Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Removing covers from LED in 2016 33ik Silverback

How do I remove the LED light covers in my Silverback 33IK. There's two slots on opposite sides, but I'm not sure if I just pry them off or what? I have included a photo.

Thanks Joe O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2365.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	86993  

Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #2

yes they just pry off. may i ask why your wanting to remove the cover?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

I need to remove the cover since the switch is acting up. Sometimes it takes 6 or more tries to get the light to come on. I was worried if I pried it off that the switch would snap off.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

They simply pry off with a small screwdriver. We have the same 4" round fixtures in our 2015 Silverback 29IK and with apologies to Disney the switches in those lights are very Mickey Mouse. One failed completely within a few months and another one seems to only work at random times when it feels like it, although jiggling the switch sometimes helps. After I removed the cover and removed the three screws that hold the fixture on I discovered that it looks like the "bulb" is an integral part of the fixture and as far as I can see it can't be replaced but I may be wrong about that. If our trailer was not under warranty I'd look closer. We are currently waiting for replacement fixtures to arrive from Forest River under warranty. (very slow response from FR but that's another story entirely) We've also had a couple of these fixtures that are switched on the wall fail or partially fail as well. I think that these particular LED fixtures are certainly a weak link and perhaps should not be used in an RV. I would suggest that this is simply another result of FR (and in fairness every other RV manufacturer) buying components from the lowest bidder. They look nice but they don't seem to work very well. When the warranty is up I'll probably start to replace them with a better quality fixture.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the response....that doesn't sound too good as far as quality and reliability of these fixtures. We noticed that the one that we use a lot over the one counter, the switch seems to get warm and it almost feels like the plastic is melting.

I figure, keep on using it since it's a brand new unit and if it's going to fail, might as well be while it's under warranty.

We keep an eye on it so it doesn't cause a fire, so we never leave it on if we're not in. Now I wonder if the other ones at the ceiling are having the same issue.

Some of the stuff in the Silverback I really wonder about quality for the price of the unit.

For one, the bathroom door has a big gap when it's closed, so we checked some more out and then the Cedar Creek units. The Silverbacks all have the same gap, but the Cedar Creek, they added a couple of pieces of molding to close the gap.
Since I'm fairly good at carpentry, I'll install some matching molding like in the Cedar Creek.

Really....FR.....you can't add a 50cent piece of molding to close the gap!

And another thing....the foam gasket around some windows at the corners is coming unglued....so the first major rain storm, we had water pouring in the one window until I figured out what the problem was. Now I have pushed the corners in and we won't open those windows until I bring it back to the dealer to fix. I was going to glue them myself, but not sure what kind of glue to use as to not void the warranty.

That's just a couple of things that I'm mentioning, but there are other quality issues.

Sorry for the long reply.....but I thought it should be out there for info.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

i also had a problem with the switch on one of my lights. i got a better response from FR by coping Henry's email from the FR website and sending him an email from my mail program then by using the FR website to send the message

Henry Sears (hsears@forestriverinc.com) he sent 4 of the lights to me right away i had them within a week the lights also have a lifetime warranty from the manufacture
Old 08-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Thanks. Good advise. I'll try to contact this gentleman as the dealer sure seems slow.

6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, led