Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #61
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
People bit@h and moan WAY more than they praise. Nuff said
I concur.....

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
People bit@h and moan WAY more than they praise. Nuff said
My chevy truck forum is not like that ...just my rv forum

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #63

I agree with 5 hole. People just love to bitch and complain about everything. Try building something and then drag it down the road a 1000 miles. Things will start to loosen up real quick. Get some tools, silicone (various colors to match) and some knowledge about fixing stuff. This will give you something to do at the camp site.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Better to have the knowledge from others from the forum then to go in blind.
I cant put lipstick on pig so op feels better.
It a chance we all take when buying a rv

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
Not suggesting that anyone go in blind but major issues are, in the grand scheme of thing rare. What is more rare is hearing from the people that do not have issues. We have owned 4 campers over 30 years & had very few issues and nothing major. We have had many more issues with the house than we have the campers but granted we don't live in the camper.

The biggest issue is learning to safely tow, set up, & enjoy being where you are....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
I agree with 5 hole. People just love to bitch and complain about everything. Try building something and then drag it down the road a 1000 miles. Things will start to loosen up real quick. Get some tools, silicone (various colors to match) and some knowledge about fixing stuff. This will give you something to do at the camp site.
That really is best advise Been there done that!
Read , learn do as much of what you can yourself!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not suggesting that anyone go in blind but major issues are, in the grand scheme of thing rare. What is more rare is hearing from the people that do not have issues. We have owned 4 campers over 30 years & had very few issues and nothing major. We have had many more issues with the house than we have the campers but granted we don't live in the camper.

The biggest issue is learning to safely tow, set up, & enjoy being where you are....
Well said Oak! everyone builds a lemon from time to time, if I got one, I would be the first one to be on here ranting about it. Whether a rv, house, vehicle what ever.
What I have noticed here is that the level of help from the manufacturer is at a higher level at FR vs many others.
I just bought a new - used vehicle. If I went off of reviews only I would never have bought anything!!
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #67

From what I have seen if we acted on reviews, we would all be walking and living in a box.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
From what I have seen if we acted on reviews, we would all be walking and living in a box.
we would all NOT buy trailers "which are a horrible investment monetarily" and we would be still tent camping...

heck....pretty much EVERY ONE of my hobby/toys is pure and simple waste of excessive money....but when i die i wont care nor remember the money.....just the things i did or wish i had done....

in college i did ONE of my thesis papers on mortality, and long story short, people on their death bed did not generally recall or dwell on their happiest moments....only the moments/things they missed and wished they had done.....it was pretty sad that the majority looked back and out of all their life had ONLY regretted the things they had not done....no matter if was from fear of religion, or family or society......the only constant i could signify with any statistical significance was regret of the NOT done...so to me at a very young age my perception of life and the happiness we perceive was thrown askew..... just a thought.....buy it....love it.....live it....create life experience!!

Jeremy
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #69

Newbie and Now Scared to Death

Your basic "Bucket List". Went though the middle age crazies and went sky diving, bought a Harley Ultra Classic and toured the country. Got my pilot license. Flew a helicopter to my wedding. Flew a Lear Jet from Washington to Miami. Drove tanks on a military base. Drove my wife crazy. Camped, hiked, two sons in the military (Navy & Coast Guard). Been a cop for close to 30 years. Buying a Forest River RV is just another on the list. Life is short and full of surprises. Learn to enjoy and embrace your life and when it's your time, you have done what you set out to do. The little things are just that...little things. A curtain falling off the wall in my RV is yet another challenge.
You want to be there on the bed at the end of life wondering, "What If"? Don't go there. Do it now!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #70

Amen
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I wouldn't be worried about problems with the rig. It looks to me like you've just dropped something north of $55-60K (maybe more) to go camping, and it doesn't sound like you've ever BEEN camping. That's what I'd be worried about. All it's going to take is the wife or a kid to not be thrilled and it's all over. So - I SURE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!

If not.... whew - that's some cash for something you don't like!!

X2 here. Not NEAR that much money spent on camping only equipment, but am/was VERY nervous about spending money I could use on something else. First trip was BAD second was a lot better. I am hoping they will get better each trip. My worst problem has been continuos outlay of monies. Seems like there is always something I "gotta" have. Maybe that has died out finally or at least till be can go out of the camper and camp with thawed water instead of frozen. Have fun and enjoy.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #72

The enjoyment of bonding with your children will far outweigh any small issues you may have. Use a small amount of time on each trip to perform preventative maintainence and any small issues you may find try to address right away. At each campground you visit you will be surrounded by a wealth of knowledge with your camping neighbors don't be afraid to ask. Enjoy and happy camping.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #73

Greetings Shatste,

I know the exact feelings you are having. Been doing the exact same thing here and have wondered if I made a hugh mistake. I've talked with a guy from work that owns one and he brought his new as well. He and his wife love it, the only draw back they've seen, is not being able to use it enough.

Tom
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #74
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatste View Post
So, here it is. For several years my wife and I have wanted to get a travel trailer to spend more time with our young girls. We have family and friends who camp and are always singing the praises of their adventures. In the past year, I first pulled the trigger on the 2013 Chevy 2500HD tow vehicle, and after much thought and sore muscles going in and out of trailers at several shows, purchased a 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 300BH. Delivery is in 6 weeks, which is fine given the winter we're having and the fact I have time to see what things I needs to consider before our first time out. This is where the fear sets in......

After scanning through many of the forums, is there anyone out there who can calm my nerves which have me thinking that this thing I bought is going to fall apart a mile after leaving the dealership (which, if I read right, will disavow any knowledge of my purchase 5 minutes after the sale is complete), leak if I am not constantly on the roof catching raindrops, bounce like a carnival ride every time a take a breath, and basically fall apart before I open my first beer? After reading many of the forums, I am now thinking this is the best worst decision of our lives!

All will be OK, won't it?!

I had to go back n try to see what exactly you are scared of. Lol !
We recently bought a new TH, I worked on things I wanted like ,tv in master, more tool storage ,little things. Then we set off across the country, OH to WY n back. Yes we had small problems with the frig, and... Ah.... That's about all,as far as the camper. The truck was another story.
It was a three wk adventure of a lifetime be flexible, adapt ,overcome.
I too was scared , mostly about putting all my eggs in the same basket,and hauling them that far. We met a lot of great people,most everywhere .
It is worth every penny!!
Enjoy !!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #75

Just picked up our 2014 Flagstaff classic 832BHIK TT on 2/14. This is our first TT and while the drive home, with our Ford Expedition, from the dealership was bouncy and had some sway, on the advice of a friend, I up'd the WDH one link on the chain, and loosened the sway bar half a turn. Three hours later, we left on our first trip. It took about two hours to drive, but it was a pretty smooth drive, and the only real bounce was when there were bumps in the road. We are currently camping, love our trailer, and are having a blast!

The best advice another newbie could give is to talk to your friends who have TT, and look on these forums. The people here have taught me as much, if not more than the guys at the dealership did!

Steve
srbibilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #76
Anacortesians

Even a "rolling earthquake" is more fun than a real one! In the 42 years we've lived in the Pacific NW we've gone through two real ones. Our present house post-dates the first one, but the last one did some minor damage to the S&B, not enough to trip the homeowner's insurance, but needing some DIY to correct.

After 3 years in Tidewater VA, with the regular (every day from mid-June to early September) summer afternoon thunderstorms that can drop 3" of rain in less than an hour, I'll live with a minor earthquake every 15 years or so! It can rain here for 24 hours and only drop about 0.25". I guess it's the "gentle rain from heaven!"

Tags