Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Newbie - looking for a helping hand

Hi Folks,

Tom & Carol Goodson here. We have reached that major change point in our lives where we have just finished building our retirement home in Angel Fire, New Mexico. We are planning to sell our home in Dallas (1st qtr, 2016), move to AF, and hope to become official members of the MHing community very soon thereafter.

We come hat in hand for guidance because there is so much that we do NOT know about MHs that it is difficult to even start asking sensible questions. However, the following would be our first effort: questions -
  • a short (<30') class A or a long Class B+/C (25' - 30')
    • so far have looked at the FR3 28DS and the Sunseeker MBS 2400W
  • gas powered or diesel -
    • Mercedes or Ford Powerstroke
    • cockpit noise (ease of communication), highway power
  • pros and cons of slides, i.e., leaks, rattles, etc.
  • generator - diesel, gas, or LP powered and the pros and cons of each
  • exterior TVs - leak problems, durability
  • suspension types - spring or air bags
I may well have violated the forum protocols on my first try by putting too much in this posting. If so, would appreciate guidance on how/where to put the item-specific questions such as listed above.

Happy late Thanksgiving to all. We look forward to lots of input from
you as learned and experienced MH experts. Thanks in advance for your responses.
plapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

Welcome from Tennessee and congratulations on the retirement home.

Plan on spending a considerable amount of time reading the motorhome section on this forum to get a feel for how these folks like or dislike their camping unit. Find a dealer with the heart of a teacher, not a salesman and check out www.forestriverfrog.com. Then load up and meet us at the rally of your choice where you will learn even more.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Hi Tom & Carol, of course every purchase is unique to the buyer, but your questions aren't that hard to answer, you just have to make considerations for yourself, that meet your needs. Class A advantages over Class C are usually a bit more room in the cab, better interior space and styling and sometimes better designer finishes. Class C are considered by some safer and more affordable. Both will have engine noise and similar fuel consumption. You can offset the noise by going to a rear engine bus-style rv, but at a significant cost increase. Diesel will almost double the gas mileage, but again, at a significantly higher cost. I purchased a new class c because I wanted something easier than a trailer, more compact than a class a and hopefully free from major issues. If I wanted to spend significant time in the rv, I would consider a travel trailer and truck combo. It is roughly the same cost as the class c I purchased. I would choose this option because you will have the comfort and conveniences of a vehicle both for the drive and while camping (tow setups for pulling a car are about $2,000) and moving around while traveling (bathroom etc) isn't very safe. If you want the best recommendation, consider used high end class a, something that new is around $400k, but three or so years old about $100-15ok. Prices drop quickly and high end units are usually very well cared for. The biggest secret is that most rv's engine/chassis will far outlast the house part. All tires should be changed every 4 years and maintenance or repairs for class a's can be really difficult and expensive because many shops aren't equipped to handle them. Class c's a little better but truck and trailer, piece of cake...
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags