Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #71
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I wouldn't be worried about problems with the rig. It looks to me like you've just dropped something north of $55-60K (maybe more) to go camping, and it doesn't sound like you've ever BEEN camping. That's what I'd be worried about. All it's going to take is the wife or a kid to not be thrilled and it's all over. So - I SURE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!

If not.... whew - that's some cash for something you don't like!!

X2 here. Not NEAR that much money spent on camping only equipment, but am/was VERY nervous about spending money I could use on something else. First trip was BAD second was a lot better. I am hoping they will get better each trip. My worst problem has been continuos outlay of monies. Seems like there is always something I "gotta" have. Maybe that has died out finally or at least till be can go out of the camper and camp with thawed water instead of frozen. Have fun and enjoy.

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #72
The enjoyment of bonding with your children will far outweigh any small issues you may have. Use a small amount of time on each trip to perform preventative maintainence and any small issues you may find try to address right away. At each campground you visit you will be surrounded by a wealth of knowledge with your camping neighbors don't be afraid to ask. Enjoy and happy camping.

Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #73
Greetings Shatste,

I know the exact feelings you are having. Been doing the exact same thing here and have wondered if I made a hugh mistake. I've talked with a guy from work that owns one and he brought his new as well. He and his wife love it, the only draw back they've seen, is not being able to use it enough.

Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #74
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by shatste View Post
So, here it is. For several years my wife and I have wanted to get a travel trailer to spend more time with our young girls. We have family and friends who camp and are always singing the praises of their adventures. In the past year, I first pulled the trigger on the 2013 Chevy 2500HD tow vehicle, and after much thought and sore muscles going in and out of trailers at several shows, purchased a 2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 300BH. Delivery is in 6 weeks, which is fine given the winter we're having and the fact I have time to see what things I needs to consider before our first time out. This is where the fear sets in......

After scanning through many of the forums, is there anyone out there who can calm my nerves which have me thinking that this thing I bought is going to fall apart a mile after leaving the dealership (which, if I read right, will disavow any knowledge of my purchase 5 minutes after the sale is complete), leak if I am not constantly on the roof catching raindrops, bounce like a carnival ride every time a take a breath, and basically fall apart before I open my first beer? After reading many of the forums, I am now thinking this is the best worst decision of our lives!

All will be OK, won't it?!

I had to go back n try to see what exactly you are scared of. Lol !
We recently bought a new TH, I worked on things I wanted like ,tv in master, more tool storage ,little things. Then we set off across the country, OH to WY n back. Yes we had small problems with the frig, and... Ah.... That's about all,as far as the camper. The truck was another story.
It was a three wk adventure of a lifetime be flexible, adapt ,overcome.
I too was scared , mostly about putting all my eggs in the same basket,and hauling them that far. We met a lot of great people,most everywhere .
It is worth every penny!!
Enjoy !!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #75
Just picked up our 2014 Flagstaff classic 832BHIK TT on 2/14. This is our first TT and while the drive home, with our Ford Expedition, from the dealership was bouncy and had some sway, on the advice of a friend, I up'd the WDH one link on the chain, and loosened the sway bar half a turn. Three hours later, we left on our first trip. It took about two hours to drive, but it was a pretty smooth drive, and the only real bounce was when there were bumps in the road. We are currently camping, love our trailer, and are having a blast!

The best advice another newbie could give is to talk to your friends who have TT, and look on these forums. The people here have taught me as much, if not more than the guys at the dealership did!

srbibilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #76
Even a "rolling earthquake" is more fun than a real one! In the 42 years we've lived in the Pacific NW we've gone through two real ones. Our present house post-dates the first one, but the last one did some minor damage to the S&B, not enough to trip the homeowner's insurance, but needing some DIY to correct.

After 3 years in Tidewater VA, with the regular (every day from mid-June to early September) summer afternoon thunderstorms that can drop 3" of rain in less than an hour, I'll live with a minor earthquake every 15 years or so! It can rain here for 24 hours and only drop about 0.25". I guess it's the "gentle rain from heaven!"

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote