Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Old salt camper, new member and new to RVs

Dear members,

Greetings to you all, hoping to exchange ideas about camping (which I have not experienced in 20 years) in addition to learning about RVs and associated lifestyle.

I'm currently in the market for some type of RV to take on a vacation next year. My first thought was a motor home, they seem to be plentiful around this area but since I already*have a tow vehicle for my boat, a tow behind may be the way to go. I'm really confused at this point and to top that off I'm looking at older rigs as I don't want to invest too much right off the bat.

Regards
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

You've got quite the journey ahead of you and I wish you all the best. Make sure to check out our various subforums regarding the different RVs you are considering.

There are a lot of great floor plans in tow-behinds and its a great way to go if that's what your current TV can handle. We've owned a number of these from a pup, to hybrids and a small TT and they were all great for our situation at the time we owned them. Including our current hybrid.

We've considered MHs in the past. We like the ease of setup and departure and the room while towing. We would go this route if we planned to full-time it or travel for months at a time with short stays. Just not ready for one more engine to take care of.

We've also looked at 5ers for the extra room these offer and the only thing that ever held us back was how to load a family of 5 and a big dog into a pickup. But, the sheer amount of living space and cargo is hard to beat.

It's really dependent on you and your family and how you wish to travel. Since its been awhile since you last RVd, you might want to rent a MH, TT and/or 5er to see what you really like.

Lots of choices. Good luck in your search.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

I'll lurk around a bit more. My experience is limited primarily to tents, however, we did borrow a 1950s Airstream one summer and several times rented a park cabin. That engine thing you mentioned is what is giving me some reservation as well.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote