Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Some guy in back...

People in California actually camp?

Hi Everyone!

Since we've had our Silverback 31LBHS for 5 years now, I thought it was time to join the forum!

We've been RV camping as a family for 15 years now, first in a tent trailer and then in a series of hardside trailers, the Cedar Creek being the most recent.

Now that our kids are older and often out of the house, our camping is a little less frequent but no less pleasant.

We tow with a '99 Ford E350 Chateau Van with the V10 using a Hensley hitch and have found it to be the the best running, best driving combination we could imagine. We're thinking of moving to a Class A next, but that is still some time in the future.

Cheers
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Team

i'm from California and looking at your trailer, not sure some would consider that "camping"!!
non-Californians might wonder what we call "camping" out here.

just joking, we also had tent camped, popup camped and now have a hybrid TT, so that we can have all the amenities but still feel like we're still "roughing" it by sleeping in the canvas bunk ends.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4

Ditto Bikendan's comment. Same story for us - tents, popups for 17 years, and just upgraded to a hybrid TT. My wife insists on the "tent" feel of sleeping in the canvas bunk ends. I tease her that it can't really be camping if there's a microwave involved. There's an interesting discussion in these forums somewhere about "camping" vs. "RVing". It's all camping to me, especially in California where there's nothing like waking up to the sound of waves crashing along the coast on a cool February morning.
GilnJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Calif camping

We have done the same...a tent to sleeping in truck, to the boat, to the MH back to a tent, then a trailer.. stayed in the trailer 1 year while we built our home, back to a MH...then back to a tent... never tried a popup tho....now we are back looking at MH since I retired at the ripe young age of 57...
Jim
RRMCJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting. We've had our hardside for 4 camping years now. In some ways, I DO miss the canvas. But between lots of Grizzly area camping and some darn cold mountain nights, I guess hardside was right for us. It IS a step removed from outside though . . . so get where you are coming from.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote