Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Junior

reserving campsites

Hi All, new to the forum and campground camping. We just bought a Grey Wolf 26bh and can't wait to take delivery! My wife and I both teach and have twin 5yr old girls. We want to take a month this summer and hit the road but are unsure about the best approach. I'm thinking reserving spots in National forest campgrounds might be the best bet? If you don't reserve, are they usually full? Any input would be great. Thanks!
skihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #2

to FRF!

I'm not sure on the national forest thing but in Texas, reservations at the State Parks are a must or you may not get in. I'm sure others will know more about this.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

Welcome to the site and as Greg stated here in Mississippi we have to reserve or get nothing. Some areas can be months in advance for a holiday weekend.

http://www.recreation.gov/

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #4

NFS campgrounds usually aren't that hard to get into, generally because many don't offer hookups. Unless of course you try to get into the NFS campgrounds near major National Parks like Arches, those tend to be a bit more full.

Corps of Engineer parks are usually packed on weekends but on weekdays you can usually get a "first come, first served" spot. BTW, many COE campgrounds have excellent playgrounds for children.

State Parks can be iffy. I would try to get a reservation for a spot if at all possible.
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #5

yep mike hit it
it lists an overwhelming number of places to stay and hidden gems, we use it very often

hint
USDA campgrounds are often very very nice and one with nature
davis lake in central miss is awesome
Old 01-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #6

Here in Indiana, you better reserve State Parks for holiday weekends, but there is usually room otherwise. The Corp of Engineers area by me (Hardin Ridge / Lake Monroe) always sets aside a certain number of sites as first come, first serve. On Holiday weekends though, that means you better show up early! Other than the major holiday weekends though, there is usually no problem getting a site.

Bill

2008 Flagstaff 27BHSS
2006 Ford E-350 XLT 5.4L
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Bedford Indiana

kristler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #7

I agree with all. I am researching as well as a newbie and have found you need to reserve now for July. I am in NC and the State parks are lovely here and some of the private camp grounds I have found on the web have woods, playgrounds, fishing, and golf for the kids (I have 3 boys), but they fill up quickly. I have found so much info. surfing the web and looking at the web sites. The RV show was great as well, because I actually got to meet the owners and ask questions--very friendly people. So go to the web and call up the campgrounds that look right for your family. Ask them questions as everyone I have talked to, has been so helpful. If you head to the Myrtle Beach area (which I would not in the summer) Ocean Lake has had the best reviews for a family friendly-- not loud campground.

Mom3boys (Wanda)
mom3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #8

skihill,
Welcome to the forums.

Like the others said, get reservations. You can't go wrong.

Congrats on your new TT.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #10

i also agree get reservation before hand i wouldnt want to pull my trailer very far without a place to park it when i get there
Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #11

Welcome to the FRF and I agree with all, better to have a reservation than not. The only times we don't have one is when we travel close to home along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We have always been able to get a site in one of the parkway campgrounds.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Junior

Thanks to all who've responded, we will definitely do some reserving and researching. Looking forward to summer!
skihill is offline   Reply With Quote