Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Newbie from Ohio

Hi, We've been seriously looking at the 2009 Rockwood 2604SS. We have a 2003 GMC Savanna van that is rated at 6400 lbs. We need the van because my husband enjoys riding and racing dirt bikes and this allows us to carry bikes without leaving them exposed to theft when we drop the trailer. Will our van pull this camper without being taxed in the mountains going to Florida and Texas? I love the floorplan and so far haven't found a trailer I like better but we just want to make sure our van can comfortably handle it. Dealers say it can easily handle it but I wanted to ask the experts who pull them. Thanks for your advice in advance, I've enjoyed reading posts all evening!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

without knowing what size the engine is and what ratio the rear end is, i would guess, NO.
the fictional "dry" weight of the trailer is 5229lbs. add 400-500lbs. for options and batteries and you'll be at 5729lbs. now, subtract what the weight of the bikes, passengers and cargo in the van, from the 6400lbs. number.

you'll be at or over your max, if you have typical cargo and propane and water.

and it'll definitely struggle in the mountains.

by the way, NEVER believe the dealers. their job is to sell you a trailer, not to worry if your vehicle can tow it. there are too many stories about people believing their dealer until they try pulling the trailer and do permanent damage to their vehicle.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

Races

What part of Ohio are you from. and What kind of racing do you do? We have races in the field behind our house here in SE Ohio and was wondering if you would be participating in this one this Sunday?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Head Rambler

That RV has a GVWR of a little more than 6500 lbs so that'd put you a little over the rating of that vehicle. From the book, it looks like you've got the 2500 with the 4.8l engine. If that's the case the suspension is capable of handling the load. The engine is the limiting factor. In flat land you'd probably be alright but up a hill and you're not going to be happy.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #5

It's the 1500 Savannawith a 5.3 V8 with 3.42 axle ratio. We live in Marion, Ohio but race all over. Mainly Motocross and GNCCs. He also races AHRMA races( for guys who have raced for many years). Not sounding too good right now.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #6

newbie from Ohio

It's the 1500 full size Savanna window with a 5.3 V8 with 3.42 ratio. It has the trailering package too. We live in Marion, Ohio but race all over. Mainly Motocross and GNCCs. He also races AHRMA races( for guys who have raced for many years). We go to Hocking Hills alot to camp and ride trails. But I'm very disappointed with what I'm hearing. I really love that camper. We were hoping to buy something we could camp in for awhile in the winter and I like the rear living room layout with the windows in the back.