Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Ordered our Shamrock 183 on Saturday!

Hi everyone!

I grew up camping with my family (mainly in a Coleman Pop-up but after I went to college they upgraded to a 30' Passport) and I really didn't think I would end up wanting to get my own camper. Well, I happened to find and marry an awesome man who never camped growing up but instantly fell in love with the lifestyle. When we took our 9 month old daughter camping last summer in my families 30' travel trailer, we thought it would be a disaster. Turned out she LOVED it. Natural camper!

It's seemed like a long 7 months since we went on that first camping trip, but we decided we wanted our own camper before next summer. One minor problem, we had just bought our new "family" SUV and we didn't think about towing when we did. So step one was swallowing the stupidity of that one and trading our brand new 2013 Ford Explorer without tow package (whoops!) in for a 2013 Dodge Durango Crew v6 with tow package. Yes yes.. we could have gone with the v8 but we live in Northern VA, so those city miles really count for us. And honestly, the decision helped to limit us from going overboard on the camper we chose.

So the research began. I did NOT want to go back to a pop-up. I just couldn't imagine having a toddler (and hopefully another baby at some point) in a pop-up camper. But the short wheelbase of the Durango limited the length of trailer we could really look at it, so the obvious choice was a hybrid. And I actually missed the bunk ends from the pop-up, so best of both worlds!

After going in complete circles, we ended up on the Shamrock 183. We have lots of siblings who want to go camping with us, so the three bed option was a winner. Love the layout! So last week I played the quote game, getting quotes from all over the eastern half of the US. Luckily, a dealer only 2 hrs away gave me a great and unbeatable deal (highly recommend working with Southern RV for you! Small company, great people, and they do Owner's Rallies and Monthly Camp-outs that we can't wait to participate in next summer!).

Now the waiting game begins! Any tips on what type of things we should be getting now? I know the basic items like towels, sheets, etc. But what about the RV specific items... like do I have to provide my own cable for the TV or does it usually come with one? Thanks for your help!

Also, any other young families in the Northern VA area? Most of our friends are just settling down and getting married, not many are really thinking of buying campers!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #2

Congratulations on choice. One of my friends has the same one and loves it. Every thing you had in a pop up should be enough to get going plus some odds and ends. I would take a short trip in camper when weather permits close to home and you will soon see what you will need. Cables, hoses (water and sewer) extension cords. Good luck with it.I like my hybrid.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

I have a Roo 183 that we just love so far. Got it in Sept 2013. My 3 girls think it's the bomb. We have Bryce and Zion in Utah planned for Spring Break, Great Sand Dunes in May, and Tetons and Yellowstone planned for June.

You won't need any cables for the TV. It's all ready to go. In our case, we uninstalled the TV. We're Those People that eschew TV.

Take it out for a couple one-nighters to figure out what you need....before you set out on a Great American Adventure.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Welcome and congrats on ordering your 2014 Shamrock 183. A lot of dealers include a 'Starter Kit' that includes some basic stuff. I'd ask your dealer before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff. Some things you'll need are:
Drinking water hose (white)
Water pressure regulator
Extension cord
30/20 Amp adaptor
Wheel chocks
Vent fan cover
Waste tank treatment
Outside rug or mat to keep most of the dirt out
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Congratulations. We have kind of a similar story. I grew up camping all the time in a motorhome - my parents were both teachers. Took my wife camping once in a tent, and she was hooked. So we bought a popup and had that for 13 years. Our son grew up camping and loves it.

Went to the Roo this year after getting a bigger tow vehicle last year. Had an Explorer with a factory tow package, but our large popup was about its limit. Love not having to get up and walk anybody to the bathroom ot 3am... And we didn't have to give up the tent ends, which we really like.

As for what you need - the list can be endless depending on how narrowly you define "need" but for sure as some have already mentioned - wheel chocks, leveling blocks or boards, and water, electric, and sewer hoses & cords are the critical items. The starter kits that most trailers come with tend to give really short hoses so that is something to upgrade. And for the cable - if you are talking about connecting the trailer to a cable outlet at a campground - you do need your own cable. These are pretty cheap.

After that, you can get into rugs, grills, chairs, awning lights, and whatever else you want to add to your camping gear.

You can find a ton of good tips here, and enjoy the new "toy."

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock