Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Pick Up Day Disaster Guy is back & ready to buy

As some of you may remember, I had a terrible experience w/ RVW back in April. I am now able to look at purchasing a trailer again. I am looking at a Rockwood 2604 and also a Heartland North Trail Caliber 26LRSS, wondering if anyone has an opinion on these trailers. I sure hope things go well this time, I want to use the trailer for a honeymoon trip

TJ, Paula, and Mickey the wonder dog
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab
TJfromfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #2

I cant comment on either trailer other then to say I am partial to Rockwood

I remember reading your issue and glad to see you are back in the market for another trailer
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJfromfL View Post
As some of you may remember, I had a terrible experience w/ RVW back in April. I am now able to look at purchasing a trailer again. I am looking at a Rockwood 2604 and also a Heartland North Trail Caliber 26LRSS, wondering if anyone has an opinion on these trailers. I sure hope things go well this time, I want to use the trailer for a honeymoon trip

I too remember your original post. I was window shopping at Costco one day and there were RVs in the lot from a local dealer. Anyway I was checking out an Heartland North Trail (21FBS?). Over all there was a lot that I like about that trailer that my beloved FR does not have such as large bay slam-shut doors and the powered awning. However, there were also some things I liked more about my FR than the North Trail unit which is a good thing since my RV is only a year old. What I liked best or not about both units can be found in either make.

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle again! Good luck with your shopping.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

All I can suggest is to compare the quality of construction.
Do the walls have full framing, around windows and doors, or is there just an aluminum frame around the perimeter of the walls?
Compare the thickness, and thus insulation value of the walls, floor, and roof.
Compare the size and thickness of the main frame.
Check quality of welds on the frame.
Check cabinet drawer hardware. (I couldn't believe some were still being made with wooden slides!)
Compare the quality of the exterior finish, and make sure it has the extra gelcoat on the fibreglass (unless you are buying a tin trailer)
Put some weight on overhead cabinets to check how structurally sound they are.
Compare the floors and what is used, plywood vs chipboard, and thickness.

With a bit of comparison shopping, you should end up with the best value for your dollar. Betetr to do it first, rather than finding out later that you bought a pos. Good luck!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
All I can suggest is to compare the quality of construction.
Do the walls have full framing, around windows and doors, or is there just an aluminum frame around the perimeter of the walls?
Compare the thickness, and thus insulation value of the walls, floor, and roof.
Compare the size and thickness of the main frame.
Check quality of welds on the frame.
Check cabinet drawer hardware. (I couldn't believe some were still being made with wooden slides!)
Compare the quality of the exterior finish, and make sure it has the extra gelcoat on the fibreglass (unless you are buying a tin trailer)
Put some weight on overhead cabinets to check how structurally sound they are.
Compare the floors and what is used, plywood vs chipboard, and thickness.

With a bit of comparison shopping, you should end up with the best value for your dollar. Betetr to do it first, rather than finding out later that you bought a pos. Good luck!
I am thiking he did do his homework - it was a dealer's blunder not his lack of homework - just sayin

He had ordered a 2012 Rockwood 2608SS from RVW - drove up there and the trailer was a disaster from what I remember reading. Here is the link to the thread he started way back when - http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ise-12973.html
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If memory serves me correctly, there were 3 things that bothered me on the North Trails when I was shopping for a new camper.

1. There was not a "sewer hose" bumper, or any bumper for that matter. They had a short piece of PVC pipe for sewer hose storage, and left the back end unprotected for minor boo-boos.

2. The spare tire was stored under the trailer tongue. I don't know if that would ever be a problem on the road, but it would definitely be a problem at a campsite if you needed to lower the tongue jack all of the way to level the camper.

3. I remember the pass through storage doors as being a lot smaller than the storage area.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote