Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Novice RV

Newbie - doesn't begin to describe it!

I'm 67 and became very unexpectedly single 6 wks ago. My daughter decided that I should live in an RV behind her just bought but full, house so we bought a 2006 Wildwood and found that there was already an underground sewer line to the septic installed on the property. Had the RV delivered. Huge adjustment and downsizing from a house. I have never even RV'd and I'm overwhelmed by what I don't know. Right now, I can't get my grey tank to empty below 1/3 and I won't even go into what I've learned (mostly from forums and the Internet) in 6 wks about flushing a black tank. I really, really hope that you will all help. I can sure use it. Sandy
clparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sandy. Welcome to FRF. I am sorry for your loss.

I'm positive we can help you with your questions and the challenges of becoming a new RVer. Its a steep learning curve but rest assured that you WILL quickly get the hang of things.

I suggest that you become familiar with the various subforums that we have and post your specific questions where you think it fits best. Plenty of members here will respond, I'm sure.

Again, welcome and good to have you aboard!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Hi Sandy, as Scott says post the questions and you will get answers. I'm new to this too and have learnt so so much from here. Good luck and please don't give up, alot to learn and well worth it.

Bruce
2007 Lexington 300 S/S
2008 Chevy Avalanche (mine)
2006 Jeep Wrangler (hers)
1989 Honda Goldwing (mine)
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!

spend some time familiarizing yourself with all the different sections and sub-forums here.
we have sections for almost every category of question you can have.

if you don't find it, the Community Discussion section is for RV topics that don't have their own section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #5

Welcome, Sandy. If you're just going to live in the RV and not drag it around the country like the rest of us, you'll only need to learn about half of what you'd need to know otherwise (e.g., how big a tow vehicle, what kind of tires, electric brakes or hydraulic, weight distributing hitch or not, etc., etc., etc.?)

You don't say what make/model/year of RV you have. If you have specific questions, it always helps to provide that information. Although most things are ''generic" to a large extent, the best "expert" will probably be the guy with the same model RV you have (if you're lucky and he reads this forum).
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Welcome Sandy, we were all new at this one time or another. Fortunately, now a days you have a place like this to ask questions and get answers.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

She asked a question about the 1/3 meter reading on the grey tank. I gotta run, or I'd respond about it
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clparalegal View Post
Right now, I can't get my grey tank to empty below 1/3 and I won't even go into what I've learned (mostly from forums and the Internet) in 6 wks about flushing a black tank.
The water system can be complicated at first. With the gray tank, are you referring to the lights on the panel (e.g., the lights don't show fully empty after dumping) or are you looking at the gray tank itself to ascertain that it is not fully dumped? If its the lights, then that is unfortunately common as even the gray tank sensors will become gunked up and fail to show the true level.

Or, have you verified the 1/3 level by looking at the tank itself?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

Welcome Sandy. There are a lot of very friendly, helpful and informative people here willing to help you out with any questions. Remember, we were all newbies at one time and learned as we went. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of the RV life style.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11

Greetings Sandy from Minnesota!

This forum is loaded with so many knowledgeable people, just ask and someone is sure to respond. I am still a newbie and am learning a lot from reading other people's questions and learning about RV'ing. I might assume when you say 1/3 full, it is the monitor panel lights that still show the gray tank 1/3 full. Could be a dirty sensor causing the meter to read like it still has water in the tank. Might be able to spray water back up the drain to clean the sensor (they have special fitting where you can connect a garden hose to back flush the tanks). Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum!
RasOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags