Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

Newest Member - a REAL NOOBIE!

I joined because after looking at many RV's, I think the SunSeeker 2500TSC may be the unit for me. I am retiring after 45 years of hard work. It's just me and the wife along with my best friend, a rescue dog named, LoLo, short for Piccolo. I live in Hollywood, MD which is 4 miles North of California, MD, since I am sure you all know exactly where that is! We are brand new to the world of RV and are anxious to learn and experience the RV adventure. I spent 20 years in the Navy and 25 more supporting the Navy as a defense contractor, so I have seen most of the world, but not a lot of my own USA. An RV seems the way to go and LoLo can go right along with us. We are planning to attend the Hershey RV Show on Fri and Saturday to learn more about this and I am reading forum after forum. I can use all the advice you have. Hershey will be our first experience with MASS RV'ers, ad we hope to meet you all! Thanks for the warm welcome!

/s/ Floyd
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service. I lived in MD for almost 20 yrs (dad retired out of the army at APG to bel air back in the 80's) and I have to say I never heard of Hollywood or California MD. Just looked it up, it looks like a wonderful location, especially for a retired navy guy.

For the rv show, realize hershey is a big show and as such can be a bit overwhelming. Take notes ie sunseeker - has xyz features but dislike cabinet space or whatever. At the end of the day sit down with your notes and input them into a spreadsheet. I usually did features that were important to us,across the top (ie price, length, Weight, kitchen island, etc), and make/model down the side. Doing this will help you cross some rigs off your list and give a fair comparison of the top competitors.

Take your time and imagine your usage. Are you looking for full hook up (typically private rv parks), partial or water/electric hook ups (state parks and national parks), or boondocking/dry camping (no hook ups)? The less hook ups means needs for larger grey and black tank sizes, no water hook ups could mean a need for larger fresh water tank. Dry camping, make sure you get enough generator power or solar power to get the power you need. Now think about where you will put things (ie moms clothes in this cabinet, dishes in that cabinet, dog bed over there.) Do this for outside storage too (wood, tools, chairs, etc). Will you be having grandkids join you? Is there sleeping space for them (ie fold out sofa, fold down dinette)? Will you be towing a toad? Can this handle the weight of that toad going up hills (think about usage in Appalachian mountains as well).

When discussing price, shoot for 25-30% off MSRP. I like to look at rv trader.com and compare prices. I find a the lowest price (throw out anything in shipshewana IN area) and compare features. I then go back to the local dealership with the price and options. I allow them the difference in options cost and what it would cost me to get the unit.

Next comes the pdi.... videotape it. If it opens, closes, turns on or off you want it demonstrated and you return demo. Check caulking and for any sign of leaks. Even climb on the roof to check it out. Have them show you how to winterize and dewinterize. Learn where your water pump and water heater are. Do not hand over anything other than the deposit until you are satisfied that everything is in working order and you are good with operating it.

Once you own it look into the Geo method for tank management. Skip the fancy stuff and get yourself a good rhino sewer hose (@ least 20-30 ft), white fresh water hose (50 ft), water pressure regulator, a good surge protector with over/under protection, and a 50/30 amp adapter.

Happy hunting.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #3

Welcome!

Welcome Floyd and family! You're starting off on the right foot... seeking advice BEFORE you buy. About the only free advice I would have.. and worth every penny at 50% off... would be to not sink your whole nest egg into one rig. It's after you buy that things start getting expensive.

Forest River folk (frogs) are really decent.. even to squids. Don't hesitate to hit up this forum if any questions arise. No matter how trivial there is almost always some helpful soul about.

It's still a buyers market so don't be shy about hitting up your dealer for the factory extended warranty. Not the one he wants to sell you for a small fortune... the 2nd year factory warranty.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
ARLO

When you see what you want, look at the next size up. one of the biggest mistakes is buying one that appears to be perfect and finding out that it is not quite large enough. Other needs; a second water hose, 25". An extra 25' power cord. Rhinoflex sewer hoses are great. Have an extra length for when you are not close enough to the sewer and a folding sewer hose support. The plastic ones york fine. some units have two sewer drains instead of one.hahe enough hose to accommodate your needs.if needed, get some leveling blocks and Wheel chocks. We use the yellow plastic ones.

We bought much of our kitchen stuff at garage sales. Taking a couple of "maiden voyage" trips with it and camp near a Camping World and Walmart.The fastest way to realize you need something is to have it not there when you need it.

Good luck and Welcome.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #5

Welcome from a fellow marylander. Hersey rv show is huge and we enjoyed looking at all the campers. Take your time. We went to the shows for years as we enjoyed looking at them but I really never thought we would buy anything (we were tenters for many years) but yes we eventually bought and we love it. We also gave our purchase a lot of thought, what we wanted and how we would use it.

I would suggest also going to the maryland RV show. It is smaller, has the maryland dealers, and is held twice a year at the md. State fairgrounds in timonium. We went to the shows to look only. We sat in the campers and thought about how we would use it trying to anticipate any issues. We found what we wanted but went to the dealer after the show to make the final deal. ;-)

You may want to explore renting one for a weekend trip to try it out before deciding. Though they are not cheap to rent, it may avoid a more costly mistake of buying a floorplan that does not suit you as well as you thought it would (this is even more important if you have never camped before). And may even bring up issues you had not thought about.

Happy hunting and many happy trips. Maybe we will see you at a campfire....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Welcome Floyd and thank you for your service. Great advice from above posts. Just remember we were all new to this RV stuff at one time and learned as we went. Lot's of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people on this form.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

Thanks. No Squid here. 100% Naval Aviator!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice

I appreciate you taking the time to help out this new member. I love to research things, but advice from veteran RV'ers like this forum is worth a bunch and will save me from making mistakes! Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwarren View Post
Thanks. No Squid here. 100% Naval Aviator!
I'm going to have to really apologize for that one, Floyd. Pre rv I was a AFCON 3rd wing PACAF F22-A Lt Col. Well met and my apologies for the squid remark. I really showed my @$$ on that one. No offense intended.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #10

And thank you for your service also. No offense meant and none taken! I spent 20 years in NAVAL AVIATION flying around in a big 4 engine P-3 aircraft catching submarines and doing systems acquisition management when on shore duty. I loved every minute and would never have retired if they had let us continue flying after making Commander. Happy camping!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #11

Totally off topic, but they'll deal. You had an Orion? It's a bit different these days isn't it. I'm sure I could look it up, but whats the MTOW like? I can imagine it must have been a major feat trying to manually keep quads in sinc. I would love to try and fly one, but quite honestly.. I lack the skills! Now it's all about fast, faster and dumbed down to the point a guy could practically take a nap.

As far as I know P-3c's are still in pretty heavy service. Not too many months ago I had the occasion to make a flight up North in my personal craft and saw a few sitting out on the tarmac in Vancouver.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, let's swap some stories.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

Thanks for your service and happy retirement Floyd. Hershey should be ideal for narrowing things down. That's how Tampa worked for us last year. You'll get lots of good advice here...before and after your purchase...and it will keep you out of trouble! Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote