Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #31
You made one very intelligent decision. That was to keep your truck size to yourself. The next thing is not to admit any weight limit overages! Almost, without exception, those of us pulling a 5er weighing more than five tons (on the sticker) plus all the goodies we need, are over.

Alan, Kathy & Cooper the camping cat
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS
2013 GMC 2500 Denali
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I would agree with the towing part..But I am curious how the units are much better?
Hey Platokidd,

What I meant by that was I have a bigger and better unit in my 5th wheel, than my previous pull behind. More living space, space for kids, and toy space!

I agree with you, threads about who can tow what is always intersted, but good reading, and heck I learn a thing or two from time to time!

Fred & Teresa
2005 Coachmen Encore Sportscoach
2005 Harley Road King
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Steve and have been in the camping world for 12 years now, I started out with a 2002 Springdale TT and while it's been a good faithful friend it's time to move on.

In the morning I'm trading the Springdale in on a Sierra 346RETS fifth wheel, we did the orientation today and tomorrow they're installing my hitch. Rather not say what I'm pulling with if that's OK.

Anyhow I've looked around here a good bit over the last week and looks like it's a good crowd here, thanks for having me!
So how do you like your 346 so far?

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #34
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
So how do you like your 346 so far?

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
So far I really like it. I spent four months living in it this year and it held up well. I kinda wish I had looked a little harder at the 346PDEK version, the one with the toy hauler style ramp that becomes an outdoor sitting area. I would have made it a loading ramp to load my motorcycle inside for transport.

Pros: It pulls like a dream, solid as can be and the aerodynamics are good enough that I picked up better than one MPG compared to the 5,000 pound lighter TT I traded on it.

It has great thermal stability. The main house AC unit can keep it cool in the summer and the furnace didn't run much camping in 19* temps.

It's electrically efficient. I can go for days dry camping without firing up the generator.

Cons, and for the most part these are warranty beefs: It leaks. The front cap keeps filling up with water, but the dealer says unless it rains, they can't check it out. I offered to buy them a hose and sprinkler. This has been going since five months into ownership and after leaving it at the dealer five months.

The kitchen slide is hanging on something when pulling it in. The front bottom corner hangs, then suddenly gives way. The slide moves beautifully after that. They say it's not right, but they won't fix it as it's not detrimental. It's twisting the slide room to the point it creaks, but it's not detrimental, yeah, right.

The frame is bending at the right rear spring perch. I noticed it when I was packing the bearings and cleaning the brakes. It's twisting the bottom of the I beam. The beam is still straight, and it's just that one spring mount that's twisting.

You have to be very careful filling the fresh tank. I hooked the hose up to fill it, went to packing while it filled, a few minutes later I heard the tank frame bend as the tank bellowed. I had the regulator in place but apparently the hose can still outpace the vent. I fixed the frame, made a restrictor, and it bent again. Now I stand there with it as it fills so I can watch it. I wish it had a gravity fill arrangement instead.

The brakes don't work very well. For the life of me I can't get the brakes to act right. I'm going to try a new controller next, I've cleaned connections, cleaned and adjusted the brakes themselves, have established an acceptable voltage drop from the battery to the brakes but I still have to turn the gain up really high which then makes it a pain in parking lots. The controller worked fine with the old TT, but for some reason I can't get good performance with this trailer.

All in all, it's a great camper. It's a great camping experience, very nice lights, good storage, the rear stab jacks are plenty long for uneven surfaces. It's very solid feeling, well laid out and in all reality I do like it.

But the FR dealer network and Sierra themselves (I'm looking at you Mr. Johnson.) have failed me miserably. I mean miserably. I tried to switch dealers but was told by the two options that "Since you didn't buy it here, you need to understand that we give priority to our customers first." and was looking at six month plus wait times.

The big question, would I buy it again? I like the camper enough that odds are, yes I would with consideration to the PDEK version. I would hesitate over the incompetence shown by the dealer in my area.

Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

fifth wheel, wheel