Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #1

Proud Brand New RV Enthusiast, Still waiting on my trailer 😭

Hello,
I'm Laurie, gamer, former stay-at-home-mom, young professional MEP Coordinator, ferret mom and eclectic fan-girl.
I browsed, bought and financed a 'gently used' 2018 Primetime Avenger 26BH. Unfortunately my RV Trailer is still at the dealership for the PID and my scheduled 'beginners' course for this upcoming Friday (I'm super excited for it).
I created an Amazon list for things I wanted and/or needed and have never in my life been glued to YouTube so much trying to find the things I should start getting. I've always dreamed of having an RV and traveling wherever I chose. Seemed natural. Though I never imagined that it was the place I was meant to be. I often heard my friends refer to the 'place they were meant to be' or 'here just feeds my soul, yanno?' I never understood that until tasting the approaching freedom I'm dreaming of.
I have the ability to work remotely in some situations so I plan to use that freedom also but I can't do it full-time...yet.
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...
Anyways I'm hoping to find a community and hopefully educate myself with some real world experience.

LOLaurie
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLaurie View Post
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...
Anyways I'm hoping to find a community and hopefully educate myself with some real world experience.

LOLaurie
Hi and welcome to FRF!
Doubt that your a/c has a soft start kit, as that is an aftermarket install.
Air conditioners are 120v AC power only. There is no RV a/c that runs on battery power, unless you have a bank of 12 deep cycle batteries and huge inverter. So the a/c only runs on shore power or generator power.
Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life", so you can better understand how the two different RV electrical systems work.
Also, what brake controller and weight distribution hitch do you have, to tow that trailer?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

I either have heard of a 12v ac unit, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie

Welcome from NY

I too am anxiously awaiting picking up our new TT (dealer's 10-12 hours away, shop we had to schedule it over a month after leaving our deposit)
I've been learning a ton of information from this forum and YouTube. One of the things I researched was an inverter/generator to power the a/c (13,500btu unit). I'm going to buy a champion dual fuel 3400W which will be easy to transport and won't request gasoline; I'll be able to use on board propane, or bring an extra 20lb tank with us on trips. But, I won't have to worry about gas spilling in my TT or TV while traveling.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
I either have heard of a 12v ac unit, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Say what?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

WHAT? The ac units run off 120v not 12v dc,That's call we were saying.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum.

You don't mention where you are located? AC is desired in some parts of the country. Here in the midAtlantic, we can get some steamy days/nights and AC makes it nice for sleeping. And we primarily moved from a tent to a camper for the AC - we are just getting to an age where the heat is beginning to affect us.

but if the weather is nice, we certainly do like to turn off the AC and open all the windows -
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

I believe she is from Utah, I think she may be needing AC.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You don't mention where you are located?
Yep, her profile says West Haven, Utah.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, her profile says West Haven, Utah.

weird - i checked her profile before i posted that and not see that.

Yeah Utah, I would want AC. (though when we were in Utah in 2017 - we did not always need it. In Bryce, it was very comfortable temperature wise but 90 miles away in Zion it was 102).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hi and welcome to FRF!
Doubt that your a/c has a soft start kit, as that is an aftermarket install.
Air conditioners are 120v AC power only. There is no RV a/c that runs on battery power, unless you have a bank of 12 deep cycle batteries and huge inverter. So the a/c only runs on shore power or generator power.
Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life", so you can better understand how the two different RV electrical systems work.
Also, what brake controller and weight distribution hitch do you have, to tow that trailer?
Wow crazy, I don't know a thing about electrical, even though I work with people that do. We've been researching what we might do such as just move to moderate climates or do solar and the whole inverter and series lithium battery bank and the generator to just use if the weather gets too horrid with a fantastic fan to recirculate, I guess I just wanted to rant! Lol anyways we got a EasyLift Recurve R6 and I was told the brake controller was built in with the tow package on our 2016 Chevy Burb LT. But I'm always open to suggestions! Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

Thanks a ton! I was hoping the community would be awesome! And I was right! Hehe
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #13

Well welcome as well! The anticipation is totally killing me! I'm all for all info anyone wants to share!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

I love to migrate so it'll probably be a minimal problem but we we're trying to make sure we knew how our entire trailer will work so we can properly take care of it. And it's a nice ice breaker, in any case
Old 09-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #15

I was updating it while waiting for replies and then life haps. But yea Northern Utah, very pretty here but in the summer the mountains are where to go. There's typically snow all year long in Monte Cristo
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
LoLaurie, love the handle! (Tagname) Welcome to the forum from AZ. The mountains here are the place to escape as well. Basically, you will exceed the weight capacities of your trailer to have enough batteries to run the AC unit. If you have to camp with AC, then as I do, get a site with electric for those nights. Or, get one larger generator, or 2 smaller ones in parallel. So far, that is about the only inexpensive way to beat the heat. I predict, someday soon it will be done reasonably cheap, but not yet.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
LoLaurie, love the handle! (Tagname) Welcome to the forum from AZ. The mountains here are the place to escape as well. Basically, you will exceed the weight capacities of your trailer to have enough batteries to run the AC unit. If you have to camp with AC, then as I do, get a site with electric for those nights. Or, get one larger generator, or 2 smaller ones in parallel. So far, that is about the only inexpensive way to beat the heat. I predict, someday soon it will be done reasonably cheap, but not yet.
Thanks for the welcome! That's what it seemed like on YouTube also. I still look forward to RVing and it's good to know that Arizona isn't on fire in the mountains because it's beautiful there! I hope to see it soon.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #18

Here's The 12 Volt Side of Life that bikendan mentioned. You don't need to google it.

Also, here's a link to a PDI checklist that you should download, print and take with you to the PDI. It includes some hybrid TT stuff (fold out tent bunks) that won't be applicable to you, but it's a great resource.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112

And don't be afraid to video the PDI on your phone if you think you need to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (436.4 KB, 11 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's The 12 Volt Side of Life that bikendan mentioned. You don't need to google it.

Also, here's a link to a PDI checklist that you should download, print and take with you to the PDI. It includes some hybrid TT stuff (fold out tent bunks) that won't be applicable to you, but it's a great resource.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

And don't be afraid to video the PDI on your phone if you think you need to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome and the info Rockfordoo! I appreciate it
Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

Running ac off your batteries will not likely happen in your life.

Batteries are the issue.

Since the advent of the car, batteries have not come a long way. Lithium are 100% better than wet acid in many ways but terribly expensive. Solar is just not enough to recharge them enough. For ac.

The Tesla battery pack would work but, how to recharge it? $$$$

For boondocking traditional 2 way fridges and a good exhaust fan is the best you can do and, either plug in or get a generator for ac.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer