Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLaurie View Post
Hello,
I'm Laurie, gamer, former stay-at-home-mom, young professional MEP Coordinator, ferret mom and eclectic fan-girl.
I browsed, bought and financed a 'gently used' 2018 Primetime Avenger 26BH. Unfortunately my RV Trailer is still at the dealership for the PID and my scheduled 'beginners' course for this upcoming Friday (I'm super excited for it).
I created an Amazon list for things I wanted and/or needed and have never in my life been glued to YouTube so much trying to find the things I should start getting. I've always dreamed of having an RV and traveling wherever I chose. Seemed natural. Though I never imagined that it was the place I was meant to be. I often heard my friends refer to the 'place they were meant to be' or 'here just feeds my soul, yanno?' I never understood that until tasting the approaching freedom I'm dreaming of.
I have the ability to work remotely in some situations so I plan to use that freedom also but I can't do it full-time...yet.
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...
Anyways I'm hoping to find a community and hopefully educate myself with some real world experience.

LOLaurie

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

I'm pretty sure your AC runs on AC (120Volt AC) and for that you'll need to run a generator or be connected to shore power.

When the dealer does the 'walk through' with you on the day you pick up your new trailer, have someone with you to record everything because it can be overwhelming for a 'newby'.

The salesman may also suggest you buy a whole bunch of 'goodies' you may need to get started be careful, buy what you need when you need it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Laurie, the included sewer hose is usually not good, long enough, or durable. Get a rhino flex or the like, either 2 10’ or 1 20’ section. One 10’ section seldom reaches your connection. I often need a minimum of 15’. I have 2 10’s and one 20’.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLaurie View Post
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...

LOLaurie
a) include the A/C because a majority of the country needs it in the summer. I grew up without A/C in my home with a fan blowing on me. If I'm hot, I don't sleep well. Hell, my new 44' toy hauler has 3 A/Cs!

b) why not include said components? To run A/C on battery power for any meaningful amount of time, you're looking at close to a $10,000 investment.

Manufacturers shouldn't include that cost because a large percentage of RVers utilize RV parks with electric hookups. It doesn't make sense to add a $10,000 option for the 20% that might want it. And, of that 20%, only a subset will want to spend that kind of extra money.

Never mind the fact that RV manufacturers tend to half-ass things. I can't imagine they'd get it right.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #24
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! I do not see that anyone has discussed things other than A/C. If you have the basics covered, you will find out what you need as you go. Do you have a dedicated water hose and appropriate fittings? Filter? Sewer hose(s) and fittings? Electric extension cords, adapters and EMS/surge protection? Tire chocks and leveling blocks? Roadside assistance plan? Basic tool kit including battery powered drill and sockets for stuff you may need to operate by hand? Bedding? Pet supplies?

Tags
trailer