Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #41

Traded in my HW 277 in December. Need any hints for mods?😉

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #42

I remember you were looking to trade and saw your move out of the pup. Hope your new camper suits you well and happy trails. I have a few mods in mind, nothing too extreme just have to see how I want to do it. Basically I want to move the low point drains valves to the outside as I can not reach them in the current location when the pup is closed. I like to drain the lines after each outing and where they are located is a PITA when I forget to open them. And thinking about how to protect the outside kitchen from rain (it seems that the awning just is not big enough and every time it looks like rain we put that kitchen in as the cabinet does not look like it should get to wet).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #43

Yes...I always pulled the drains as part of my final close up. May I suggest some thin plexi glass on the sides and front? It won't add weight and you can always seal the corners with clear silicone. I think I still have an extra bunk fan for my old unit too.

Just glad to get away
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #44

Had not thought of plexiglass. I was thinking of a curtain side wall hanging from the side awning arm. Have to give it some thought. The camper does need a third light, we are always moving one of the lights during our outing.

What was your best mod?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #45

Im so sorry you have all that snow for soooo long... and we're having a drought. Go figure. My friends in Reisterstown and Tawnytown have kept me posted with all these crazy storms you all have been having. Im sure you're all ready for Spring to come. I bet it makes it hard to go camping anywhere.

Yes, this weekend is the big weekend I go to Santa Barbara.. I cant wait. I finally got my RV pop up back from the RV place.. its all fixed..,.. it was so crazy.. mix ups.. poor customer service and follow through really bad.. this place has about a 2 star out of 10 start rating for customer service but they are rockin it with sales with all their awards.. they just cant keep the people they intitally get.

Thanks for the info on the insurance.. I have the same thing for a year with the same company you did. I dont really want to continue it afterwards and was trying to figure out how it would be beneficial. If I had the driving RV's then I can see it would be helpful so you can get something fixed to get to your destination. But with pop ups it seems different.

Question maybe you know.... I have been confused about the hotwater heater. I know to fill it you turn on the faucets until the air is out (particularly the hot water) and this apparently fills the 6 gal hotwater heater. What I dont know is how do you empty the hot water heater once it's filled. Just run the hot water after unhooking it to the city water until no water comes out, but what if you are using the 20 gal water tank.. just empty it all? I read the directions, the owner's manual and there is nothing that explains that. I talked to the RV place and got conflicting info. I called the manufacture on Monday and had to leave a message and havent heard anything back. I will most likely call again, but thought you might know. Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
You should be getting ready for your first outing. You will have to post how it went. We are snowed in here waiting for warmer weather. As far as insurance, I had a free year with coachnet when I purchased my camper. Never had to use it and chose not to renew as I have it on my auto policy and thought it redundant. Hit a deer while towing the camper, did not hurt the camper at all and my insurance covered the tow truck which towed both the TV and the camper to the body shop. What a sad sight that was, the Durango on the flat bed and the camper on the tow truck's ball hitch.

Here we are covered in snow.

Attachment 46444
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 AM   #46

Question.. you said that you like to drain the line after each outing.. I'd like to do the same.. but I thought it drains out from the gray water openings. Is there another place to open up drains? (besides the 20 gal water tank underneath)?? What is a PITA?

Quote:
I remember you were looking to trade and saw your move out of the pup. Hope your new camper suits you well and happy trails. I have a few mods in mind, nothing too extreme just have to see how I want to do it. Basically I want to move the low point drains valves to the outside as I can not reach them in the current location when the pup is closed. I like to drain the lines after each outing and where they are located is a PITA when I forget to open them. And thinking about how to protect the outside kitchen from rain (it seems that the awning just is not big enough and every time it looks like rain we put that kitchen in as the cabinet does not look like it should get to wet).
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #47

PITA is pain in the a**.

If you have a surban heater, to drain the hot water tank there is a plug on the end of the tank. That plug is the anode rod. It comes out and will drain the water. Stand off too the side when you do this or you may get wet when the hot water starts to flow. By the way, the anode rod is designed to corrode instead of your tank. The rod will need to be replaced when it gets used up so you should know about it. Replacement rate will be dependant on water quality (mine is still good after three years). It is recommended to drain your tank this way and not through the low point drains as crude from the water heater may plug your water line. You can prevent this by turning the hot water exit line valve on the water tank to the off position.

