Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

On the road in Texas

My wife and are taking the plunge to full time, after returning a bit early from a three year mission trip to Uganda.

We’ve been downsizing steadily over the past five years, originally with the intent of buying a Flagstaff Forest River and traveling the USA.

It’s a long story, but Uganda and working with special needs children and adults came up sort of unexpectedly. We gave up the lease on our small Fort Worth apartment, asked a friend if they’d store/sell our pick-up, quite literally gave away everything we owned except for what we could pack into four suitcases, and flew 36 hours and nine time zones around the globe, to Nkokonjeru, Uganda, Providence Home, and the Little Sisters of St Francis.

A health issue, pretty much untreatable over the long term in Uganda, surfaced for Bonnie so back to America we came; with the same four suitcases.

At that point, last Tuesday, we had to make the decision whether to sign a new lease, buy everything we needed to equip a new apartment, and basically resume the life we left behind for Uganda; or to follow through on our other dream of picking up stakes whenever we wanted, and moving on to the next adventure and location.

We purchased a 2016 Forest River Flagstaff 21DS yesterday, and expect to pick it up next Tuesday the 19th. While Bonnie is receiving care and treatment in Fort Worth, we’ll stay at the KOA in Weatherford. After that, we think we’ll move over to the Escapees site in Livingston to set that up as our home base. And, after that, who knows? We’re both putting together lists of the top 4-5 places we’d like to visit our first year on the road, and anticipate staying at each place thirty days to explore.

I’ve owned two other bumper pull trailers over the past 30-35 years; the first being a half-ton Chevy and a small (18-ft?) trailer and the second a 3/4-ton GMC and a 27-ft travel trailer. The second one was at least twenty years ago, and it seems a lot has changed…other than me getting somehow older.

Hope to see many of you down the road somewhere. Don’t mind the small dogs (a Chihuahua rescue and a Rat Terrier mix rescue). Their bark is a lot worse than their bite.
Usmcwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Gold Miner At Heart

Praying for you both. Make great memories and safe travels.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Hope the health issues pass on and you enjoy your new adventures crossing the USA. Thanks for your service. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #4

Welcome to the group from Waxahachie, TX! glad you guys are back and your wife is getting the care she needs. See ya on the road sometime.
Vallkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio ! God Bless !
Old 04-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

God Bless and welcome from Colorado!

2016 Chapparal Lite 29MKS
2010 F-250 6.4L Diesel
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote