Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Newbie Travel Trailer Owner

Hello everyone, my wife (Erica) and I just purchased a used 2005 Wildwood LE in superb shape. We will be picking it up in a few short days. We plan to drop it at the campsite my folks reside at in New Carlisle, IN.

We live in the chicago suburbs with our two young boys (Jacob and Zach) ages 3 and 18 months. We have enjoyed Hudson lake for many years and have outgrown the living space in my parents park model.

I have a few questions:

I have never towed a trailer this long before. The unit is a 37' bunk house model. I have towed a 20' boat before, but I am little nervous towing a 12,000 pound trailer. We will be using a 1-ton Chevy dualie. Any tips for a newbie to tow? I anticipate a long slow ride from Illinios to Indiana driving at the speed limit.

I heard the factory manual is pretty useless, are there any good reference materials for owning a travel trailer?

I think that is it for now.

Tamelesstgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Make sure you have a good class V hitch receiver. I would not use anything less than an Equal-i-zer brand hitch, great investment. Make sure the TT tires are good brand and proper rating for that much weight. I would not travel more than 60-65mph with that size TT. Those are the main things that come to mind right now.

2007 Forest River Cherokee 30F
* 14K Equal-i-zer hitch
* TST tire pressure monitor
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
While my TT is only 29', I travel at 65 mph. I see others that dirve at 70 and 75 mph, but I feel safer at 65 and I don't have to fight traffic, I just let them pass. I do have the proper size Equal-i-zer hitch for my trailer (yes it makes noise when turning). The only other thing is white nuckle's for the first little bit, until you get use to it.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
The individual manuals for each appliance is by far a better reference anyway, than any generic manual covering the whole camper in general. Most any questions you can muster up can be asked on this forum, and somebody will respond with an answer. There is a great deal of knowledgable folks right here on this forum!!! Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
I have a lot of friends that pull car haulers with their race cars. I got some good advice about stopping, turning, and other basic things to beware of. I am feeling more confident, but will still take my time and enjoy accomplishing this feat.

Looking into modifications, cause I can't seem to ever leave anything alone, ha ha.
Tamelesstgr is offline   Reply With Quote