Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #21

Tow Vehicle!

Such great information and though more costly than I would like you have convinced me!! So, with that being said, I will add to tomorrows activity list, to look for a new TV!! (or used)
My Toyota has only 18,000 miles on it, so I should get a decent price for it. I will be looking for an 8cylinder gas sucker, ..........does it matter whether the bed is long or short? (I am no truck wizard as you can see!!)
I would rather fork out the dough now rather than on the side of a mountain, .....just me and my pooch, at the mercy of wherever AAA hauls me with an overly tired transmission!!
Better to just buck up and do things right!
Tonight, I will go out and buy a lottery ticket, and tomorrow will hunt for a truck and camper.
It's all good!!
Just a bump in the road!!
Keep that advice coming! LOVE IT!
As far as camping plans.........nothing planned so far.........currently own a 13 foot SCAMP (1981) and will probably sell that when I buy the new 'digs'.
Have one trip tentatively planned to Marianna in Northern Florida to the Florida Caverns.....AWESOME but may have to delay that pending a closing date on the house!!
As I said.....keep those responses coming........am learning alot, and am enjoying 'meeting' some new friends!!
Carol
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Attributed to Mark Twain
caroljg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Personally I would dump AAA and go with Good Sam. AAA will only tow an RV 50 miles if at all. Also Good Sam was cheaper for us.

As for the truck since you are towing a tow behind vice a 5th wheel the bed length doesnt matter. Just make sure the truck can tow the trailer. For instance our GMC Sierra (2011) 1500 SLE with Z60 and heavy duty towing package can tow 9600 lbs. But keep in mind that you have to subtract tongue weight from the carry weight of the truck. IE: ours can haul 1500 lbs (cargo and passengers) so if the tongue weight of the trailer is 700 lbs you have to factor that into what you can load into the truck. Also get a good trailer hitch with anti sway and load distribution. We have the Equilizer Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution. Love the way it works. Your RV dealer should be able to help you with recommendations for the right option of truck and hitch. If you have specific questions you can find me on Facebook: wolfpack1953@yahoo.com

I will go back look at the specs on your trailer.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #23

Ok I see the Dry Hitch Weight is 580LBS, and the Dry Ship Weight is 4949LBS so a GMC 1500 with Z60 and heavy duty towing package, or a Tundra 4.6LV V8 would work.
Check out this link and download and open the towing guide for the year truck you are thinking about. It will give you the towing weights on all the models.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaGinger View Post
Personally I would dump AAA and go with Good Sam. AAA will only tow an RV 50 miles if at all. Also Good Sam was cheaper for us.

As for the truck since you are towing a tow behind vice a 5th wheel the bed length doesnt matter. Just make sure the truck can tow the trailer. For instance our GMC Sierra (2011) 1500 SLE with Z60 and heavy duty towing package can tow 9600 lbs. But keep in mind that you have to subtract tongue weight from the carry weight of the truck. IE: ours can haul 1500 lbs (cargo and passengers) so if the tongue weight of the trailer is 700 lbs you have to factor that into what you can load into the truck. Also get a good trailer hitch with anti sway and load distribution. We have the Equilizer Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution. Love the way it works. Your RV dealer should be able to help you with recommendations for the right option of truck and hitch. If you have specific questions you can find me on Facebook: wolfpack1953@yahoo.comI will go back look at the specs on your trailer.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.......since I will be getting much more truck, my guess is that I will get a bit more trailer.
Attributed to Mark Twain
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #25

We have a 2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 30wfkss. My wife loves the front kitchen in the V-nose. It is out of the traffic flow, has 3 slides and the V Shape makes it tow eaiser.

We went to the Mega RV show in Tampa last Jan and got information overload . After a lot of research we setteled on the 2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 30wfkss. It has all the options and space we wanted including the front kitchen.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #26

I'd caution you on selling your Scamp - at least right away. If you want to take a bunch of little trips or go to rustic or remote places, then you've got the rig to do that. Big trailer is hard to do that with, but definitely more comfortable if you are gonna park for the season.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Camper Less Camping

Awesome move on your part...enjoy!

Happy Camping

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #28

Carol,
Check your PM inbox.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #29

Hey Carol, no need to have a big V8 unless you just want one....our new ecoboost F-150 Supercrew with max tow pkg is rated to pull 11,300, which means 9,000 should be done with relative ease. When you are not towing it rides great and get better mileage than most trucks available regardless of engine choice. We averaged 19.2 mpg combined city/hwy mileage on our 150 mile drive today. It rides great, and is quiet inside as well.

I also purchased the maintenance plan that is good at any Ford dealer, it includes all service on the truck, just one less thing to worry about/deal with.

Towing with a gas engine will USUALLY get you between 8 and 10 mpg. That would be for your Toyota, my new Ford, my last Ford, my last Chevy tow vehicle, etc, etc, etc...it is what it is. The biggest difference between trucks in MPG is when you are not towing, and for us right now that will be most of the time.

Fortunately these days it's hard to really pick a bad truck. I've owned 15 trucks over the years, and have used/abused others in the desert oilfields of Saudi & Algeria. This is how the 1/2 ton gas burners rank from my experience...

1. Ford (duh)

2. Toyota (quality & resale are both usually excellent, but thirsty at the pump).

3. 4. GMC/Chevy

5. Nissan

6. Dodge

Gotta feeling in a couple of years when the truck & TT are paid for I'll probably go back to a new motorhome, our favorite way to RV. Rght now, all things considered, the truck/TT combo is the best way for us to RV .....
PawPawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Enjoying Member

Welcome to FRF.

From one Floridian to another we hope you enjoy your stay. There's tons of advice here and it will help you along your journey. You are in the elite group of those who actually make it to the end and can enjoy the time you have left so grab ahold and enjoy that ride.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaGinger View Post
DunnNC where in Orlando in Nov? We live in Orlando and I'm originally from Durham.
Orlando Thousand Trails just north of Kissimmee on hwy 27 north and @ Fawn Ridge at Deer Creek, 42759 Highway 27, Davenport,FL 33837
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd caution you on selling your Scamp - at least right away. If you want to take a bunch of little trips or go to rustic or remote places, then you've got the rig to do that. Big trailer is hard to do that with, but definitely more comfortable if you are gonna park for the season.

Actually had considered keeping it for that exact reason!!
Attributed to Mark Twain
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #33

Hey Carol something else you need to be sure your truck has is an electric brake unit. In Fla. you must have that to connect to the electric brake on the trailer if the trailer is over 2000LBS I believe. Either way it is best to have it since you dont want to be stopping a 4000+ lb truck and a 4000+ trailer with just the truck brake. Think jack knifing and hot brakes. IF the truck doesnt have one with the towing package it can be added at the RV dealer or U Haul.

So to recap: You need a electric brake unit, a weight distribtution and sway control hitch. These are must have things for safe towing.