Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Researching PT Crusaders

Hi all,
We have been fifth wheeling since 1999 and are thinking of moving back to a mid-profile, a little smaller, a little lighter...
Over the years, we have had numerous rigs: Salem, Wildcat, Sandpiper, Big Country; and enjoyed every one of them.

We are currently looking at the Crusader 295RST as the kids have outgrown the bunks and we are looking forward to a little adult camping.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
DavidAlison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum!
You'll get lots of info here!

Good luck in your search!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlison View Post
Hi all,
We have been fifth wheeling since 1999 and are thinking of moving back to a mid-profile, a little smaller, a little lighter...
Over the years, we have had numerous rigs: Salem, Wildcat, Sandpiper, Big Country; and enjoyed every one of them.

We are currently looking at the Crusader 295RST as the kids have outgrown the bunks and we are looking forward to a little adult camping.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

The 295 is a great floorplan for 2 adults and the occasional kids. We opted for the 325 becase we did want a little bigger. We couldn't be any happier with our choice.

The Crusaders come with a lot of bang for the buck. We have had ours out 3 times already and have had no issues at all. I think you will find that if you do have an issue, PTM will step up quickly and resolve. When I was doing my search I had to oportunity to speak with a number of reps from PTM and they were forthcoming with answering all my questions truthfully. Even when knowing that the answer they were giving wasn't what they thought I might want to hear.

There are alot of 295 owners on FRF and I am sure they can give you model specific info if needed.

Good luck in your search!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the input DnD.

I was originally looking at the 325RES which is the perfect layout. Then this 295RST appeared and we thought we'd try to go a little lighter for a change (only 8,777 dry weight). The touring package makes it worthwhile.

Next is to find the right price...
Drive 800 miles to get the best deal, or stay close to home and pay through the nose...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the Prime Time section in the forums? Lots of information in there.

Here's the link to it... http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f210/

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input DnD.

I was originally looking at the 325RES which is the perfect layout. Then this 295RST appeared and we thought we'd try to go a little lighter for a change (only 8,777 dry weight). The touring package makes it worthwhile.

Next is to find the right price...
Drive 800 miles to get the best deal, or stay close to home and pay through the nose...
For me the selection of a dealer is as important as the trailer selection. In my case I went to a dealer that was 120 miles away vs the one 10 miles away because of each of their reputations.

The dealer that I went with started out pretty high on price but after a few back and forth offers we reached a deal I was happy with. So far this has proven to be the right choice as we have received stellar service and support.

Please remember that every price is negotiable and sometimes it can take 3, 4 or more offers before you get to what you are happy with. For us, we got 75% of MSRP including freight. Also make sure they don't try and include the touring pkg in the MSRP as the dealer gets fully reimbursed for that cost and it should be free. If that becomes a sticking point, a quick call from the dealer to their rep @ PTM will clear that up (We had to do this).

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

I think the price we've been quoted is great. Next will be discussing a trade... that often puts a damper on the negotiations.

I'm pretty sure our local can't even begin to compete (or maybe they just choose to be that way). They don't have one on the lot either.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #8

I'm back. Here it is April and we still haven't made a decision. So many to choose from and still have our 2009 Big Country unsold which means having to trade.

Going to look at a Rockwood Ultra Lite 8289WS tomorrow, a little leery about the floor construction (is it really only bonded luan with styrofoam).

Opinions anyone - Crusader 295RST TE or Rockwood Ultra Lite 8289W?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Going to look at a Rockwood Ultra Lite 8289WS tomorrow, a little leery about the floor construction (is it really only bonded luan with styrofoam).
The older ones were pure garbage from what I understand, so FR used a little thicker "plywood" on the newer ones. I looked at a hole cutout in our floor the other day, and the top layer of "plywood" looks to be 1/4 inch thick. Hardly like the normal 5/8 on heavier campers, but it does seem to be reasonably solid.
Ours is a 2010, so they may be even thicker now. But I would ask the salesman about it anyway.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #10

And it isn't just the ultra-lights that are using that cheap floor construction. You might be shocked at how many have gone that route.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #11

Thank you bakken. That is disconcerting. We are accustomed to larger solid high profile 5ers (Sandpiper & Big Country). We will definitely check it out tomorrow, it won't be the first camper I have jumped in to test.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Finally made a decision today and put a deposit on a Laredo 292RL. Yes, it is another high profile rig and it is just under 10,000 dry weight. It is better insulated and has 5/8" wood floor decking. We compared it to the Rockwood Ultra Lite and the Crusader and for us, we think this is the best buy with most of the amenities we were looking for.

It is our first Keystone.

Thanks for all of your input.