Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Newbie from NC

Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm a newb....
We're are in the process of buying our first 5th wheel, and I'm looking for all the resources I can find.
We are getting a 2015 Rockwood, and I'm excited and scared at the same time, of course. We've been straight tent camping before now.

Can't wait to meet everyone here and expand my knowledge about RV'ing!

Kathy
kat3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Welcome to the forum from Concord, NC.

Where are you located?
Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

We're in Eden, just about 1/10th of a mile from the Virginia line.
I've already learned a lot just lurking here the last few days, and feel like I'm learning 10 new things every 5 mins.
Our signing is next Wednesday morning, and I'm feeling like I'm cramming for an exam! lol
kat3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Welcome from another NC newbie on here...
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Rodney & Patty

Like with most things, everyone has an opinion and their opinion is based on something they have seen and done or heard of happening - it doesn't mean that it will be right for you. I have friends who have a beautiful Heritage Glenn 5er and they still use it as if they were tenting - pack it for each trip, use primarily disposable goods, generally just sleep in the trailer. Even though this works for them, we are quite the opposite. We actually have our 5er stocked with food, freezer included from April till October and we each have 7 days +/- of toiletries and clothes that are always in the drawers and ready at the drop of a dime to hit the road. We treat our 5er as a summer home. The kitchen has as nice of cookware as our home. We eat on Corel and with Oneida silverware. We live every bit as well on the road as we do to home and eat out no less nor more than we would if we were home... We have easy-up canopies that we keep in the underbelly for additional outdoor entertaining and even have one of those pipe frame carports that we erect on one of our long stays.
The best advice I can offer is do what you want to do. Some folks believe that when you upgrade to a bigger trailer you have to stop dry camping - not true. You can still do it and be more comfortable than ever. Just keep track of energy usage for the gas and batteries - buy an inverter generator.
A bigger trailer can also replace motel stays for some trips but keep in mind that some RV Resorts are more pricey than a Red Roof Inn for a quick shower and sleep over. I find comfort in knowing that my sheets are washed and not carrying strange DNA.
The 5er is just a tool to make the hobby of camping more comfortable and easy than other shelter types. Continue to follow the forums here as well as other sites like Good Sam and Woodalls. There is a lot of experience posted on these pages so it's not like you need to make every mistake yourself.

Most of all, welcome aboard and enjoy the new unit...
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Hello and welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #7

Welcome from Wisconsin. Going from a tent to a 5er is a big step but nothing to be scared about. First thing to learn is towing and backing. Take everything else slow and easy and the rest will come naturally. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here to assist you with any questions. Just smile and think, no more campground bathrooms .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags