Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
For a given floor plan, the Grey Wolves are heavier stick & tin construction... For instance, the 26RR mentioned doesn't have a slide-out yet weighs almost 5,000 and has a heavy (empty) tongue weight of nearly 800.. Plus, it's a toyhauler but you won't be able to haul anything too heavy without exceeding the Tahoe's GCVW (TV & TT combined weight).

IMO you should see what other folks with Tahoes are pulling. You may run-out of GCVW before payload. For instance, your Tahoe is rated to tow 6,600 with a single driver. So in addition to subtracting your family from max payload, you likely have to subtract them from the 6,600 to stay under GCVW...

So in the end you have to consider TTs or Hybrids in the 4,500 (empty) range w/empty tongue of <500 because you will add about 1000 lbs. of gear (battery, propane, WDH, camping supplies, clothes, food, chairs, bikes, etc.) to the TT & ??? lbs. of family to the TV...

Therefore most folks with Tahoes w/out tow package are limited to hybrids or lightweight fiberglass & aluminum framed TTs. I don't like hybrids, so would prefer the PrimeTime Tracer Air series with at least 1 slide-out. They have some with double-double bunks & a dinette slide-out for <5,000 empty w/empty tongue <500...

Our original plan was to buy a 1/2 ton SUV but I found a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC w/5.7 Hemi for $14K. It has a payload of 3,000 & tow rating of 9,100 so we paired it with the larger 2-slide Tracer 3150 that weighs 6,500 empty w/empty tongue of 650. We LOVE the outdoor kitchen & kids' slide-out bunk room. However, ready-to-camp our TT is over 8,000 w/loaded tongue weight of 1,100...

I sent her a link for bunkhouse. I was just saying I like my GreyWolf was not suggesting her to look at toyhauler.

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Take your time and check the numbers do not trust the salesman to give you accurate information.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

Wildwood X-Lite line also has good Bunkhouse options in a TT. They are lower to the ground and have aerodynamic fronts.

When I was in the market, I wanted the 273QBXL (that is their biggest, heaviest of the line and is around 6200 lbs dry) but none were available near me and couldn't pass on the deal on my current trailer -which we ended up loving anyway.

They do have a very nice selection in this line that could work with your TV. Good luck!
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant

Well without the factory tow package, you're limited on towing capacity.

You have to install everything that comes with that package to tow a TT.
Trans cooler, 7-pin connector, wiring for a brake controller and a class III/IV hitch receiver.
Your 3.08 rear end is still going to limit you.

Tell us what the yellow sticker on the drivers side door says is your payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #15

rmac - thanks! I like that bunkhouse you sent a lot!

Flybob - you are so very right! We have met some sales people who were not very helpful, but they sure were ready to make a deal! Our latest adventure we stopped at a dealer to look at a Freedom Express (Coachmen) that a friend had recommended. We asked the salesperson if there was anything else that we could tow, and he told us just to walk around, open the doors and read the stickers because he didn't know.

m2kamp - we'll check out the Wildwood next!

Everyone, thank you so much. Never having owned an rv, or for that matter having even gone camping in one, we are at quite a learning curve!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #16

I pull with a Tahoe. Right now, I'm pulling about 4500 lbs but just ordered 6600 dry...probably about 7200 loaded. I DO have the HD package and an 8500 lb tow rating and wouldn't try to pull anything bigger though. With your gears I would try to keep it down to about 5000 or so dry. Payload is actually fairly high for this type of vehicle. An option for you that would be cheaper than a new vehicle may be to see if a dealership would install the parts that the HD package has on it. I believe it's a trans cooler, bigger radiator, and 3.42 gears and a few other things that don't really make a difference). Probably get them to do it for less than $2500 with labor. I'd also make sure you put the appropriate WDH / Sway control on it and maybe even switch to XL rated tires for the rear.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #17

bikendan - Thanks for the reply! There is a white sticker on the door, and it says:

GVWR 7100 lbs
GAWR FRT 3200 lbs
GAWR RR 4100 lbs

There is a yellow sticker inside door that says:
Combined occupants and cargo should never exceed 1630lbs

There is another sticker inside the glovebox which shows equipment codes, and our gear code is GU4. (According to Chevy, that limits us to 6600 towing capacity. My husband called Chevy last week and asked them details of our car, giving them VIN to make sure we got better info.)

Thanks so much!! We are so very appreciative of your help.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
For a given floor plan, the Grey Wolves are heavier stick & tin construction... For instance, the 26RR mentioned doesn't have a slide-out yet weighs almost 5,000 and has a heavy (empty) tongue weight of nearly 800.. Plus, it's a toyhauler but you won't be able to haul anything too heavy without exceeding the Tahoe's GCVW (TV & TT combined weight).

IMO you should see what other folks with Tahoes are pulling. You may run-out of GCVW before payload. For instance, your Tahoe is rated to tow 6,600 with a single driver. So in addition to subtracting your family from max payload, you likely have to subtract them from the 6,600 to stay under GCVW...

So in the end you have to consider TTs or Hybrids in the 4,500 (empty) range w/empty tongue of <500 because you will add about 1000 lbs. of gear (battery, propane, WDH, camping supplies, clothes, food, chairs, bikes, etc.) to the TT & ??? lbs. of family to the TV...

Therefore most folks with Tahoes w/out tow package are limited to hybrids or lightweight fiberglass & aluminum framed TTs. I don't like hybrids, so would prefer the PrimeTime Tracer Air series with at least 1 slide-out. They have some with double-double bunks & a dinette slide-out for <5,000 empty w/empty tongue <500...

Our original plan was to buy a 1/2 ton SUV but I found a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC w/5.7 Hemi for $14K. It has a payload of 3,000 & tow rating of 9,100 so we paired it with the larger 2-slide Tracer 3150 that weighs 6,500 empty w/empty tongue of 650. We LOVE the outdoor kitchen & kids' slide-out bunk room. However, ready-to-camp our TT is over 8,000 w/loaded tongue weight of 1,100...
Since 2007 TTs and 5ers tongue/pin weight include full propane tanks.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

The 1630lbs is your payload capacity.
That means you can't exceed that amount in the Tahoe.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 1630lbs is your payload capacity.
That means you can't exceed that amount in the Tahoe.

To add on to that, that means everything in the vehicle, plus the tongue weight, needs to be below this number. When I add up the family (myself, wife, kids, dogs, car seats, etc...) I'm closing in on almost 700 lbs. And my kids are only 5 & 6.

Best bet is to throw everyone in the vehicle and go get it weighed, but some simple calculations can give you a close second. Add up the weights of everybody who'll be with you (plus what you think you'd have in the truck). Subtract this from your payload.

So, if my family drove your Tahoe, we'd have about 900 lbs left for the tongue weight.

Next, see if you have the GCWR listed for your vehicle (it's usually a little more accurate than just towing capacity). Subtract from that the weight of your truck plus the weight of your family.

So, back to the theoretical, if my family of 700 lbs was in a 4200 lb Tahoe with a GCWR of say, 10000 lbs that would leave me 10000-4200-700=5100 lbs for a fully loaded trailer. (Remember all numbers I'm providing are made up just for the example so please don't use these exact numbers.)

Now, that's for a fully loaded trailer. Figure most people bring between 1000-2000 lbs of stuff, and that being you have kids you're bringing, you're going to tend towards the higher of that range.

Back to the example, 5100 lbs loaded would mean 5100-2000=3100 lbs dry weight.
(It's a good thing I'm just making these numbers up because that trailer's getting smaller and smaller.)

Here's a couple of sites that are dedicated to trying to help with all these calculations:

http://towingplanner.com
http://changingears.com

Both offer good advice on calculating what you can actually tow.

Armed with these numbers, you'll be in a better place to peruse the dealerships and look at their trailer's yellow sticker weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
power