Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #1

Newbie in Wisconsin

Wife and I are retired and purchased a 2012 Flagstaff tent camper (625D) with as many bells and whistles we could find, shower, AC, power winch. We are new to this although we are not new to camping, we used to do Civil War re-enacting, so our experience is roughing it.

We bought it from a dealer and everything was checked out to be in working condition. It has been winterized and we have the next six months to do our research and planning.

I have to figure out the gray water thing. It appears I need to buy a low profile holding tank of some sort. I don't like the idea of putting gray water on the ground.

I am also studying boondocking. Although our first priority would be electric sites there will be occasions where that is not possible and we need to plan for that. I have a CPAP and need to power that up. The simplest solution appears to be a rechargeble power pack for that issue.

See ya all at the campgrounds.
Dan
Danwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
RV There Yet?

Welcome from Minnesota! My wife and I just traded in our 2009 625D for a hard side this year. You will LOVE the room that camper has. the weird part is that you probaly have two grey water drains. one for the sink on the drivers side, and one for the shower on the passenger side. you can make an adapter that screws onto the sink drain and some plastic tubing to get it down to your tank.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #3

So I have to have two hoses from two drains into the tank? Trying to visualize that.
Dan
Danwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Illinois. I'm guessing you don't have a grey holding tank attached? I've seen many campers using the suggestion of one on the ground. Typically it has wheels where it can be taken/towed to the dump station easily.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from MN
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwilly View Post
So I have to have two hoses from two drains into the tank? Trying to visualize that.
Dan
that is what our 2009 had. i dont know if they changed anything for 2012, but i doubt it. we used two different totes for ours. we had an 8 gallon tote for the sink and a 3 gallon for the shower. we also adapted the shower drain to a garden hose and had a sewer attachment we could put into the campground drain if we had full hookups.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

Danwilly, a big welcome to the forum. Gray water is nothing more than water, soap, and some food scraps, there is nothing wrong with just dumping it on the ground though there are some campgrounds that forbid it. Many people who have tent campers or popups use a 5 gallon pail and dump it in the nearby woods or brush. Some places in dryer areas even ask campers to water their trees with the gray water. Where the problem comes in is when you dump it in the same spot for long periods of time, sometimes the odor can get a little rank. Some campgrounds sink a perforated barrel in the ground so people can dump their gray water. It's really not any different than the rain coming off a roof with bird droppings in it. You could buy a portable waste water tank like these https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...rtable%20waste.

With your CPAP machine and boondocking you will have to do a search on the forums as there are many members that use them and have figured out what works for them. Some have installed an inverter and extra batteries. It depends on what you decide that works for you.

New to RV's helpful hints by wmtire

will help you understand many of the ins and outs for people who are new to RV camping.

Again,
and enjoy the camaraderie of the rv lifestyle.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Welcome from another Wisconsinite and congrats on your 2012 Flagstaff 625D! Now the long wait until next spring .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

A suggestion for you. Fill out your user profile with your rv's year, make and model, the info will always be in your signature. Then other members will know what you have without having to ask. Also fill in your city, you never know if there may be another member just down the street.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

Also newbie from WI

Hello! Also a newbie from WI.
Valli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Welcome to the group from Illinois
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags