Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Ready set RV

Greetings. My wife and I just ordered a Sunseeker 3010DS. Can't wait to hit the road. Delivery is a bit longer than we expected so making preparations for the big arrival. Any ideas/suggestions for getting ready. This is our first venture out into the world of RV-ing so all your advice and experience is welcome. Looking forward to being out there with you all. Scott
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here there are a lot of good people with good ideas here. Look around and start making a list of what you would like in your new camper. Congratulations on your new camper and I hope it arrives soon for you.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

Congrats and welcome to the forums.
The basic list for me at least:
1. Drinking hose, the white ones made just for RV's.
2. Sewer hose.
3. Two sets of chocks for your tires. I also have the x chocks. I use them both myself.
4. Either some 2x6's cut down to drive up on to help level it, or a set of "better blocks". They are kind of like giant lego's you can use to drive on to help level your trailer. Again, I carry both. LOL. Guess it is the boyscout in me, I like to have plenty of everything.
5. I personally really believe in using an extension cord instead of dragging the cord out of my trailer. They are kind of pricy, but IMHO they are easier to wind up than stuff the cord back in.

That is just the short, short, short list. I am sure others will chime in.
99% of the above can be gotten at most Walmarts, or at any camping world store. You will pay more at camping world, but if you go to one, you will spend a ton of money there buying other stuff. LOL
If you do go to camping world, I think the good sams membership is worth it then. With the discount you get with the membership, doesn't take much at all to pay for it in savings.

Almost forgot, ask your dealer what you get with it. Some will give you a "starter" pack of stuff or a discount at their parts store. Check into that before you buy anything.
When we bought ours, we got a 100 bucks to use in their parts store.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Unless you enjoy bag drags get the RV set up with pots, pans, dishes, glasses, sheets, etc. that way you just need clothes and food to hit the road. When we return we have a bag of laundry that gets hauled in, washed and the towels and sheets go back in the cleaned laundry bag waiting for the next trip. Some folks buy new stuff and others find cool stuff in the flea markets or garage sales. Either one works.
Get an extra sewer hose and carry it with you. You will need the extension at some point and when the first one springs a leak you will have a replacement handy. Buy some throw away gloves...
Hand sanitizer is good to have as well. Make a list of things to bring next time...
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

After thinking about it some. Wanted to add.
Once you get the basics to get it hooked up (water, electric and sewer) go camping somewhere CLOSE to home. Maybe a mile or two if you can for a weekend.
Then you will really figure out what you are missing.
As stated above, flea markets are great place to find the pots, pans etc...
We do keep our trailer stocked so to speak with everything but cloths and dog food.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140428_202928.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	51182

Happy Camping!!!