The water lines can be drained by opening the low point drains. I do not know where your low point drains are on your model, mine are in the backmost cabinet on the floor. There will be two of them, one on the cold (the blue line) and one on hot (the red line). If they are not there, look under the camper for two nozzles side by side, the valves will either be there or inside on the floor just above those nozzels. My valves open by pulling up. Be sure to turn the water pump off if you are using your water storage tank. The storage tank can be drained seperately as there is a stopcock drain on the tank. look under the camper, you will see the white tank and the stopcock.
It sounds like a lot but it really isn't once you know where the valves are.

Have a great time this weekend. I am jealous....
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #48

I usually did not drain my hot water tank unless it was winter, and in that case I used compressed air because here one weekend it's cold the next is campable.

Gals- I actually went pretty overboard with mods. Used LED panels in the lights, put rubber mat under the water pump, second battery, load range d tires, TPMS system, and my fav was had a friend rebulid the rear bumper and added a receiver so I could put my wood buckets back there. Now, I would also have to put my genny and cooler inside the door to add back my tongue weight. Was running about 450 lbs all the time.

Just glad to get away
Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #49

Thanks for your help.. I did find that hotwater plug... I guess I need a special wrench to open it. Im sure mine is similar to yours it is a Surburban Since you dont need to replace your anoid for 3 years about, do you still need to drain the hotwater heater every year or more often?

I will have to look again this weekend but I remember seeing the blue and red valves in one of the cabinets as you said and I think mine is near the door. So you open those to drain all the water from the lines? When I open them, where does the water drain to? the water resevior underneath the RV or ??and should I leave them open until the next time I camp or close them after a certain period of time?

When you said that opening the hotwater plug is the best way to drain the hotwater heater, how else would it drain? You mentioned about the crud that could block or clog the lines, so does water flow back into the water resevior that's underneath the RV or flow elsewhere that it would cause a clog?

This past weekend I let the hotwater heater fill by running water from city water and opened the faucets and waited until air was out so I assumed by the directions that the hotwater heater as then filled. When I was done I unhooked the city water and opened the faucets and let the water in the lines drain out. Im assuming that the hotwater heater is still filled then? or does it empty with running the hotwater after it being unhooked from water source?

I understand about the shopping.. I have so much fun shopping for the RV stuff. Camping World is not far from me and I could hang out there often.

Quote:
PITA is pain in the a**.

If you have a surban heater, to drain the hot water tank there is a plug on the end of the tank. That plug is the anode rod. It comes out and will drain the water. Stand off too the side when you do this or you may get wet when the hot water starts to flow. By the way, the anode rod is designed to corrode instead of your tank. The rod will need to be replaced when it gets used up so you should know about it. Replacement rate will be dependant on water quality (mine is still good after three years). It is recommended to drain your tank this way and not through the low point drains as crude from the water heater may plug your water line. You can prevent this by turning the hot water exit line valve on the water tank to the off position.

The water lines can be drained by opening the low point drains. I do not know where your low point drains are on your model, mine are in the backmost cabinet on the floor. There will be two of them, one on the cold (the blue line) and one on hot (the red line). If they are not there, look under the camper for two nozzles side by side, the valves will either be there or inside on the floor just above those nozzels. My valves open by pulling up. Be sure to turn the water pump off if you are using your water storage tank. The storage tank can be drained seperately as there is a stopcock drain on the tank. look under the camper, you will see the white tank and the stopcock.
It sounds like a lot but it really isn't once you know where the valves are.

Have a great time this weekend. I am jealous....
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packncycle View Post
Thanks for your help.. I did find that hotwater plug... I guess I need a special wrench to open it. Im sure mine is similar to yours it is a Surburban Since you dont need to replace your anoid for 3 years about, do you still need to drain the hotwater heater every year or more often? a socket wrench will work - I drain every trip, others do not. But you need to rinse it out every so often to - there is a wand that attaches to a hose that fits into the anode port that works well to flush the tank and get that crude out. The more it is exposed to water, the faster the anode rod will corrode (as that is its job) - this rate will also depend on the water quality.

