Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,626
Question reese revolution/Rookwood 8289WS

I have brought a new 5th wheel, F.R. is now installing the sidewinder, my question is that the dealer told me not to use it because it is very hard to hitch up unless you are perfectly lined up, so the the wedge is installed aft, stopping the use of the sidewinder. The unit came with the universal wedge. will that wedge fit a Husky hitch / slider and has anyone ever had a problem? I have a F250 short bed, and can make about a 80 degree turn now without the slider, but would like to use the sidewinder, so I will not have to worry about my back window.
__________________

__________________
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Member
 
alageezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 74
I have the Revolution on my fw, and it allows me to turn more than 90 degrees with my SB without getting out to move the hitch. You do have to be pretty straight to hook, but I don't find that a problem. The universal wedge will work, but a custom fit wedge isn't that expensive. I think I paid something like $40 for mine.

When I was researching looking for a hitch, most of the sliders only moved about 9-12 inches, where the Revolution moves the pivot back 22 inches.
__________________

__________________
2012 Signature 8285WS
2010 Ram 2500 w/Cummins
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
Just remember that the Reece revolution moves the pivot point of your hitch almost to the back of your box, and that increases the potential of a jack-knife if you ever get into a dicey situation. If you have ever seen the result of that, you may want to think twice about using that hitch.
A slider is a lot more hassle, but you have to consider just how often you need to do a 90 dgree turn. From my experience, it isn't that often, and isn't worth risking your life.
__________________
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Just remember that the Reece revolution moves the pivot point of your hitch almost to the back of your box, and that increases the potential of a jack-knife if you ever get into a dicey situation. If you have ever seen the result of that, you may want to think twice about using that hitch.
A slider is a lot more hassle, but you have to consider just how often you need to do a 90 dgree turn. From my experience, it isn't that often, and isn't worth risking your life.


In theory, what you are saying is probably correct, however, if you are ever in a situation of potential jack knifing, the pivot point location of 20-22" posterior may not make much of a difference. I have the reese revolution setup and highly recommend it for SB trucks. I can turn over 100 degrees if needed without any worry of striking the cab. As for the OP commented about having to be straight on when hooking up doesn't make sense. The revolution hitch can be turned to whatever angle your truck is.
__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
As for the OP commented about having to be straight on when hooking up doesn't make sense. The revolution hitch can be turned to whatever angle your truck is.
Exactly. Should be easier to hitch up than a conventional pinbox.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Member
 
alageezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 74
Yes the pin box can be turned to the truck, but the wedge is directly behind the pin, and you need to have it in line with the opening of the jaws on the head. If it's off center, it may not slide in enough to latch the jaws.

I've only had my unit a couple of months, and still learning, but am getting better.

As for the jack knifing problems, not concerned. If it gets that bad, I'll have bigger things to worry about. Like the fellow who just pulled out if front of me, do I hit him square and run over him, or just give him a glancing blow and knock him out of my way. Decisions, decisions. I made up my mind years ago when I first started driving tractor trailers, if some "yahoo" causes me to head for the ditch, bet your sweet bippies he's going with me.
__________________
2012 Signature 8285WS
2010 Ram 2500 w/Cummins
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Could any of you tell me what type of hitch you are using with your Reese Revolution and are you happy with it? Thanks.
hrl43
__________________
hrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrl43 View Post
Could any of you tell me what type of hitch you are using with your Reese Revolution and are you happy with it? Thanks.
hrl43
I have a B&W Patriot with my Sidewinder and I absolutely love it! Just make sure you get the right wedge. Hookup is smooth and easy, no slamming, just gently ease into it and latch everything up.

I have had no issues hooking mine up, from any angle. I generally try to get it straight, but if it isn't, it just straightens out and hitches right up.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have brought a new 5th wheel, F.R. is now installing the sidewinder, my question is that the dealer told me not to use it because it is very hard to hitch up unless you are perfectly lined up, so the the wedge is installed aft, stopping the use of the sidewinder. The unit came with the universal wedge. will that wedge fit a Husky hitch / slider and has anyone ever had a problem? I have a F250 short bed, and can make about a 80 degree turn now without the slider, but would like to use the sidewinder, so I will not have to worry about my back window.
I got the same spiel from the dealer and they installed a Reese Slider. After the trip from the dealer to home (15 miles). I called the dealer and said it was unacceptable due to all the banging when stopping and starting. Took it back and they put in a regular Reese 16k and activated the Sidewinder. I made my own wedge and just love the setup now, no banging or noise of any kind. No problems hooking up regardless of the angle and the Sidewinder allows me to use a full cover tonneau cover while towing.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks, Fordmantpw.
__________________

__________________
hrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.