Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Jan Goldfield

I know I can. It's a bit daunting at first, starting this at almost 70. But I have tent camped all my life, including an entire year on a motorcycle, in a tent, with a couple pair of jeans, and a few pots and pans. I am feeling more and more confident each day. Oh, and my parents had RV's for decades.
The hitching up seems easy now that I have picked it up and looked at it. Tomorrow the electrician comes to install a 30 amp circuit in the house so I can have AC while I continue inside renovations. Oh, and stock the kitchen, bath stuff, put new mattresses on the beds and all that.
Camp Driveway this weekend!

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #12

Old lady????

Welcome to the best trailer forum we have found. Don't worry about the vocab.. this is the place to learn it and anything else you need to know about r.v.ing. It sounds to me like old is just a state of mind that you are thinking about now and then. Your 70 years gives you about 8 more years of experience than we have so don't be surprised if we have questions for you one of these days. With your can-do attitude I think you will be just fine. Hope to meet you some day and in the meantime . Old Guys

Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Jan Goldfield

I'm not really old. It's just that some days I feel like I might be.
The AC is hooked up. The couch is out. Now that I have the inside looking awful, we have been invited to go to Tickfaw State Park in Louisiana this weekend with 2 other RV's. They have lots of experience and know what to do and how to do it. I won't get the new chairs in or the finish work done, but am gonna go anyway just to learn. We are excited. Camp Driveway can wait.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #14

Pondlady, I just bought my 20' Nash Easter, although I've made a few trips I'm also a rookie! Wanted to wish you luck this weekend...I know you'll do well. The experienced company you are with will be a great asset!
BTW...Thanks for the link to the pond forum...That is going to help me with a project I'm currently working on!

Keep us posted on your adventure(s)........

2003 Nash 19B
2000 F-150
Days camped so far in 2010... 20
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Jan Goldfield

I look forward to seeing you at pondlady dot com. We have fun there, just like here, but with water. I am schlepping things to the RV now wondering how much I will forget. It's just camping off the ground and heaven knows I've done enough of that on the ground. If I can remember that much, I should be fine.
You are less a rookie than me, Pourme. And good luck with your pond.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #16

you go girl

Right on. Forget the driveway and enjoy the weekend. When we bought ours we brought it straight home and then let it sit for 3 months till the first trip in Feb. to Florida. It was also first time camping in about 15 or so years and that had been with a hardtop trailer. If a klutz like me can do it you will be fine. Old Guys
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #17

Pondlady-
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new camper. I'm sure that you will be able to get any problem you may come up with resolved here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #18

That "piece" you are referring to is probably the hitch head ( the part with the ball on one end and the square heavy iron bar at the other end. The square part fits into the open square part (the "receiver") on the back of your truck and is held in place by a pin that looks like a little round hockey stick, with a big metal locking pin through the straight end. If it does'nt look like a little hockey stick, then it is likely a type with an integral lock, which locks the hitch head into the receiver. Thus preventing someone from stealing your trailer, complete with hitch head assembly when it is hooked to your tow vehicle. You still will need some sort of locking device which will lock your trailer hitch onto the hitch head when hooked up. These are available at all dealer parts and accessory departments.\

...VTX-Al
Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Jan Goldfield

Yup, that's it. The seller neglected to leave the pin and key, but I borrowed one from a neighbor. Got hooked up just to find that the electrical cord receiver on the truck has been damaged and has to be replaced/repaired before I can hook up the trailer lights. Do I dare drive without lights????? Dunno. Gonna try to get it to the dealer and see if they can fix it tomorrow AM, but got my doubts.
The trailer has now been hooked up, moved and backed up. Yippee.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #20

pondlady,

You will love Tickfaw SP.
Of all the nice State Parks in LA, that is our favorite. I believe mostly because it's only 35 minutes from home, only 30 RV camp site, very shady and quiet.