I will have to look again this weekend but I remember seeing the blue and red valves in one of the cabinets as you said and I think mine is near the door. So you open those to drain all the water from the lines? When I open them, where does the water drain to? the water resevior underneath the RV or ??and should I leave them open until the next time I camp or close them after a certain period of time? It drains right onto the ground. I open them and leave them open (as I can not get to them when the camper is closed - hence wanting to move the valves to the outside as I mentioned above) - then close them when I hook up to water.

When you said that opening the hotwater plug is the best way to drain the hotwater heater, how else would it drain? You mentioned about the crud that could block or clog the lines, so does water flow back into the water resevior that's underneath the RV or flow elsewhere that it would cause a clog? If you do not close the inlet line into the tank off from the water lines, opening the low point drain to drain your water lines will drain your hot water tank.

This past weekend I let the hotwater heater fill by running water from city water and opened the faucets and waited until air was out so I assumed by the directions that the hotwater heater as then filled. When I was done I unhooked the city water and opened the faucets and let the water in the lines drain out. Im assuming that the hotwater heater is still filled then? or does it empty with running the hotwater after it being unhooked from water source? The hot water tank is filled in the way you describe. When you say you opened the faucets to let the lines drain, is this with the low point valves still closed? If so, the water did not drain anywhere and is still in the lines. It does not go in to the storage tank as it will not get past the water pump. You can use city water hook up (and do not need to use the fresh water storage tank) while you camp or you can fill the storage tank (it has its own fill tube on the side of the camper) and use the pump to provide water to the lines and water heater. When draining the lines by the low point drains, if you do not shut off the valve on the water line feeding water into the tank (at the bottom of the tank), the water will flow from the tank into the water lines when you drain the lines and drain it. A picture is needed but I do not have one at the moment.

I understand about the shopping.. I have so much fun shopping for the RV stuff. Camping World is not far from me and I could hang out there often.
OH YEAH!!! Shop on....
Old 02-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #51
Site Team

Have fun on your Santa Barbara's trip! I'm sure you will do just fine but we are here if you have any questions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #52

Welcome aboard. We did the same transition as just about everybody else: tent, Pop-up; trailer (Palomino). I took the fresh water tank out of my trailer and brought fresh water with me each trip from home. That tank took up to much storage space. I think we used the stove 2x. mostly we grilled or used the Coleman from our tent days. We didn't have a fridge, just a cooler! DW and I plus the 3 kids! No slide outs!, no heater used a portable electric in cooler weather and 1 oscillating fan in the summer. LOVED EVERY INCH OF THAT TRAILER! Sold it 12 years later for one thousand less than I paid for it. Mostly we stored it indoors in the garage and never put it away wet! It will get wet so make sure you have a place to open and dry it. Box fans really help.

Good Luck and Good Memories!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #53

Hi Packncycle, here are a couple of pics per the PM:

the low point drains (you pull up on the "wings" to open the drain)
Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drain valves.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	46801

this is the socket wrench for the anode rod, the socket size is 1/16

Click image for larger version

Name:	socket wrench.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	46802
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #54

Quote:

Attachment 46801

Attachment 46802
Also, a typical x-shaped lug wrench will usually have a fitting that works on the anode rod, in case you don't want the extra expense of a socket wrench.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #55

Thanks for the pics.. Yeah I dont have anything like that.. those valves look helpful to drain out.. I thought maybe mine doesnt have that because the lines are so short and right where they are is the faucet drain and the outside hole/drain where the sink runs out of. So you'res is very interesting. I can see why you'd want to run them underneath to be able to open up more easily. Also, thanks for the info on the socket wrench.. I went in and asked for the 1/16 and they said that would be too small.. then I realized it was 1 1/16 so I got one and tried it on for fit. I think it will work fine. I didnt push/twist on the bolt, didnt want to loosen it up yet.

I do need to call the Manufacture about the small refrig. I learned that they do take time to get cool, but I felt mine was way too long. I dont know what you or others have experienced iwith these little ones. I didnt turn it on the night before. I just turned on the refrig (electric knob) when I left for my trip and had it hooked up to my car battery through the hook up wires. I thought that would be on through my battery battery. I was driving and out about 4 hrs. The refrig was cool to start. Then I arrived at the camp site at 2pm and plugged in and had the refrig on the coldest setting. I checked it that night and it still wasnt cold enough according to the thermometer. So I waited until the eve of the next day and it was just about there but at the upper end of the refrig temp. So over 24 hrs in fairly cool weather it was barely there. I did put in cool food from the cooler and even the next day it was still at the upper limit of the temp for safe refrig temps. the weather was mid 60's during the day and had sun only about 2 hrs more directed on that side in the morning and then it was in the shade the rest of the day afternoon and night it got to about 40's/50's. With the refrig being on the coldest temp it never got below the upper end of the safe refrig temps. So my concern if its the summer, how in the world it will ever be able to get down to normal temps with hot sun beating on the trailer and it being hot all day and evening.

Quote:

Attachment 46801

Attachment 46802
Old 03-01-2014, 03:19 AM   #56

Do you know how to get back to the thread if you're out of it? I had checked the emails..then wanted to come back and couldnt.. I had to put "newbie" in any thread in order to find it again but Im sure there's a better way to do so. The main way Ive been able to get back is that someone will comment and it goes to my email and I cut and paste the link so it brings me back but Im not sure how to if I dont have the email link.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Do you know how to get back to the thread if you're out of it? I had checked the emails..then wanted to come back and couldnt.. I had to put "newbie" in any thread in order to find it again but Im sure there's a better way to do so. The main way Ive been able to get back is that someone will comment and it goes to my email and I cut and paste the link so it brings me back but Im not sure how to if I dont have the email link.
Left click on your ID name and you'll see an option on the drop down menu saying "Find More Posts by [Your Name]". Click it and you will see a list in order from Newest to Oldest/

You can also left click on your name in the upper right corner and go to your profile. Click on the statistics tab and you will see the "All Posts" option but also one for "All Threads Started".

Hope that helps!
EdHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #58

Red face

Quote:
Thanks for the pics.. Yeah I dont have anything like that.. those valves look helpful to drain out.. I thought maybe mine doesnt have that because the lines are so short and right where they are is the faucet drain and the outside hole/drain where the sink runs out of. So you'res is very interesting. I can see why you'd want to run them underneath to be able to open up more easily. Also, thanks for the info on the socket wrench.. I went in and asked for the 1/16 and they said that would be too small.. then I realized it was 1 1/16 so I got one and tried it on for fit. I think it will work fine. I didnt push/twist on the bolt, didnt want to loosen it up yet.

I do need to call the Manufacture about the small refrig. I learned that they do take time to get cool, but I felt mine was way too long. I dont know what you or others have experienced iwith these little ones. I didnt turn it on the night before. I just turned on the refrig (electric knob) when I left for my trip and had it hooked up to my car battery through the hook up wires. I thought that would be on through my battery battery. I was driving and out about 4 hrs. The refrig was cool to start. Then I arrived at the camp site at 2pm and plugged in and had the refrig on the coldest setting. I checked it that night and it still wasnt cold enough according to the thermometer. So I waited until the eve of the next day and it was just about there but at the upper end of the refrig temp. So over 24 hrs in fairly cool weather it was barely there. I did put in cool food from the cooler and even the next day it was still at the upper limit of the temp for safe refrig temps. the weather was mid 60's during the day and had sun only about 2 hrs more directed on that side in the morning and then it was in the shade the rest of the day afternoon and night it got to about 40's/50's. With the refrig being on the coldest temp it never got below the upper end of the safe refrig temps. So my concern if its the summer, how in the world it will ever be able to get down to normal temps with hot sun beating on the trailer and it being hot all day and evening.
Oh my, so sorry and you are right, 1 1/16 is correct. (guess I missed a number reading off of the the curve of the socket.)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #59

I turn my fridge on the day before an outing (I am on shore power as well) - it is cool enough when I load up about 24 hours later. I have also been known to put a frozen jug of ice inside the fridge to help it along.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #60
Site Team

Pack, i'm trying to understand your fridge issue.
are you saying that you only set the fridge for the 12v DC setting? don't you have a 3-way fridge?
most only use the 12v DC setting while traveling. once they get to the campsite, they set it on the 110v AC IF they have electrical hookups and if not. they set it on the propane side.

in our 17 years of camping with our two popups, we NEVER had electric hookups, since we almost always camped in Calif. state parks. so we cooled ours on propane all the time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags