Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #31

I had an old coachman pop up back in early 2000. Drive that baby up to the poconos in pa and started to crank it up. All of a sudden that pulley cut loose and she dropped in a hurry. Had everyone in the campground staring at me. Hell bent and determined to camp the wknd I ran up to 84 lumber and grabbed a few 2x4's an a box of screws. A few campers helped me lift that roof and prop with some wood. We camped all wknd like nothing every happened. I got some many laughs from people in the campground but it was ok. It happens!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:54 AM   #32

70 Mph huh..?? We dont really have that problem here in CA.. would be kind of nice. Although for trailers (towing behind the car) I learned (had not ever really noticed before) that I will have to drive 55mph. While I want to be careful, its kind of a bum I really cant go faster. Im getting my driveway widened a bit too, it's too tight with the RV and my car I can barely get out of the car and if Im over too far I ride on the sprinkler system which isnt good. After reading your leveling issue, I leveled mine better. I dont want to be putting stress on the cables. I already broke one I dont want to break more or weaken others. Wish they would tell you these things.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #33

I wonder what others have done when cables break when at a campsite.. just go home? Stay in a motel? get the wood beams and try to steak the roof up? I had not even considered that happening out of the blue. Im so glad Im on this website forum because I can only imagine if I were sleeping one night and the cable broke I'd freak not knowing what was happening and thinking maybe an Earthquake or something. Do any of you know of anyone who has been inside, cooking, or other/standing up and boom?? I cant even imagine. Anyway, I cant wait until the end of Feb to go on my first trip/weekend and share the pics and experiences with you all.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #34

We had a large pop-up and used two Walmart $30 lesko heaters while camping last fall when the temps at night fell into the mid 30s. The two heaters did a great job and the big furnace kicked on only a few time each night. We camped for a week and used a single tank of gas.

Congratulations on the new pop-up.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packncycle View Post
I wonder what others have done when cables break when at a campsite.. just go home? Stay in a motel? get the wood beams and try to steak the roof up? I had not even considered that happening out of the blue. Im so glad Im on this website forum because I can only imagine if I were sleeping one night and the cable broke I'd freak not knowing what was happening and thinking maybe an Earthquake or something. Do any of you know of anyone who has been inside, cooking, or other/standing up and boom?? I cant even imagine. Anyway, I cant wait until the end of Feb to go on my first trip/weekend and share the pics and experiences with you all.
From what I understand, the door and those two lift braces you put on the opposing corners of the lift sysem will stop the roof from dropping once it is up. I do not enter the camper without those braces installed. And with the high wall camper, we have a hard sided bathroom, so that should also help. Looking forward to your pics. Are you doing a camp driveway first?
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #36
Moderators' Assistant

our "70's Starcraft popup had two braces also. but our "90's Viking did not.
but it was fragile compared to the Starcraft, which was built like a tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #37

RV Insurance

I was hoping that those lift braces would hold things up ok. I figured they were supposed to for safety but didnt know how well they really worked, but it makes sense. No Im not doing a driveway practice camp. I figure if things dont work as planned such as water/electricity etc, I'll treat the popup as a glorified tent which gets me off of the ground and not worry about electricity etc. If I were just tenting, I wouldnt have all these great ammenities so I'm trying to keep it simple the first time out. Plus, I'll be close enough to civilization that I could go get food, water, etc. I'll do a few of these types of camping before I dry camp. Also, I'll upload pics when I come back. Not going until the end of Feb.

You guys reading this, if you have or had a pop up, did you get the RV insurance in case of breakdowns etc? And if you did, who would you all recommend (I realize you might all have different companies you like) and was was the going cost. I havent looked into it, I get service for 6 months with the new RV package.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #38

You should be getting ready for your first outing. You will have to post how it went. We are snowed in here waiting for warmer weather. As far as insurance, I had a free year with coachnet when I purchased my camper. Never had to use it and chose not to renew as I have it on my auto policy and thought it redundant. Hit a deer while towing the camper, did not hurt the camper at all and my insurance covered the tow truck which towed both the TV and the camper to the body shop. What a sad sight that was, the Durango on the flat bed and the camper on the tow truck's ball hitch.

Here we are covered in snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140218_165226.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	46444
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
You should be getting ready for your first outing. You will have to post how it went. We are snowed in here waiting for warmer weather. As far as insurance, I had a free year with coachnet when I purchased my camper. Never had to use it and chose not to renew as I have it on my auto policy and thought it redundant. Hit a deer while towing the camper, did not hurt the camper at all and my insurance covered the tow truck which towed both the TV and the camper to the body shop. What a sad sight that was, the Durango on the flat bed and the camper on the tow truck's ball hitch.

Here we are covered in snow.

Attachment 46444

Unhappy camper!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #40

It is a sad sight seeing it snowbound but have my camping calendar set and are making reservations which helps pass the time. Oh and thinking of what mods I want to do. And buy things, yes yes yes must buy more stuff. (Winter seems to be expensive).

Tags