced. My mfg customer service is outstanding for the most part!(I do not agree with them about the slide out wear issue at all posted on this forum and the fix or tape offered.Thats a sore spot with me!)http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html
From reading this forum the best place to take your unit is to the rally. Where the mfg treat you awsum and goes out of its way to fix things on your unit. Nice PR for sure and it does sound like a great time to boot.
IMO the RV industry QC has mile n miles to go just to see good around the bend just outta reach!
Japan did it to the auto industry...whos gonna do it to the rv industry China????

you sound a little bitter PlatoKidd.....? remember, it is not FRs fault that their suppliers sell them shoddy products......

that the 'Dealer' will have to fix.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #45

The rv companys, suppliers, and all that are involved ...need to take heed and offer Quality materials & workmanship period ...end of story !!.OR ..maybe the Chinese or some other country will have their industry .... and take it away from them !!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
you sound a little bitter PlatoKidd.....? remember, it is not FRs fault that their suppliers sell them shoddy products......

that the 'Dealer' will have to fix.
Funny you say that..I had csr @ fr tell me that once before...
Really Im not bitter just calling like I see em

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Funny you say that..I had csr @ fr tell me that once before...
Really Im not bitter just calling like I see em

Did you not read the fine print in the brochure..... "We hog the Glory.... and spread the Blame".

I talked to a FR rep and he said that he would get right back to me with the correct help and answers....... (yawn)...... four months ago.

Would 'I' recommend a FR.... not to anyone that I like. Yes, every thing has bugs, for sure. But some of what I have seen seem to be design flaws... why, am I looking forward to the day that my unit is OUT of warranty...... So that I can take my unit to a RV repair center that I have trusted for the last 15 years and not have to deal with the red tape of finger pointing. I don't like high maintenance Women, Cars, or RVs..... The wife has me trained, the cars are easy to fix.... year two with this RV will tell the tail if it stays or goes.... Beautiful camper that does not work is just as others have said..... an expensive yard ornament.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #48

Well, in reality, I have to agree with Platokidd and Brother Les. The RV industry needs a wake-up call. Like someone said, the Japanese sure gave one to the American auto industry. That being said, costs have to be kept down to keep any business profitable. I paid a good chunk of change for my TT a couple of years ago. It works for me, but it's FAR from what I would really like. I had no problems in the warranty period, but afterward, I did some dumb things, because I'm relatively new at all of this. I fixed these issues to better than new condition.

Like many folks... I thought the Aviator line was terrific, but not to the tune of $90,000- or more. And an Airstream... if I could afford one, I wouldn't buy one. At least 1/3 of the price goes for the name... I am really looking forward to the release of the larger Evergreen Element model, later this year. However, I am probably going to love the trailer, but hate the price. For onr thing, there are too many brands and models, so the industry spends way too much on marketing for the numbers of sales that occur. It's really daunting to research all the different models trying to find what you really want. If the industry would slack off on the number of models and the marketing costs, and put better materials, engineering, and workmanship into the RVs, we'd all be better off.

All that being said, I still like what I have and from my personal experiences, I wouldn't shy away from another FR product... but I now know what to look for in the quality department... and I'll get the best I can find. I won't shy away from camping now that I've started... Unfortunately, the RV industry knows there are too many like me...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
Remember the saying, there are "Two good days to owning a RV and/or boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it".

Everyone will have some sort of problem but, that's what is great about this forum. There are always people willing to help! Same goes for the campground too, there are always people willing to help.

Happy camping!

Actually only heard that about boats... But I think that saying might apply to RV's with an engine. I've had two good friends go from a TT to a motor home and back to a TT with a three year span.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #50
Carknocker Family

I keep hearing that the Chinese will fix the RV industry. Looking at mine, most parts are built by China and assembled as a RV in the USA. And its the parts that are the problem most of the time. IMO
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #51
Site Team

My microwave made in china works great...it just fell out of its cabinet assembled in the usa.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #52

Wow lets scare the newbies to death...... I do not not why some manufacturers have more issues than others () but not everyone is having issues. We have had two Pumas lower end brand maybe our 2013 36 ft TH was out the door for under $30K going on 2 years old has only been back to the dealer for a couple minor cosmetic issues. Our last Puma was the same.

I am not defending anyone just the facts............

just

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #53

Research any camper, any truck, any car, any camp ground, any restaurant and there will always be someone, somewhere that has had an issue of some kind but likely thousands more that love their purchase.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #54

But the loudest noise is usually from ones that are unhappy
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #55

Touch wood, but the only problems we've really had are the odd screw pulling out of some larger cabinet doors and valances. Easily fixed by replacing with a bit longer screw and additional screws.

I blame our horrendously rough roads for that more than anything. We've only had the Surveyor TT for a year, so hopefully things keep going as smoothl.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCath25ds View Post
But the loudest noise is usually from ones that are unhappy

And so I says...." Honey, (I says) calm down....., I will buy you a new camper"..... but she only got louder.....

(one month after buying new camper) "Please Honey, calm down..... I am sooo sorry that "I" bought 'this' camper....".......

(was I in a catch '.22'.... Noooooo, she wanted to shoot me with her .45.......)

Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I keep hearing that the Chinese will fix the RV industry. Looking at mine, most parts are built by China and assembled as a RV in the USA. And its the parts that are the problem most of the time. IMO
Not my experience. Most of my issues have be shoddy workmanship. Holes cut too big in floor. Blinds falling off the walls. Lights installed in the wrong place. Television release mechanism separating from the wall. A/cs, frig, heat, wh, TV, pumps, slides...all have never failed me. Except for Chinese tires! Junk trail express.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Wow lets scare the newbies to death...... I do not not why some manufacturers have more issues than others () but not everyone is having issues. We have had two Pumas lower end brand maybe our 2013 36 ft TH was out the door for under $30K going on 2 years old has only been back to the dealer for a couple minor cosmetic issues. Our last Puma was the same.

I am not defending anyone just the facts............

just
Better to have the knowledge from others from the forum then to go in blind.
I cant put lipstick on pig so op feels better.
It a chance we all take when buying a rv

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #59

Don't be scared of new things
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #60

People bit@h and moan WAY more than they praise. Nuff said
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2