Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #1

Newbie Question

We are looking at purchasing our first RV, and are just looking for a little advice on our selection. After searching for months, we found a 2010 Georgetown 357QS that seems to suit our needs and our budget. The floorplan is perfect, but some tell me that Georgetown quality is not up to par. This was coming from a die hard Winnebago fan, so I'm not sure if he really knows or is just comparing it against Winnebago standards. I've done some research, and can't seem to find anything official that says the Georgetown (Forest River) quality is lacking. Any Georgetown owners out there with an opinion?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

We just bought a 2011 Georgetown 280DS and had looked at several brands prior to doing so and one was a Winnie Vista. It may have had better cabintry but we didn't like the floor plan of that particular one so didn't go much farther with it. I can't comment on the chassis and quality of construction. It was quite a bit more expensive too.

I really can't comment on ours either since we don't get it till next Saturday! I can say we looked at several brands of RVs including fivers, popups and other campers at an RV show and I didn't see anything there that looked to be any better constructed than the G'town. From what I've read on various forums, Forest River products are built better now than they were several years ago but I have no personal experience with them.

I also think you need to consider what you'll be using it for. If you're full timing, I'd be more concerned about appliances and construction since the wear and tear on one would be higher. If you're like us and taking a couple of long trips a year and using it for a lot of short trips, then perhaps the constuction issues are of less importance?

Then you've got those that will argue with a stump that their MH is the best. It's sort of like the Droid vs iPhone debate!

I think any MH is going to have problems and things will break. That's something an RVer just has to accept and be willing to deal with.

If it's not new, have it checked out by an inspector. If it's new, check out the dealership and make sure they are willing to fix problems that might develop.

Good luck with your decision!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

From a standpoint of quality, the Georgetown line gives you more for your dollar than the other manufacturers. Forest River as a whole in my opinion provides this throughout all of their lines. As for the Winnebago Fan, no different than a Ford man vs. a Chevy man. It's all a personal preference and they're locked in without ever looking at anything else. All manufacturers have their quality issues, don't be fooled to think otherwise. The difference is those other people are paying more based on a name than on the actual product. I attended the RV Show in Timonium MD this weekend and I always manage to find the EXPERT who was in a Georgetown and just blasting it because it wasn't a diesel. His opinion was if it's not a diesel you're wasting money, blah-blah-blah. They both have their pluses and minuses, all depends on where you want to spend that dollar and what works for you and the number of times each year the vehicle will be used. When we were looking for a coach we had a floorplan in mind and looked at what each manufacturer had and the price range as well as options. The Georgetown offered more, better looking interior, more features than the others we looked at and significantly less in price.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

One of the best ways to determine if the product is up to standards compared to the competition, is read as many of the threads here as you care. Every RV has it's quirks, but in general, the people here continually close their entries by stating how pleased they are with their rig from Forest River.....whatever it is.

Just like with cars....GM versus Ford versus Chrysler versus whatever.....thank goodness there is competition to keep the various brands in check to improve their product year after year.

I'm joining in with the others here to say we're extremely happy with our Georgetown given what we were looking for, the quality of features, and what it offers for the price we paid after comparing the others out there. The decision will ultimately be yours.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

Thank you all for your advice. We closed the deal on our 357QS yesterday! Our PDI is scheuduled for next week, and we just can't wait to get out on the road with our new coach. So hopefully we'll be able to come back with experiences of our own to share with others.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Congrats! How exciting. We got ours home yesterday and are on the "can't wait couch" with you!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPPO View Post
Thank you all for your advice. We closed the deal on our 357QS yesterday! Our PDI is scheuduled for next week, and we just can't wait to get out on the road with our new coach. So hopefully we'll be able to come back with experiences of our own to share with others.
Congrats,
Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences..

Happy adventures to you,
Barney