Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Roy W
Smile Relatively new to RV Camping

Hi All,
My Name is Roy & my wife's name is Dalia. We have one more family that is new to RVing as well our 75 pound labradoddle, Shadowfax.
We are about to embark on our fourth trip. We are going to Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware. This will be our second "Dry" camping experience; ( the first was last year at the Philadelphia Folk festival. We have had two prior trips to campground with-in NJ with full power and all the amenities).
My question is Is it safe to travel with extra propane tanks in the back of our tow vehicle (Toyota Tundra pick-up; perhaps in a galvanized tool box? Also should you operated the refrigerator on propane while traveling?
Thanks for any advice on these questions..... Roy

Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Welcome!

You would need to ensure that your spare propane tank valves are 'off' and that they are well secured. You might check to ensure what the laws are in your state for transporting closed containers. As far as traveling with the refrigerator on, we do all the time. It won't hurt a thing.

2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! Don't know if laws vary from state to state but we can carry extra propane bottles without a problem. Only "refilled" 1 gallon disposable bottles are resricted from being transported after being refilled. We travel with our fridge on all the time. If you are extra cautious, you can shut it off while you refill your tow vehicle and some tunnels require the propane to be off before entering. If you are going to park unlevel for more than an hour or so to sightsee, we shut ours off so it doesn't operate "out of level".
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Team

After reading so many posts on keeping the fridge on or off I was unsure what I should do. After asking several RVers for their opinions one of the common answers among the replyies were to do what I was comfortable with. At first I was unsure about leaving it on but now I leave it on while traveling.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W View Post
My question is Is it safe to travel with extra propane tanks in the back of our tow vehicle (Toyota Tundra pick-up; perhaps in a galvanized tool box? Also should you operated the refrigerator on propane while traveling?
2 full propane tanks on your trailer should be sufficient without carrying extra tanks. I have only filled my tanks 6 times in the last 4 years, and I do a lot of dry camping. When dry camping, water supply, waste water removal, and battery management are usually much more of a concern than running out of propane.

I think most members here, as well as the general camping community travel with the propane valves open to keep the fridge closed. Some tunnels and bridges might require you to shut the valves while traveling over/under the water. If your fridge vents are close to the fill tank of your tow vehicle, then you might want to shut the fridge down while refueling, also.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
2 full propane tanks on your trailer should be sufficient without carrying extra tanks...
Another thing to consider about the propane and that is it is readily available everywhere you travel. You can even exchange tanks just about every where you stop, which if your tanks are getting close to the mandatory inspection, is a big plus.

I would leave the tanks home and use the space for something else.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

For trips under 2-3 hours I find that precooling the fridge and contents overnite before we leave using shore power works great. It helps to fill the fridge fairly full so the cold-mass is large. Then we spark up the propane once we arrive at the camp site.
I try to avoid travelling with the propane tank on if I can, but on longer trips it is difficult to avoid.