Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Proud Brand New RV Enthusiast, Still waiting on my trailer 😭

Hello,
I'm Laurie, gamer, former stay-at-home-mom, young professional MEP Coordinator, ferret mom and eclectic fan-girl.
I browsed, bought and financed a 'gently used' 2018 Primetime Avenger 26BH. Unfortunately my RV Trailer is still at the dealership for the PID and my scheduled 'beginners' course for this upcoming Friday (I'm super excited for it).
I created an Amazon list for things I wanted and/or needed and have never in my life been glued to YouTube so much trying to find the things I should start getting. I've always dreamed of having an RV and traveling wherever I chose. Seemed natural. Though I never imagined that it was the place I was meant to be. I often heard my friends refer to the 'place they were meant to be' or 'here just feeds my soul, yanno?' I never understood that until tasting the approaching freedom I'm dreaming of.
I have the ability to work remotely in some situations so I plan to use that freedom also but I can't do it full-time...yet.
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...
Anyways I'm hoping to find a community and hopefully educate myself with some real world experience.

LOLaurie
__________________

LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLaurie View Post
In fact I came across this site while looking to see if my newly purchased RV Trailer has a soft starter on the AC unit. And to ask the question, if no one can run their AC on their current battery set up then a) why do the even include an AC and b) Why not include said components? Because in all the videos running it with its current power set up (for just about everything else included in the trailer) except glorious cold air, is just a NO-GO and I'm baffled at the extra work, noise and/or fuel consumption and power it takes...
Anyways I'm hoping to find a community and hopefully educate myself with some real world experience.

LOLaurie
Hi and welcome to FRF!
Doubt that your a/c has a soft start kit, as that is an aftermarket install.
Air conditioners are 120v AC power only. There is no RV a/c that runs on battery power, unless you have a bank of 12 deep cycle batteries and huge inverter. So the a/c only runs on shore power or generator power.
Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life", so you can better understand how the two different RV electrical systems work.
Also, what brake controller and weight distribution hitch do you have, to tow that trailer?
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chris Pastuzyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 171
I either have heard of a 12v ac unit, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie
 
Mrprovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Selden, NY
Posts: 189
Welcome from NY

I too am anxiously awaiting picking up our new TT (dealer's 10-12 hours away, shop we had to schedule it over a month after leaving our deposit)
I've been learning a ton of information from this forum and YouTube. One of the things I researched was an inverter/generator to power the a/c (13,500btu unit). I'm going to buy a champion dual fuel 3400W which will be easy to transport and won't request gasoline; I'll be able to use on board propane, or bring an extra 20lb tank with us on trips. But, I won't have to worry about gas spilling in my TT or TV while traveling.
__________________
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
2020 Geo Pro 16BHG (soon)
Mrprovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
I either have heard of a 12v ac unit, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Say what?
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Chris Pastuzyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 171
WHAT? The ac units run off 120v not 12v dc,That's call we were saying.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,454
Welcome to the forum.


You don't mention where you are located? AC is desired in some parts of the country. Here in the midAtlantic, we can get some steamy days/nights and AC makes it nice for sleeping. And we primarily moved from a tent to a camper for the AC - we are just getting to an age where the heat is beginning to affect us.



but if the weather is nice, we certainly do like to turn off the AC and open all the windows -
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Chris Pastuzyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 171
I believe she is from Utah, I think she may be needing AC.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Welcome to the forum.


You don't mention where you are located?
Yep, her profile says West Haven, Utah.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, her profile says West Haven, Utah.

weird - i checked her profile before i posted that and not see that.

Yeah Utah, I would want AC. (though when we were in Utah in 2017 - we did not always need it. In Bryce, it was very comfortable temperature wise but 90 miles away in Zion it was 102).
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hi and welcome to FRF!
Doubt that your a/c has a soft start kit, as that is an aftermarket install.
Air conditioners are 120v AC power only. There is no RV a/c that runs on battery power, unless you have a bank of 12 deep cycle batteries and huge inverter. So the a/c only runs on shore power or generator power.
Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life", so you can better understand how the two different RV electrical systems work.
Also, what brake controller and weight distribution hitch do you have, to tow that trailer?
Wow crazy, I don't know a thing about electrical, even though I work with people that do. We've been researching what we might do such as just move to moderate climates or do solar and the whole inverter and series lithium battery bank and the generator to just use if the weather gets too horrid with a fantastic fan to recirculate, I guess I just wanted to rant! Lol anyways we got a EasyLift Recurve R6 and I was told the brake controller was built in with the tow package on our 2016 Chevy Burb LT. But I'm always open to suggestions! Thanks for the confirmation.
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks a ton! I was hoping the community would be awesome! And I was right! Hehe
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Well welcome as well! The anticipation is totally killing me! I'm all for all info anyone wants to share!
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
I love to migrate so it'll probably be a minimal problem but we we're trying to make sure we knew how our entire trailer will work so we can properly take care of it. And it's a nice ice breaker, in any case
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
I was updating it while waiting for replies and then life haps. But yea Northern Utah, very pretty here but in the summer the mountains are where to go. There's typically snow all year long in Monte Cristo
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
Recently new!
 
Paulie1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Arizona, in The Land of Scorch!
Posts: 1,086
Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
LoLaurie, love the handle! (Tagname) Welcome to the forum from AZ. The mountains here are the place to escape as well. Basically, you will exceed the weight capacities of your trailer to have enough batteries to run the AC unit. If you have to camp with AC, then as I do, get a site with electric for those nights. Or, get one larger generator, or 2 smaller ones in parallel. So far, that is about the only inexpensive way to beat the heat. I predict, someday soon it will be done reasonably cheap, but not yet.
__________________
1987 Starcraft Nova tent trailer, purch. '87, sold 8.14
2013 Crusader 290RLT bought new, 8.14 lotsa mods!
2001 Ford F-250 7.3
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
LoLaurie, love the handle! (Tagname) Welcome to the forum from AZ. The mountains here are the place to escape as well. Basically, you will exceed the weight capacities of your trailer to have enough batteries to run the AC unit. If you have to camp with AC, then as I do, get a site with electric for those nights. Or, get one larger generator, or 2 smaller ones in parallel. So far, that is about the only inexpensive way to beat the heat. I predict, someday soon it will be done reasonably cheap, but not yet.
Thanks for the welcome! That's what it seemed like on YouTube also. I still look forward to RVing and it's good to know that Arizona isn't on fire in the mountains because it's beautiful there! I hope to see it soon.
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,251
Here's The 12 Volt Side of Life that bikendan mentioned. You don't need to google it.

Also, here's a link to a PDI checklist that you should download, print and take with you to the PDI. It includes some hybrid TT stuff (fold out tent bunks) that won't be applicable to you, but it's a great resource.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112

And don't be afraid to video the PDI on your phone if you think you need to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (436.4 KB, 7 views)
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
LOLaurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's The 12 Volt Side of Life that bikendan mentioned. You don't need to google it.

Also, here's a link to a PDI checklist that you should download, print and take with you to the PDI. It includes some hybrid TT stuff (fold out tent bunks) that won't be applicable to you, but it's a great resource.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

And don't be afraid to video the PDI on your phone if you think you need to.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome and the info Rockfordoo! I appreciate it
LOLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 1,020
Running ac off your batteries will not likely happen in your life.

Batteries are the issue.

Since the advent of the car, batteries have not come a long way. Lithium are 100% better than wet acid in many ways but terribly expensive. Solar is just not enough to recharge them enough. For ac.

The Tesla battery pack would work but, how to recharge it? $$$$

For boondocking traditional 2 way fridges and a good exhaust fan is the best you can do and, either plug in or get a generator for ac.
__________________

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


×