Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

One of the riskiest decisions I’ve made

I recently entered into a purchase agreement to buy a 2018 Forest River Legacy 38C. I was supposed to pick it up today but the dealership doesn’t have it ready and they haven’t addressed all the items from my private inspection.

The craziest part of the thing is that I’ve never been camping, never slept in an RV, never driven one, and I’ve got to fly 1,000 miles to get it. Talking about a risky proposition, but the coach is beautiful, has all the comforts of home (I even sprung for in motion satellite), and I’ve wanted to own a motorhome for over 30 years now.

Wish me luck and tell me I’m not about to make the most bonehead decision ever (even if I am). Any words of wisdom for the closing on your first motorhome send them my way.
cdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Make sure things are made right.

You give them your money.....and you’ve given up ANY leverage you have to get them to make it right.

Geez I’m starting to sound like Mike Holmes.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

Eh, you've got a 50/50, lol. Seriously though, if you go into it with the attitude that you're going to enjoy it, you probably will. When little things break, fix them and roll with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

Not sure of your experience in driving large vehicles, it will take some practice to become enjoyable. Our unit is about half that length but for me it is the width that is a challenge on our narrow two lane roads. Since there is almost always a two lane road at the end of the trip we try to arrive in the daylight and we never drive more than 10 hrs in one day. We consider driving the motorhome to be like a day job- 8 to 5.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Remember to LOOK UP when driving to clear wires, bridges, branches, and leaning telephone poles. Its easy to get caught up on not hitting anything with the sides of your new rig, but its easy to forget about your roof air conditioner.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As previously stated, do NOT give them your money until they have fixed things to your satisfaction. Once you give them money you entry a warranty queue and that could take a very long time to get fixed depending on their back log for work.... or bring it home and hope you can find a local dealer willing to do the warranty work.

Now, once you own it, take it camping and you will learn why you did this crazy thing. See the wife and/or family camping and the smiles on everyone's faces and you will understand you have a new addiction. So long story short, yes, you did a crazy wild thing but if you enjoy family time/ quality time with your significant other, hanging by a campfire, enjoying the beauty around you, not having to worry about sleeping in a bed that may or may not have bed bugs or god knows who slept in already, then you made the right decision. Happy Camping!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the words of encouragement on this. Regarding the money aspect of things, I’ve already postponed my pickup with them once because they didn’t have all of the items on my independent inspection report. And I also sent the salesman, delivery guy, and the sales manager an email that told them I wouldn’t sign the paperwork until after we did the PDI and they showed me how to use the coach to my satisfaction. This rather large dealership in Tampa which had a show on the Travel Channel wasn’t exactly impressed with this approach but they agreed. I am somewhat fortunate in the fact that I live in Indiana and if I had to I could take a day off work and drive to the factory. Your points are well taken though.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #8

cdeeter, Boy I will say you are a "Go Big or Go Home" type people! You certainly do have the Advantage in regards where you live If/When repairs are needed! Elkhart is "Just up the Street"! I have No idea of your "Age or Ability" to Drive one of these "BIG BOYS" but I have seen Lots of "Drivers that are Older than my Grandparents" wheeling these Big Rigs! Youroo!!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

I’m close to 40 now and have had several boats since I was little so I at least have some familiarity with driving something of a larger size. I’m sure driving a 38’ coach will be much different but I’m hopeful some of my experience will help me. And yes, I’m a go big or go home kind of guy.

Now, if only I could get the dealership in Florida to hurry up and finish the stuff on the inspection so I can fly down there. The four inches of snow I woke up to this morning is making me even more excited to get out of town.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

One of the riskiest decisions I’ve made

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeeter View Post
I’m close to 40 now and have had several boats since I was little so I at least have some familiarity with driving something of a larger size. I’m sure driving a 38’ coach will be much different but I’m hopeful some of my experience will help me. And yes, I’m a go big or go home kind of guy.

Now, if only I could get the dealership in Florida to hurry up and finish the stuff on the inspection so I can fly down there. The four inches of snow I woke up to this morning is making me even more excited to get out of town.

None of your Indiana or Ohio dealers had any better prices than Lazydays? Usually they are cheaper because the have less transport cost.

I will be traveling to RV wholesalers in Ohio from PA, in about 8 weeks because they had a deal no on on the east coast could touch! To the tune of $10,000 for a mid range/light weight toyhauler.

Maybe you can use that if they do not get it fixed soon you will go local.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #11

That's funny because I flew in the opposite direction to get my MH. We went from New Orleans to Michigan to get a better deal on a Forester 3011dsf. We bought from mhs2go in Grand Rapids Michigan. It was a pleasant experience and would do it again.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

RV Wholesalers does not carry class As ( or did not at the time of my purchase). There is a FROG rally at that Tampa dealership I believe this week ?

Best of luck with your class A, it looks like a very nice RV !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #13

Pay your independent inspector to go with you on pick up. Be sure to tell the dealer he is coming with you. They will steamroll you if you don't. There are things that the salesman doesn't even know.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
RV Wholesalers does not carry class As ( or did not at the time of my purchase). There is a FROG rally at that Tampa dealership I believe this week ?

Best of luck with your class A, it looks like a very nice RV !

I wasn’t saying he needed to go to RV Wholesalers I am just surprised none of the dealers around the factory did not have a better deal than Tampa.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I wasn’t saying he needed to go to RV Wholesalers I am just surprised none of the dealers around the factory did not have a better deal than Tampa.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #16

Sale pending right now but here is one in Goshen for comparison, I know of a few folks who were very pleased with the deals they received here.

https://www.totalvaluerv.com/default...=xAllInventory
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote