Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Question Planning on going FT w/4 kids

Hello - we just found this awesome forum & want to introduce ourselves.

We are a family of 6 & 2 dogs (I guess that makes 8). We have 4 young boys & are planning to sell the stick house & go full-time in the summer of 2009.

We would love any suggestions on a rig suitable for our family & fulltiming. We are planning to summer in north & winter in south. We want the boys to have beds - not dinettes. We are leaning toward a TT versus a 5er. We like the 351bht - but not sure if it is too long/big. We have a 1986 Class C Coachman - so we are not exactly 1st timers.

So please sugggest books, websites, dealerships (in Ohio) - any & all help is appreciated.

much thanks ~
Tom & Deborah
derboyz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

You have already pointed out one model that would work the 351BHT. I have the 09 Sierra 351BHT and love it! with the dual slides in the back you can sleep 6 just the the back with plenty of room to spare. She is very heavy though so you need at least a 1 ton TV. I pull with a 1 ton GMC Sierra dully diesel. Since your family is bigger then mine I think this is where you might have an issue. You might need to look at a used Ford Excursion diesel to be able to tow that much weight and also have room for the kids and pups.

Here is a pic of the rear bedroom:

Cant zoom out to get entire room. this is one side and the other is the exact same.

This is the entertainment center in the same room....

Hope this helps!

Iceman
dusky203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #3

Iceman - thanks for the reply & photos. The layout with the large amount of storage for the kids is a huge selling point for us. The hubby is wondering what kind of mileage you get with your diesel pulling this RV?

Do you fulltime in it?

I posted a similar post on another forum & several people tried to tell me to wait until our "golden years," not to take 4 young boys on the road - while I appreciate words of wisdom - there is no guarantee any of us have "golden years" - we want to share this time with our boys and simplify so we don't have a huge financial weight pulling us down & taking time away from the one we hold most dear. Any opinionon this?

thanks - Deborah
derboyz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

Smile

We love our Cherokee. Has sort of the same set up as above. Double slideouts for the kids room and a slideout for the dinnette. We actually use ours at some property we own so we don't actually haul it around. But it has lots of space. We actually bought it from the internet brand new for a good price.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by derboyz04 View Post
Iceman - thanks for the reply & photos. The layout with the large amount of storage for the kids is a huge selling point for us. The hubby is wondering what kind of mileage you get with your diesel pulling this RV?

Do you fulltime in it?

I posted a similar post on another forum & several people tried to tell me to wait until our "golden years," not to take 4 young boys on the road - while I appreciate words of wisdom - there is no guarantee any of us have "golden years" - we want to share this time with our boys and simplify so we don't have a huge financial weight pulling us down & taking time away from the one we hold most dear. Any opinionon this?

thanks - Deborah
If the time is right and you both have all your eggs in one basket and this is a goal in your life, then go for it. Kids today grow so fast and then the next thing you know we are looking back at pic though out there lives and woundering where the time went because alot of us spent more time trying to provide for our families then spending quality time with them. There is alot of things that dictates our decisions, but we do what we have to do. Your Idea to spend more time with your boys is GREAT, and you are right " the golden years " Who can prodict the future. Enjoy life today while you can with the ones you love because tomorrow may not come. Good luck with your plans and I hope all works out for you and your family.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #6

On my rig I only get 8-9 MPG!! This is down from 12 MPG with my smaller TT. To be honet I could get 1MPG and not care!! My kids LOVE camping and it is quality time that you can not put a price tag on! Today I uncovered big bertha to prepare for our Thanksgiven trip, well once opened up I walked out to camper to find both my kids sitting at dinette play uno!!!! They love it! Do what is right for you just make sure you have a TV to handle it and get on the road!!!!

Iceman
dusky203 is offline   Reply With Quote