Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Thumbs up Not a FR owner yet. But seems the best option for us.

Hello, We are Maria and Paul Wilson and we live in the Tampa Bay Area.

I have been a traveler a lot of my life, and later my wife joined in. I intend to start back doing a lot of traveling/camping again, as soon as I get everything set-up.

Back in 1990 we bought a new 1990 Dolphin RV. Yes, I know it is not a Forest River product. lol But we drove that Mini-RV everywhere and I used it for everything. But a Vehicle like that would not suit our purposes now.

Both of these images are a "few" years old. lol

I now have a new 4x4 Tacoma Truck and looking to pulling a small, but nice, and well built TT to use as a kind of temporary base, while I take the Tacoma and the Truck Bed "photo blind" (that I am trying to build) out on photo shoots. I also might want to drag the TT to a few out of the way places. :-)

We have went through looking at many different types of Camping vehicles that we considered. Everything had too many problems or not enough benefits! Or was not what we thought they were.

Admittedly, I have things that make it harder to find the right vehicle (and some dealership/sales people seem to hate that lol). Since we traveled for many years in our Min-RV. With all the traveling we did in the Mini-RV, I know what works and what does not while traveling in our style. IMHO

And one last complication is that I have a Yamaha Super Tenera Motorcycle, that at times I might want to take with me. (That is why I am building my own "photo Blind" for the truck. I will set it up so I can put my Motorcycle back there when needed.)

So I am NOW seriously considering a smaller Forest River product like a "18FBRS - Micro Lite Travel Trailer" or "2104S - Mini Lite Travel Trailer" or something similar.

So I hope in the coming days or weeks, that you all will not mind being peppered with some questions about these TTs.

Because it is a little confusing that FR has, I believe six (6) manufactures that make basically the same TT. (Add to that at least one other manufacturer who makes a similar TT.) And unfortunately the dealers here in Florida, just don't seem to carry any of those products. (What the heck, one dealer listed on the FR site is already apparently out of business.)

Sorry for the long post. I though I would just put it all out there.

Thanks, whew!

Paul

Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Hey guys ~ welcome ~ haven't had a chance to check out those floor plans yet, where have you looked? LazyDays is where we purchased our Roo (used) but they do carry some new campers as well. Digna was our sales rep and she was awesome ~ a consumate professional and very pleasant. Just be armed with knowlege where ever you shop. Hit the internet to know true values, etc.

Happy Hunting!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #3

I would take a good look at your Tacoma spec for towing. Then look at what the Gross weight on the trailer your wanting to buy. The torque on the Tacoma and how much weight your willing to pull. Then thank about renting something close to the weight and size for a weekend. And see how the truck does. Post some spec for the truck for towing and torque. Post some trailer dry weight and the gross weight. Let everyone on here help find a good size
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
Hey guys ~ welcome ~ haven't had a chance to check out those floor plans yet, where have you looked? LazyDays is where we purchased our Roo (used) but they do carry some new campers as well. Digna was our sales rep and she was awesome ~ a consumate professional and very pleasant. Just be armed with knowlege where ever you shop. Hit the internet to know true values, etc.

Happy Hunting!
Thanks! Yes, we have been to LazyDays several times over the last few months. Actually three times I believe. The first two times the sale person quit working there right after he talked to us for some reasons. lol And then this last time. Well, uh.... Let's just say, the used RV I went and looked at had some problems.

I have been keeping watch on all the websites for something, but the last time I was just one day late. If it was what it supposed to have been. Bu I will keep at it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I would take a good look at your Tacoma spec for towing. Then look at what the Gross weight on the trailer your wanting to buy. The torque on the Tacoma and how much weight your willing to pull. Then thank about renting something close to the weight and size for a weekend. And see how the truck does. Post some spec for the truck for towing and torque. Post some trailer dry weight and the gross weight. Let everyone on here help find a good size
Thanks. I have all that down pat. I bought the Extra "Toyota Towing Package" which means I have a "Tongue load" of 650 lbs, and "Towing Capacity" of 6,500 lbs. And a GCWR of 11,100 lbs. With my extra towing package. The Towing package includes Class 4 Towing receiver, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 130 amp Alternator, 7 pin connection, and "Trailer-Sway Control".

All the models I listed, far well under those specs. I am also on one of the largest Tacoma Forums for information also.

Most of the TTs, GVWR, I have listed are all under 5,000 lbs, I believe. With the heaviest being a "Roo 21SS" that is "Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,267 lbs, with GVWR 5,687 lbs. I believe. It does get confusing keeping track of this one or that one.

But my Tacoma does have a Curb weight of 4070, and GVWR of 5350. Which means I ONLY have a "Payload" for the bed of 1,280 lbs. (That is not much at all. And why I am not looking at Campers.) I had one Sales Person at a RV Dealership try to sell me a Pop-Up camper with a "dry" weight of a little over 1,500 lbs. I told him that ALONE put me over and he said they could send the Tacoma to get "re-springed" and they do it all the time! Yeah right! I kind put a quick end to that sales trip, right after that!

Maybe someone here can explain the differences, if there are any, between the six (6) different brands by Forest River that all make these same models?

Is one "Brand" better than the other ones? Here is the list I researched of the brands that Forest River has, that makes the same or almost the very same models that I am interested in.

Evo
Mico-Lite Forest River Flagstaff
Mini-Lite by Rockwood
Roo
Shamrock
Surveyor

Thanks

Paul
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

It sounds to me like you need to do some more travelling to go see trailers. It might be several lengthy trips to RV dealers that have models you might be interested in.

When we went shopping last year I knew what we we wanted from looking at the floor plans. We were going to order from RV Wholesale in OH & go pick it up. A local dealer had one 2109S & matched the price saving a trip to OH.

While we really don't need the slide in the 2109S, it does provide extra room (I am guessing you have a dog). You have full access even with the slide in.

If you have any questions on the 2109S, feel free to ask. I hope you have good luck shopping.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

FR only has "twin brands" that make the same TT.
there are no 6 manufacturers that make the same TT.
"twin brands" are common to the RV industry. Winnebago has been doing it for years.
it allows two different dealers to have "exclusiveness" to a certain brand but FR can have 2 dealers selling their products.

"twin brands" examples are Roo/Shamrock, Rockwood/Flagstaff, Micro Lite/Mini Lite, Sierra/Sandpiper and a few more.
Roo/Shamrock lines are strictly Hybrid/Expandable trailers. don't really compare with the others since they are quite different.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote