Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Newbie from Mass

Hello newbie from Mass planning to go fulltime next year trying to learn as much as possible till then. Fairly sure we've decided on a hybrid, tow vehicle still up in the air..Plannig on settling in St. Augustine went we're done with the road.Thanks.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

St. Augustine is a great place. Just got home a while ago from spending the day there. What CG are you going to stay at? There are several in the area. Good luck & enjoy. BTW, welcome from NE Fla.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Welcome to the forum. Just curious as to you choice of camper to go full time. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Welcome to the forum. Just curious as to you choice of camper to go full time. Later RJD
Agree, I have owned a hybrid for nearly 9 years and would NEVER consider full-timing in it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
RETIRED

What and miss the white stuff. Nothing like getting up on the roof on a brisk January day to shovel it off. LOL

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #6

Hi guy's thanks for the welcome. What's the reason you shouldn't go fulltime in a hybrid. My reason for picking it was ease of towing, and with a slide almost as much room. But for now its still up fot discussion. We plan on going back to a house in St. Augustne.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
Hi guy's thanks for the welcome. What's the reason you shouldn't go fulltime in a hybrid. My reason for picking it was ease of towing, and with a slide almost as much room. But for now its still up fot discussion. We plan on going back to a house in St. Augustne.
a hybrid is basically a popup with hard sides. so if you plan on fulltiming in tent ends, you will have to continually set them up every time you move.
there won't be any way to prevent noise from neighboring sites.

don't get me wrong, hybrids are great for a lot of situations but fulltiming, IMHO is one of them
we've owned our hybrid for nearly 9 years but we're now retired and it won't be great for taking off for 2-3 months. we are planning on getting a TT or 5th wheel to take off for the winter months.

have you ever owned a popup? most hybrid owners are former popup owners that want more amenities but continue to sleep under canvas.

Hybrids aren't for everyone. many newbies buy them for what they offer in a shorter package. but they don't take the canvas ends into consideration. they end up selling after one year because of the extra setup and takedown of the canvas tent bed ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

We don't plan on moving around a lot. Our plan is to pick an area and stay 3 to 4 weeks. The tent ends as far as noise was one of my concerns. No matter what we end up with a screen room was thought about for added outdoor living.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Even so you are planning to go to St Augustine think about weather also with a Hybrid. Heat or air. You can find a better tt for doing full time and I think you would like it a lot better in the long run. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
We don't plan on moving around a lot. Our plan is to pick an area and stay 3 to 4 weeks. The tent ends as far as noise was one of my concerns. No matter what we end up with a screen room was thought about for added outdoor living.
First, welcome to the forum from Huntsville, AL!!

You said in your first post you were going fulltime and in a later post mentioned you were going to buy a house in St Augustine - so which is it? Fulltime or jusy Mostlytime?

I agree with the others a Hybrid is not the ideal full/mostlytimer rig. Consider a lightweight 1/2 Ton towable Travel Trailer or 5th wheel as a minimum, with a large 5th wheel (e.g. Cardinal) or a toy hauler and the ideal fulltime rig. The question now is what type of truck do you own or are you planning to buy.

Think this through or you will be like a lot of us on the forum - bought a lightweight TT and are now upgrading to the more reasonable 5th WHeel for our retirement needs.

Here are a couple of good web sites for you to read regarding going fulltime.

https://www.escapees.com/

and

Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!

This Blog is pretty good - it is about a 30-something couple's eperiences as fulltimers:
Gone With the Wynns

Cheers,

Bob
(Going Fulltime in 2018)

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags