Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Picking up our first rig this afternoon.

The wife and I are picking up our first TT this afternoon. A '13 Wildwood 26TBSS. So excited!!! We are gonna take her out to Lake Fausse Point State Park this weekend.

We have been talking forever, it seems about getting a camper and we finally pulled the trigger. Some of my fondest memories of childhood are from camping in our 20' Shasta. I am happy that I will be able to provide some similar good times for our two young boys!

Look forward to chatting with you fine folks.
j.adamhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

As with any new car, you will have some bugs to kill. Make a list of your concerns and call the dealer for repairs when you get back home.

Bought a new 2013 Salem Hemisphere June 1st. This weekend will be the third time I have taken it back to the dealer for repairs. I have had a list of 5-7 things each time. My major problems was on the second camping trip. 1) Rear tire Exploded out the side wall, 2) back slide motor jammed and slide sticking out 3 inches.

Third trip major problem among others, back slide motor Jammed and slide again sticking out 3 inches. Had to drive it many miles this way.

Also my clean water tank self siphons out more than 1/3 of the water when NOT moving and All of the water when moving. "Coach-net" tech says that this is fixable because the breather hose has fallen over and needs to be pulled back up in place and secured in place to form a loop. Dealer does not want to remove the bottom sheeting to look at the tank....

Does anyone have a direction phone number to Forest River?

Three camping trips in two months and three times back to the Dealer
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

Man, Les that sounds terrible. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we have a little better go of things. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Not everyone has major problems fist time out. We got our 2013 surveyor sport 220 at the begining of the year and have been out 6 or 8 times now with no major issues. Good luck and have fun!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

Welcome J,

You will find lots of good info and advise here.
I bought a new 2012 trailer and owned two previously. I have had no return trips to the dealers. I easily addressed a few things but that is about the way it goes with most things. Enjoy the new trailer and I know you will love camping with the kids. Ours are grown but still come along.

Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Wildwood 26TBSS. I can understand your excitement. We're on our 4th camper and were excited about picking up each one. Enjoy your maiden voyage to Lake Fausse Point State Park! Hope all goes well!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the welcomes and encouragement, folks.

We got her home last night and spent quite a bit of time just hanging around soaking it in and showing it off to some family members. Our boys were bouncing off the walls and climbing up and down the bunks. So much fun to watch!

I told my wife when we pulled out of the dealer's lot that it felt a little like leaving the hospital with our first born. Way more responsibility than we should have. Hahaha!

The trailer pulled very well! The only thing I didn't like was watching my fuel gauge plummet.

Everything seems to be in working order and in good condition so far. The only issues we missed on the final walkthrough were very small. One of the rear bumper end plates was missing and the henge on power cord door was slightly damaged. I stopped by the dealership this morning and they gave me the missing parts.

Can't wait to get out in the woods this weekend for our maiden voyage!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

1) check your tire pressure before you go out on each trip....
2) check and re-torque your tires NOW and 50 miles later and from there every 100-500 miles. (it is a strange feeling to see one of you camper tires pass you on the highway....)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

Good advice Brother Les!

Another thing I always do is touch the hubs and wheels each time we stop along the way to make sure there is no excessive heat. If you can't leave you hand on either one something is wrong.

Plus a "walk around" visual check of the entire rig.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

So how was Lake Fausse Point? One of my favorite parks with the exception of the misquitos. Headed there on the 23rd. We have a 2012 Wildwood X-lite, they all have the hichops.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Fausse Point was great. The mosquitos were very bad. It was my first time out there in a couple of years and the last time was late October. Probably won't go back unless it is late fall early winter.

We went up to Indian Creek Recreation Area just south of Alexandria this past weekend and had a blast. Virtually no mosquitos and the weather was outstanding. The early morning felt like fall weather.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #14

Indian Creek was nice. I haven't been since the old tent days though. We did get to Chicot this spring. VERY NICE!

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
NELA

Welcome j.adamhoover! Ahhh more LA folks!

We've not made any trips to central or south LA yet. We wanna do Lake Claiborne here first..planning a fall trip there with friends from TX.

We're headed for NASCAR Bristol this weekend.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote