Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Steve and have been in the camping world for 12 years now, I started out with a 2002 Springdale TT and while it's been a good faithful friend it's time to move on.

In the morning I'm trading the Springdale in on a Sierra 346RETS fifth wheel, we did the orientation today and tomorrow they're installing my hitch. Rather not say what I'm pulling with if that's OK.

Anyhow I've looked around here a good bit over the last week and looks like it's a good crowd here, thanks for having me!

Welcome from NC SK!!! I echo that there are a great group of folks on this forum.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Brilliant! Lets patent this, we'll make millions!

That's full of water, 300lb generator, clothes, food, family, etc. depending on where I go I won't need the generator or the water either. .

My question is why would yo run full of water? (I do know you should only run with your tank (water stuff) full or empty not in between) and is your generator mounted?
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #23

Fifth wheels are very easy to tow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smartTow.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	46503

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #24

500 over gcvwr but I bet its the payload OR rawr that will be more over. ...whatever...it should be fine if YOUR fine with it ...thats what matters...

If were talking secrets I used to use my 4cyl 5speed gmc sonoma to take my 21ft fiberglass boat to the lake...lol..

GONE FISHIN!.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Brilliant! Lets patent this, we'll make millions!

Well biggest concern I have is that every time someone notices the combo they say something. If it were a 1500 whose towing max was under the dry camper weight, sure. But mine is a GCVWR of 20,000 and I should come in at 20,640 by my estimate. That's full of water, 300lb generator, clothes, food, family, etc. depending on where I go I won't need the generator or the water either. That alone is 863 pounds. Kids very likely won't be going either, another 300 pounds gone plus their stuff. They're about grown and didn't like camping much anyhow.

It'll be fine. Shoot, I used to have to watch my speed with the old camper, this one being more aerodynamic will be trouble if I don't watch it!

I'll go ahead and spill it, just don't tell anyone. I'm pulling with a 2001 Dodge 2500 powered by an HO Cummins. Towing package and all.
SKnight, first off, welcome! As you can tell from my post count, I am new here too. Our first tt was a 2002 Sprinter that we loved for 11 years! Keystone makes a great product. We too love our new RV! Definitely heavier than our last. We weighed ours with a little less than 1/2 tank of water, but otherwise ready to go minus clothes and food (maybe 100lbs). We only have a Honda 2000 gen, so not a whole lot there. Total weight was 20160 lbs. We are not full timers, so it is hard to justify buying a new truck. Our longest trip will be about 5 hours away. You should be fine with your truck. Good luck! Jerry.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I would be embarrassed with that truck also. get a duramax equipped truck and you can pull the moon if you so desire
interesting tidbit about me, I was working as a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealer when I bought that truck. Really got attention when I pulled into the lot with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
My question is why would yo run full of water? (I do know you should only run with your tank (water stuff) full or empty not in between) and is your generator mounted?
That's a worst case scenario. Every now and then I go to a truly primitive area and may not be able to find water along the way. Thus I want to ensure I can take it with me.

Generally I travel with about 1/3 tank of fresh, that way I can stop and use the bathroom, etc.

I carry the generator in the bed, I'm still exploring options on that one for now. Next weekend I might see about loading it down and go hit the scales.
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #27

Congrats SK! Went to a 5th wheel last year and love it! Towing is better and the unit is much better. Oh and gave me a reason to upgrade the tow vehicle as well! You'll enjoy it. This forum is excellent. A lot of experience and information. What ever you need, ask. I have at all hours of the night, and got a response. Again congrats, and enjoy your new unit!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You wouldn't be the first one to proudly own being overweight. Heck, OldCoot pulls his fifth wheel with a 1/2-ton and frankly doesn't care what we think about his weights. (Rightfully so- each has to make their own *educated* decision.)...
Don't remember ever saying that I was proud of my rig or whether it is or is not over loaded as I've never weighted it or intend to. However, I have posted that I really don't care what the weight police say. If they don't like it, that's just not my concern. I'll take my experience/education/career over their speculation anytime. All their ranting and raving about being unsafe, dangerous, etc. is just their opinion, which everyone is entitled to.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You wouldn't be the first one to proudly own being overweight. Heck, OldCoot pulls his fifth wheel with a 1/2-ton and frankly doesn't care what we think about his weights. (Rightfully so- each has to make their own *educated* decision.)

Welcome! Have fun here- this is the best forum I've ever participated with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't remember ever saying that I was proud of my rig or whether it is or is not over loaded as I've never weighted it or intend to. However, I have posted that I really don't care what the weight police say. If they don't like it, that's just not my concern. I'll take my experience/education/career over their speculation anytime. All their ranting and raving about being unsafe, dangerous, etc. is just their opinion, which everyone is entitled to.
Ahhhh yes a good ol what can I haul discussion ..always a good read
Welcome to the forum
Congrats on the new 5er!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandRChambers View Post
Congrats SK! Went to a 5th wheel last year and love it! Towing is better and the unit is much better. Oh and gave me a reason to upgrade the tow vehicle as well! You'll enjoy it. This forum is excellent. A lot of experience and information. What ever you need, ask. I have at all hours of the night, and got a response. Again congrats, and enjoy your new unit!
I would agree with the towing part..But I am curious how the units are much better?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #31

You made one very intelligent decision. That was to keep your truck size to yourself. The next thing is not to admit any weight limit overages! Almost, without exception, those of us pulling a 5er weighing more than five tons (on the sticker) plus all the goodies we need, are over.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I would agree with the towing part..But I am curious how the units are much better?
Hey Platokidd,

What I meant by that was I have a bigger and better unit in my 5th wheel, than my previous pull behind. More living space, space for kids, and toy space!

I agree with you, threads about who can tow what is always intersted, but good reading, and heck I learn a thing or two from time to time!

2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Steve and have been in the camping world for 12 years now, I started out with a 2002 Springdale TT and while it's been a good faithful friend it's time to move on.

In the morning I'm trading the Springdale in on a Sierra 346RETS fifth wheel, we did the orientation today and tomorrow they're installing my hitch. Rather not say what I'm pulling with if that's OK.

Anyhow I've looked around here a good bit over the last week and looks like it's a good crowd here, thanks for having me!
So how do you like your 346 so far?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
So how do you like your 346 so far?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
So far I really like it. I spent four months living in it this year and it held up well. I kinda wish I had looked a little harder at the 346PDEK version, the one with the toy hauler style ramp that becomes an outdoor sitting area. I would have made it a loading ramp to load my motorcycle inside for transport.

Pros: It pulls like a dream, solid as can be and the aerodynamics are good enough that I picked up better than one MPG compared to the 5,000 pound lighter TT I traded on it.

It has great thermal stability. The main house AC unit can keep it cool in the summer and the furnace didn't run much camping in 19* temps.

It's electrically efficient. I can go for days dry camping without firing up the generator.

Cons, and for the most part these are warranty beefs: It leaks. The front cap keeps filling up with water, but the dealer says unless it rains, they can't check it out. I offered to buy them a hose and sprinkler. This has been going since five months into ownership and after leaving it at the dealer five months.

The kitchen slide is hanging on something when pulling it in. The front bottom corner hangs, then suddenly gives way. The slide moves beautifully after that. They say it's not right, but they won't fix it as it's not detrimental. It's twisting the slide room to the point it creaks, but it's not detrimental, yeah, right.

The frame is bending at the right rear spring perch. I noticed it when I was packing the bearings and cleaning the brakes. It's twisting the bottom of the I beam. The beam is still straight, and it's just that one spring mount that's twisting.

You have to be very careful filling the fresh tank. I hooked the hose up to fill it, went to packing while it filled, a few minutes later I heard the tank frame bend as the tank bellowed. I had the regulator in place but apparently the hose can still outpace the vent. I fixed the frame, made a restrictor, and it bent again. Now I stand there with it as it fills so I can watch it. I wish it had a gravity fill arrangement instead.

The brakes don't work very well. For the life of me I can't get the brakes to act right. I'm going to try a new controller next, I've cleaned connections, cleaned and adjusted the brakes themselves, have established an acceptable voltage drop from the battery to the brakes but I still have to turn the gain up really high which then makes it a pain in parking lots. The controller worked fine with the old TT, but for some reason I can't get good performance with this trailer.

All in all, it's a great camper. It's a great camping experience, very nice lights, good storage, the rear stab jacks are plenty long for uneven surfaces. It's very solid feeling, well laid out and in all reality I do like it.

But the FR dealer network and Sierra themselves (I'm looking at you Mr. Johnson.) have failed me miserably. I mean miserably. I tried to switch dealers but was told by the two options that "Since you didn't buy it here, you need to understand that we give priority to our customers first." and was looking at six month plus wait times.

The big question, would I buy it again? I like the camper enough that odds are, yes I would with consideration to the PDEK version. I would hesitate over the incompetence shown by the dealer in my area.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel