Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Newbie From MD 8317SS

Hello All,

We are a family of 8 including the dogs that travel with us. Our first camper was a 233 Roo which we never had one problem with. In 2008 we bought a 8317SS which has been in the shop more then it has been camping. To list the problems.

*Pin broke in jack
*Bolt heads sheared off front leveler jacks
*Bad check valve in black tank flush system
*Concertone system replaced twice for high pitch squeal, which was just determined to be the converter on the third trip in.
*Machine screw used to replaced broken rivet, screw was to long and flexed plastic molding on slide out and broke it.
*Water leaks in all three front windows that we were unaware of until mold developed in the walls.(system shipped back to factory for repairs)
*every valance was loose when we excepted delivery.

It is currently back in the shop to have the awning,TV and tub checked for issues.

We are not the type of people who expect problems not to arise, that is what a warranty is for and we love the floor plan and the camper out side of all it's issues. We are hoping one day Forest River will make our rig right.

8ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
to the FRF, sorry to hear about your problems with your rig. Hopefully It will be corrected soon. Some people have very few issues and some have all of them, I know I fell your pain. Soon you will be a happy camper.and

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Also sorry to hear about your problems. i've heard a lot about entertainment system problems. Seems like the rush to have the equipment in mid priced RV's outpaced the research and design. Truth be told, i get the impression it's a prominent problem industry wide. Do we need to be reminded about the reasons for going camping in the first place?
ncrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Am sorry to hear about your problems (far more that what you should expect).
I on the other hand have only one problem with a water pump that does not pump and that may be may fault (will know when I get to the dealer).
Please keep the faith that every thing will be fixed and this will be a bump in the road.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
First thanks for the welcome and wishes..The good news, I guess. We sent a letter to Forest River explaining all the problems we have had and expressing the disappointment we had in the camper. They called us two days later to apologize and to let us know they were going to call the dealer and make sure everything and anything they had to do would be covered. Also to let us know they were going to send the dealer a kit for the awning to fix the bowing issue we have, and they would pay the dealer to install it.

Hopefully this will be the last time we go through this.
8ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hang in there with your problems...each brand seems to have some problems...believe it or not. I had a KEYSTONE OUTBACK (which I loved) but it was also riddled with leaks and major problems when I bought it new. Once the probs were worked out....bliss.
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Hang in there. From past experience Forest River will make it right. The problem in Maryland is two of Forest Rivers dealers have a poor rating with the customer. They are both owned by the same person. One of the better FR dealers closed their doors.

Papa Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #8

I feel your pain. We bought a new 2006 Holiday Rambler 29cks and it has been ok, but too heavy for our new truck. We got so sick of trying to pull the darn thing we traded it in on a Flagstaff 829fkss. We have friends who own a rockwood and rave about it so we decided to go shopping. We found a 2009 829fkss at a dealer in Bath, NY and we tried to negotiate a deal. He must have thought that he had the only one left in the world and tried to get top buck for it. Finally got sick of playing his game and started pricing new ones. We ended up ordering a new 2010 for about$1200 more than the 2009, but with many more options. Atrium room, free standing dinette, power front jack, power stabilizers and the exact color that my wife wanted. And, another bonus, it is only 30 miles from home instead of 80, in Newark ny..
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member
fellow Marylander. Sorry to hear about your problems with your unit. Hopefully all of the issues will be behind you shortly and you'll be out there camping. I can feel your pain, we had a pop-up that spent more time with the dealer than us. But we got to keep making the payments so that's something. Hang in there. Have a great and safe camping season!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote