Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Our First Trip!

We are way under prepared, and likely to fail miserably! That said, next Tuesday, we (my husband Jeff and our 3 Italian Greyhounds, and I) will embark on a journey across America. We have never had an RV, and have not done much camping. I'm sure we have no idea what we have set out to do.

But, to make it more interesting, Jeff is going to run cross country while I drive and handle logistics. So any issues that come up, I will be dealing with. Along with finding him adequate calories and water, etc, to keep him properly fueled.

We bought a 28' Forrester C class, as I thought I wanted something smaller and more maneuverable. We have chosen not to tow a car, but I will just drive the RV all the time. Since we won't be anywhere for any length of time, we felt that was the best choice. (We could be wrong... like I said, we have never done anything like this before!) Since we don't know the actual pace he will be moving at, as that can change, he might need a day off, etc., we have not made any attempt to make reservations anywhere. So we are winging it.

I plan to be blogging about our adventure, as it is for a good cause, so that people can follow us. I'm sure the things we do wrong will be far more entertaining than the things we do right! Lol....

I will probably spend a good deal of time looking for answers in this forum, unless I am so overwhelmed with the logistical issues and things I cannot even imagine at this point!

Oh, we are starting in Coos Bay, OR, on 5/31, and plan on getting to NYC for the 9/11 ceremonies in September. Hope his feet and my nerves hold out!

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Linda and Jeff Venable

Crossing America for Firefighters!

Support For Firefighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Team
Hello from SoCal!

You are a little brave for doing this but I'm sure you will have lots of memories to share. Renting a car could be a option for those times having a car would be necessary. Some car rental companies will pick you up.

Good luck,

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Welcome from louisiana!!! Good luck and be safe we are all here for any advice
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
WOW...that's so cool. Best of luck. I hope you have fair weather with the wind at your back (helps the gas mileage!)
Scott & Lauren
"On the edge of Normal"
2014 Georgetown 328TS
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Good luck, the only thing that you might need is a generator if you stop overnight at a parking lot. Everything else will be a repeat after the first few nights.
Give us the blog address so we can check in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2007 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab LB
2008 5th Wheel Cardinal 36LE
R Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Welcome from Florida Be safe and look forward to hearing all about your journey. Happy trails
Jerry. Vietnam vet.
jgahlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Good luck on the trip and welcome to the forum.

Ron and Elizabeth
2014 Rockwood 8285-IKWS
2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel 4x4
rburns4147 is online now   Reply With Quote