Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

newbie from Canada

We are new to Forest River with our Flaggstaff 5th wheel. We need to get in touch with our Flagstaff Customer Service Representative and can find no way to get his or her name. Does anyone out there know who this person might be or how to find his name? We have been on the web site many times and have call using the number on the brochure but can never get an answer. We would truly appreciate help. This forum is excellent. We have learned a great deal and as long time RVers, we hope we can add some thoughts and suggestions of our own. Happy Travelling!!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

As far as I know, Forest River does not have anyone who communicates in an official role with owners, all of this is pushed back to their dealers. This explains why there is little or no information on how to reach them, they do not want to be reached, they want you to contact your dealer.

Have you tried your dealer ?

PS. I too have a Flagstaff - a 19 foot hybrid travel trailer.

* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3

Just phone Forest River and ask for the Flagstaff warranty department. They are easy to talk to and very helpful. I had a few things that needed to get fixed, and they sent the parts out right away, and at no cost.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #4

Front Jack Problems

Thanks for the replies. It is great to know that there are folks out there who are interested in helping. We have had our rig up to our dealer twice but they keep fixing the results of the jack problem, broken bolts and blown fuses, not what's causing the jacks to do this. We can replace the bolts and fuses ourselves and have done many times. We need the jacks fixed or replaced because this has been going on for a year. They won't contact Forest River for us, and say that they do not have numbers for the customer reps, so we have been trying to do that ourselves. I phoned the Forest River number on the brochure and went through all of the names on the directory. There were no answers at any of the numbers we tried. I will call the operator next week and ask for the warranty dept. as you suggested. Many thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

May I ask which bolts you are breaking? That simply should not be happening.
And what model fifth wheel do you have?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Breaking Bolts

Our fifth wheel is the same as yours, year included, but ours has the back kitchen. Bolts are those that connect the square shaft to the legs of the front jacks. The bolt that is closest to the motor broke first because it was too long and was gouging the motor case. We thought that was why the fuses were blowing. We replaced the bolt in a roaring storm down the west coast of Oregon and thought that would do the trick. Not so. We have replaced that bolt and the other connecting bolt on the other side several times. Even grade 8 bolts, which are pretty tough, break as we lower or raise the jacks. We have been standed many times. Got any ideas? Our dealership seems to think the jacks are fine even though a bolt broke as we unloaded in their yard for warranty work. We think the jacks are twisted or not perpendicular to the frame. I would think a twist could cause such stress. Our dealership won't listen to our thoughts and we still haven't been able to contact anyone at Forest River. Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

First off, if you have the rear kitchen, that means that you have less weight on the front jacks than we do, so you should definitely NOT be having issues.
Second, if your dealer thinks the jacks are fine, they are either too lazy to do their job, or are just plain stupid, or both.

Now, if the "square shaft" you are referring to is the one that runs from the head of one jack to the other, and you are breaking bolts there, it is obvious that there is something wrong with the passenger side jack. There has to be a heck of a lot of resistance to shear off the bolts. They are small, but it would still take a lot of force to break them.

My advice would be to block up the passenger side of the camper right beside the jack, lower the camper onto the blocking, then disconnect the "square shaft" and remove the bad jack. It is a very simple job, but if you aren't comfortable doing it, your dumb dealer should be able to manage that much. Once out, removing the top cap and cleaning it out with solvent will allow a thorough inspection. There will probably be something obvious. Once cleaned, you should be able to spin the drive shaft (where the square shaft connected) with no effort.

You could remove the cap and clean it without removing the jack, but you would still have to block up the camper to check operation. And it would mean crawling inside the front compartment to peak inside.

I hope that helps. Main thing is, do NOT put up with your dealer's bs.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #8

Thank you, Crocus. We will certainly do that. Our trailer is still at the dealership and we have refused to pick it up until they have actually made an effort to find the problem. The jacks should just be replaced. Yes there has to be a lot of resistance as these are different bolts that we used and much stronger than the originals. Bolts are breaking on both sides of the driveshaft. We are going to keep trying to contact someone at Forest River. Do you have any numbers or names to contact there. Again, thank you for the time you are taking to help us.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

Sorry, I can't really remember how I got the right number. Maybe try a search on this site. I know the numbers and even names of contact people have been mentioned many times.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Thanks anyway. I have been looking but haven't found anything yet. I'll keep looking. Have a great day!

Tags
customer service, fifth wheel, flagstaff, full timers