Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Newbies need advice

Great forum! We are new here and are looking for advice. We had hoped to use our Toyota Tacoma with a Vibe and sacrifice taking the bike. Thanks to a few suggestions, that has changed! We are now looking at buying a truck and haul a bit more of a trailer. We are on a budget, only wanting to spend around $50,000 (so looking at used).
Goal: a travel trailer for two (no pets/children/friends) economical space but hubby is 6'2" so can't be too small. 19' to 25 ' max. We will take trips lasting one week to three weeks for the next two years. Hope to go for months at a time after that.
What is the best truck we can load the bike (2003 Ultra Classic Harley using loader: http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html) and pull 19'-25' max trailer. We hope to find a used one. Looking at Ford 250, Chev 2500 or Toyota Tundra (using USAA buyer service). Is this possible?
Thanks!
Bill and Debbie

Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #2

Welcome. We purchased a new to us truck / camper a few months ago. We were in the same boat as you at the time. If you go onto Craiglists and/or Ebay you should be able to find someone selling the truck / camper together. We were able to find several and settled on a 2008 Chevy 2500 crew cab diesel with only 33,000+ miles and a 2008 36ft 5th wheel only used 5 or 6 times. We received a great deal paying under $50,000. The owners just wanted to get rid of it since they weren't using it. It took me 3 or 4 months to find what we wanted but only because we wanted to see what was out there and didn't settle on the first one we found. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #3

Thanks! Great idea! Congratulations!
Tell us about some of your travels.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

A few weights are going to be needed to help us decide- specifically, how heavy is the bike? I saw on the cruise ramp thing's site that it is about 350 pounds.

Basically, to stick within all of your truck's ratings- the 2 that you're going to have the hardest time staying within are:
- GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) - the amount the truck is rated to carry
- Rear GAWR (gross axle weight rating) - the amount the rear axle is rated to carry

Basically, the GVWR needs to be able to carry everything in and on the truck- specifically the truck weight, your and hubby's weight, this cruise ramp, motorcycle, tongue weight (10%-15% of the loaded camper's weight) and anything else that you carry in the truck with you.

The rear GAWR will be challenged because of carrying the motorcycle in the bed as well as adding tongue weight to the rear.

You can figure out most of this by best estimates and a little bit of weighing. You know your and hubby's weights. You can weigh the motorcycle and get its weight. The lift's site says it weighs about 350 pounds. And you know a typical load for what you put into the truck (food, snacks, drinks, electronics, etc).

So then, the wildcard is the camper's tongue weight. The *average* is for people to add 1,000-1,500 pounds of stuff above and beyond the dry weight of the camper that you're looking at. Then, being conservative, pick 15% of that number.

Add all of that together and that's what you need in available payload.

I also would assume that the rear axle is going to take the brunt of the bike and tongue weight. Though a weight distributing hitch (WDH) will spread the tongue weight around a bit.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
Great forum! We are new here and are looking for advice. We had hoped to use our Toyota Tacoma with a Vibe and sacrifice taking the bike. Thanks to a few suggestions, that has changed! We are now looking at buying a truck and haul a bit more of a trailer. We are on a budget, only wanting to spend around $50,000 (so looking at used).
Goal: a travel trailer for two (no pets/children/friends) economical space but hubby is 6'2" so can't be too small. 19' to 25 ' max. We will take trips lasting one week to three weeks for the next two years. Hope to go for months at a time after that.
What is the best truck we can load the bike (2003 Ultra Classic Harley using loader: http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html) and pull 19'-25' max trailer. We hope to find a used one. Looking at Ford 250, Chev 2500 or Toyota Tundra (using USAA buyer service). Is this possible?
Thanks!
Bill and Debbie
You have some choices available to you. A toyhauler TT or a TT and load the Harley in the back. If you look at toyhauler floorplans, they're dual purpose and tend to be a little spartan which may not suit you. Lots of TT choices in the length range you mention with and without slideouts.

With either choice, I think you're looking at a 250/2500 due to payload, particularly if you plan to load the MC in the back of the truck. I'm not sure of the length, but probably you'll need a truck with a 8' bed.

The next question will be gas or diesel which has been thoroughly debated here and on other forums. For absolute towing power, the diesel can't be beat.

Good luck in your search.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #6

Wow

Great information! I'm pushing for a toy hauler but he hates to waste "luxury" space on a garage! Based on all this, we probably need a 3500, but trying to go somewhat light weight! Our 800+ pound bike is on the heavy end. He doesn't want a lighter bike because we both like the comfort of the bigger bike!
Back to the drawing board.
Really appreciate your input!
I'll check out your blog!
Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A few weights are going to be needed to help us decide- specifically, how heavy is the bike? I saw on the cruise ramp thing's site that it is about 350 pounds.

Basically, to stick within all of your truck's ratings- the 2 that you're going to have the hardest time staying within are:
- GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) - the amount the truck is rated to carry
- Rear GAWR (gross axle weight rating) - the amount the rear axle is rated to carry

Basically, the GVWR needs to be able to carry everything in and on the truck- specifically the truck weight, your and hubby's weight, this cruise ramp, motorcycle, tongue weight (10%-15% of the loaded camper's weight) and anything else that you carry in the truck with you.

The rear GAWR will be challenged because of carrying the motorcycle in the bed as well as adding tongue weight to the rear.

You can figure out most of this by best estimates and a little bit of weighing. You know your and hubby's weights. You can weigh the motorcycle and get its weight. The lift's site says it weighs about 350 pounds. And you know a typical load for what you put into the truck (food, snacks, drinks, electronics, etc).

So then, the wildcard is the camper's tongue weight. The *average* is for people to add 1,000-1,500 pounds of stuff above and beyond the dry weight of the camper that you're looking at. Then, being conservative, pick 15% of that number.

Add all of that together and that's what you need in available payload.

I also would assume that the rear axle is going to take the brunt of the bike and tongue weight. Though a weight distributing hitch (WDH) will spread the tongue weight around a bit.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Missing Link

If I was in your shoes with just my wife, myself and the bike it would be fifth wheel toy hauler in the 23-26' range.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
If I was in your shoes with just my wife, myself and the bike it would be fifth wheel toy hauler in the 23-26' range.
I don't think there's any 5th wheel toyhaulers in that length range...most are 35+ feet in length.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I don't think there's any 5th wheel toyhaulers in that length range...most are 35+ feet in length.

Dave
Your probably right. Thanks for ruining what I thought was a good suggestion Dave. lol
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #10

We actually looked at a fabulous 5th wheel toy hauler that maximized the space. Just not sure I could haul a 5th wheel!
Debbie

Tags