Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Newbie-so very green- RVers - 26 DBH

I can barely contain my excitement about our new RV! We just picked up our 26 DBH and though we have no clue what we are doing, can't wait for our first trip. We were going to test it out for a night at a local low threat camp, but the rain won't quit and looks even worse tomorrow We'll have to wait for next weekend and put in some time practicing because my husband is getting nervous just thinking about parking this bad boy in front of so many experienced campers!

I am excited for all of the fun and learning from all of you! I welcome and newbie tips, driving, packing....whatever ya got!
Bliss9273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Welcome and congrats on the new rv!
Don't worry about setting up in front of us old timers. We'll help out if you need anything! Problems? Heck, we've all had them!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Congrats on your new RV Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Welcome!! You have to learn sometime!!! It won't be a big deal for anyone but you lol we picked up same model and are on our first trip in it this weekend!!
born2ride41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Ahhh the memories from first time setting up my camper....couldn't get latch up on hitch was raising my truck bumper off ground, finally got it off and as it starts slowly sliding backwards realized I forgot chocks! Thankfully stopped that, went mostly well after that except for running over and crushing cheap plastic chocks when leaving. Glad I didn't know any of those around me probably had a good laugh.

Got a class A now...backing up is a dream...towing truck is so simple. Not to highjack, but if your trailer ever becomes too much work check out a motorhome...simplifies life a lot for us with 4 young kids.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Every newbie should do Camp Driveway before heading to a real campground.
That way you can discover problems or questions while at home and can contact dealer or manufacturer or someone here on the Forum.
You can figure out how things work while at home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That way you can discover problems or questions while at home and can contact dealer or manufacturer or someone here on the Forum.
X2, camp overnight in your driveway this weekend. The key is to keep a list of all the things you go back in to the house to use in the trailer for the night.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That's the plan for tonight! We have a three night trip planned for next weekend, so I want to feel more comfortable about setting up and making sure we have what we need.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
X2, camp overnight in your driveway this weekend. The key is to keep a list of all the things you go back in to the house to use in the trailer for the night.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.
Great idea about the running list, I will make sure we do that. I've been watching some of the Youtube videos for newbies, but doing this will help us figure out what other little family specific things we'll want.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2ride41 View Post
Welcome!! You have to learn sometime!!! It won't be a big deal for anyone but you lol we picked up same model and are on our first trip in it this weekend!!
Awesome! Would love to hear how your first trip goes and if you have any good lessons learned to pass on. This camper was the first one I stepped into and though I know that is a no-no, I fell in love, it was EXACTLY what we were looking for. After I checked out the rest that fit our specs and price point there was just no question. I have heard such good things about Forest River campers which is reassuring. Have fun this weekend!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
Ahhh the memories from first time setting up my camper....couldn't get latch up on hitch was raising my truck bumper off ground, finally got it off and as it starts slowly sliding backwards realized I forgot chocks! Thankfully stopped that, went mostly well after that except for running over and crushing cheap plastic chocks when leaving. Glad I didn't know any of those around me probably had a good laugh.

Got a class A now...backing up is a dream...towing truck is so simple. Not to highjack, but if your trailer ever becomes too much work check out a motorhome...simplifies life a lot for us with 4 young kids.
I can definitely see the appeal of going that route, especially after stepping into a few of them and after our kind of scary first trip on the road from the dealership to home! I'll keep that in mind. Right now there just seems to be so much to think about for each phase of the camping process that it's a bit daunting.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #12

It is a lot of work and expense, but it is so worth it. Just enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Newbie-so very green- RVers - 26 DBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss9273 View Post
Awesome! Would love to hear how your first trip goes and if you have any good lessons learned to pass on. This camper was the first one I stepped into and though I know that is a no-no, I fell in love, it was EXACTLY what we were looking for. After I checked out the rest that fit our specs and price point there was just no question. I have heard such good things about Forest River campers which is reassuring. Have fun this weekend!

The weekend was great!! Camper preformed as advertised and we had so much more room than we are used to thanks to the slide! We did run a little short on water which has never happened but that could have been my fault even though I swear the gauge said full lol ! Rain held off after late Friday afternoon! We did find a few things like there is no light or lighting back by the bathroom door I am thinking I can run a wire down the frame and put one under steps and the awning supports hang a little lower then our other camper so we hit our heads a few time lol also going to upgrade the padding for the bunks!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475437991.769317.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	121954Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475438001.602776.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	121955
born2ride41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2ride41 View Post
The weekend was great!! Camper preformed as advertised and we had so much more room than we are used to thanks to the slide! We did run a little short on water which has never happened but that could have been my fault even though I swear the gauge said full lol ! Rain held off after late Friday afternoon! We did find a few things like there is no light or lighting back by the bathroom door I am thinking I can run a wire down the frame and put one under steps and the awning supports hang a little lower then our other camper so we hit our heads a few time lol also going to upgrade the padding for the bunks!!!Attachment 121954Attachment 121955
I'm glad that you got out and started enjoying your new camper. Some people use pool noodles to pad areas they tend to hit their heads on. Not sure if it would work with the bunks but thought I would mention it just in case.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss9273 View Post
I can definitely see the appeal of going that route, especially after stepping into a few of them and after our kind of scary first trip on the road from the dealership to home! I'll keep that in mind. Right now there just seems to be so much to think about for each phase of the camping process that it's a bit daunting.
What was scary about your trip home. We might be able to help rectify that.

Practice backing in an empty parking lot. Practice backing straight and practice backing into sites on both sides of you. Get walkie talkies and use them for guiding instead of hand signals. Use drivers side/passenger side instead of left right. This will save many arguments later.

Do not be afraid to ask or accept help. We were all new once. I hauled horse trailers since i was 16. I still needed help getting my old 30' tt into its site on the first trip. Got really good at that. Upgraded to a fiver and almost hit a tree backing into my site. . Think of it this way, watching people back in is one of the great campground past-times. You are just providing entertainment for someone else.

Make a checklist for setup and take down. Stick to your list affront get distracted. Hang something from your antenna crank to remind you to lower it before leaving. Chock your wheels before disconnecting and don't undo your chains until after disconnected. This will help you if you forgot to chock your wheels. Also, don't get the cheap plastic chocks, get heavy duty ones like these. and levelers like these.

Don't forget to get a water pressure regulator and a surge protector to keep your trailer safe. Finally remember to keep a sense of humor and laugh at yourself.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #16

It was the fear that we were going to hit something every time we turned. Just not being familiar with towing anything in general. We've got our first trip and lots of back and forth to the storage lot under our belt so feeling better now. Though I'm 99% sure we hit the check out mail box on our way out of the campground this weekend!

This weekend our spot was right between two trees and we got there after dark! Thankfully there were some pros parked across from us that saved is and guided my husband into the spot. I probably would have gotten him stuck or damaged the trailer!

We have Camco leveling blocks but have already crushed one of the cheap plastic chocks

We almost forgot the regulator! I will definitely get a surge protector if you have any suggestions. Hopefully next time we are there early enough to sit back and watch other people back in

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #17

Welcome to the RV life! I hope you have many years of enjoyment with this, or your next RVs!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags