Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

Newbie from Indiana

Have our walk-thru on our new 2013 Sanibel 3600 this weekend. Any feedback would be great. Happy and nervous at the same time. We are new to fifth wheels, have much to learn. Hope I can remember all that stuff.
Dude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on your new Sanibel! Insist on a detailed pdi and check out everything. Be sure to ask lots of questions and take good notes. If possible try a bit of driveway camping as it is a great way to get to know your new RV before hitting the road. You should be able to find some pdi checklists here on the forum by conducting a search.

And welcome to the forums!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

This unit will be delivered to our permanent camp site in a month or so. It will be a couple years before retirement and when we move it. Have to upgrade TV before our retirement travels. Thanks for the advice, I contacted the dealer and as for more info on the PDI process. We'll start making our PDI list tonight.
We are trying to make a list of things we need to purchase just to get hooked up at our campsite. If you have a suggestion please pass it on. I know its a 30 amp supply connection at our site. Stuff like that. The black dump is about 15ft away from the unit connection, any ideas on attaching a long hose?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Team

You can get hose extensions or get two full sets to connect together. The 5ft Rhino Flex extension I brought wasn't much less than a new set with a 15" hose. The only time I have used the extension there was only about 1/2 inch of hose to spare.

Search for checklists and then edit it to fit your needs.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Dude57 and congrats on your 2013 Sanibel 3600. If your Sanibel is 50 Amp you will need an adaptor to hook to the 30 Amp service Link: 30 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Adapter with Handle - Intersource Enterprises D11-145 - Electrical Adapters - Camping World. I would suggest a surge protector too Link: Progressive industries RV surge protectirs in stock everyday. I know surge protectors aren't cheap but considering what it would cost to replace/repair all the electronics (TV, microwave, furnace, H2O heater, etc) on your Sanibel it's cheap insurance.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

Thanks. We will be picking up those supplies. Our unit has a six point leveling system. We do not need any level supplies right? The unit has one battery, is it wise to add the second and have two batteries.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

If you plan on doing any boondocking then a second battery would be a good idea, if not then I would skip it.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

I thought about a generator but it sounds like people do mobile generators instead, more option for use. Should we get covers or screens for vents and AC equipment on the roof? We are having a carport installed to keep the roof clean. There are allot of birds and wildlife where this unit will be parked for a couple years. Also thinking of a cover.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

If you can, video record the walk thru...we did that when we purchased our first trailer years ago, and watched it many times when we had questions. Covers for your roof vents are always nice..allows venting without worry of rain.
Enjoy your new toy...
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Definately get vent covers so you can keep them open in the rain. Maxxair are great. Maxxair Vent Corporation FanMate for high powered fans, MaxxAir II for lower power fans like in the bathroom.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

There are also two small round vents on the roof, I'm thinking a screen or something. Fastening it will be the questionable area. I could wrap it around the vent tube and fasten it to the vent tube.

I plan to record important area's during the PDI as recommended. I found the list on the form.

Great to have friendly people to talk with and share the experience.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats on your new Sanibel! I am very envious! We looked at them and really liked them alot but they were a little out of our budget so we opted for a Crusader.

We wish you many years of fun in your new 5'er!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #13

Thank You, we are excited and nervous at the same time. We're coming from a 1979 Yellowstone park model at a permanent camp site by a lake. We've been there about 7 years and really enjoy the weekend get-ta-way. Replacing it with the Sanibel will give us more option as we get closer to retirement. With a price discount of over 30k we decided on the Sanibel. We looked a Redwood's and Jayco. It came down to Sanibel and Jayco, you can guess who won. We hope its a well built unit.

Congrats on your new 5er...lets us know how you like it.

Happy Holidays