Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

retired looking fdw to traveling

my wife retired from teaching 2 yrs ago after 35 yrs. i retired from oil refining a year ago. our plan was to see the country. so far, we have only been out 3 times. hopefully, that will change next yr.
my first trailer was purchaced in 1992 very used and i went out in it just abt every month. in 2002, purchaced a new cardnal 33ts. each time i back it, it's like the first time. Over the past 8 yrs i have put a few miles on it but it mostly sits.
So far, i have read abt several issues and how they were corrected. find the group to be very helpful.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
my wife retired from teaching 2 yrs ago after 35 yrs. i retired from oil refining a year ago. our plan was to see the country. so far, we have only been out 3 times. hopefully, that will change next yr.
my first trailer was purchaced in 1992 very used and i went out in it just abt every month. in 2002, purchaced a new cardnal 33ts. each time i back it, it's like the first time. Over the past 8 yrs i have put a few miles on it but it mostly sits.
So far, i have read abt several issues and how they were corrected. find the group to be very helpful.

Welcome and Hi!
I retired a few years ago and with our trailer it has been a joy. Travel where and when you want and sleep in your own bed each night.
Have you travelled around the US or have you stayed local in your state?
Have a great day!

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

travel

we have been to yellowstone and the dakotas and south to new mexico. east to pa, north to indiana, and south to fl. you can fill in points in between. haven't been to the west coast. we would like to do alaska but my wife is cold in S. La. She also doesn't like the steep drop offs of the mountian roads (in yellowstone, she was driving and erased the yellow line that they were painting in front of us to avoid the edge of the road).

We really like S. Dakota especially Custer St. Park. Got a free glass of ice water at Wall Drug Store and visited the Corn Palace.

We have followed the Natchez trace from Natchez to Nashville.
Our last trip was to S. Tn along the trace. We like that area also.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

You have a few miles under your belt.
In the upcoming 18-24 months we plan on more of the SE around you. AR. TN,VI, NC, GA.
What is the best time to travel in the SE in respect to weather.
No hurricanes season or cold. I figure April - June. What do you think?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
We really like S. Dakota especially Custer St. Park.
One of the world's great parks...and Mt Rushmore is now more than ever a must see.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You have a few miles under your belt.
In the upcoming 18-24 months we plan on more of the SE around you. AR. TN,VI, NC, GA.
What is the best time to travel in the SE in respect to weather.
No hurricanes season or cold. I figure April - June. What do you think?
i personally like oct. the temp is milder. In Ar, i like mountainview, ar. there is a folk center, a nice cave (Blanchard Springs Cavern). Each night, people gather around the court house sq and play their music.

Tn is also nice in oct. we prefere to go there in July though. we like the 1000 trail natchez trace campground and the area (if u go to that one, read their caution abt getting there from the trace, there is a low clearance going under the trace 11'). Gatlenburg is nice if u go there, u may want to take 40 on around and come in from the east and get a campground on the east side. we stayed around pigeon forge. while there go thru Cades Cove on the west side of the great smokey mountain nat park.

West Virginia we like. we stayed at stevens lake near Beckley. there is a exibition coal mine tour at Beckley. the new river bridge is north of there. on the eastern end of the state is Cass, they have a rail road there with a Shay engine. On the way to Cass, you will see a radio telescope (dish farm) to the right just a few miles from Cass.

In Louisiana, I prefere the Lafayette area. New Orleans is ok but u see more of the Cajun culture in Lafayette (I-10 half way to baton rouge). The differences between N & S Louisiana is quiet a contrast in culture.

Georgia we went thru in mid april. Stawberries were just coming in. peaches were still a week or so away. Savanah is very nice.

Generally, hurricane season is late aug and early sept. i feel like it's over by the first of Oct. Of the dates u are planing, i would choose late april thru may as prime. temp is still mild then.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #7

Mt Rushmore

We will be going back probably nx yr. we were there in 2002. We stayed in Custer near the Crazy Horse monument. The dinasore dig in Hot Springs, SD was also worth the trip.

If u find urself around yellowstone, Bear Tooth pass (US 212 (as in boiling pt of water) is very scenic). wouldn't take a travel trailer or moterhome up there though. there are some very sharp turns.