Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #1

Rockwood 2905 SS on order & and a question

Greetings, all!

We just ordered a '14 Rockwood Ultralite 2905 SS and can't wait. However, I'm a bit perplexed by the stated specs, particularly the hitch weight.

First things first, my tow vehicle is an '08 Land Cruiser. It's rated at 8,200 lbs. max tow and 850 lbs. hitch weight.

The 2905's tongue weight is considerably higher than similar trailers in the same line and of the same size. Here's a breakdown:
2905 - 5267 lbs trailer weight / 754 lbs. tongue weight;
2902 - 5865 / 668
2904 - 6074 / 611
2909 - 5709 / 603

I can't figure out why the 2905 has considerable more tongue weight. Are the stated specs usually correct? The 2905 and the 2909 are almost identical. The only difference is the kitchen is switched to opposite sides. The only thing I can figure is on the 2905, the kitchen looks to be a little more toward the front (perhaps 3-4 feet). Could that be the difference? It's just a bit confusing that the lightest of the 4 has much more tongue weight. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
UtahLawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

I can't answer your question but wanted to welcome you to the forum. Congrats on your Rockwood Ultralite 2905 SS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Seems to me you should be looking at a different camper or a bigger tv... .
The hitch weight will be exceeded long before you receive your camper as the dealer has to add propane tanks full of propane as well as a battery at the least.
Don't forget your wd hitch will also add to your hitch weight .
Your 100 lb leeway will be ate up before you even hitch it to your tv.

Factory hitch weight is normally pretty close.
You need to do some more research here.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully we can get you squared away.

Congrats on the order!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Always Learning

No answers as to why that one is showing higher numbers than the others- but it isn't out of line for what you should expect. Generally a TT's tongue weight is going to be somewhere between 10%-15% of the TT's weight. The numbers you showed are somewhere between 14% and 15%, which is fairly right on.

That said, what Turbs is saying is that weight is going to do nothing but go up as you add stuff to the trailer. The "dry weight" or "unloaded vehicle weight" that factories advertise may or may not include the weight of propane, battery(ies), water in any tanks, and all of your personal stuff (obviously), etc. Just last week, I was helping my father-in-law figure out what his 4runner might be able to tow- in my message to him, I recommended that he use the "gross vehicle weight" (GVWR) of the trailer as his point of planning as a camper will always be over its dry weight but should never exceed its gross weight. It's a constant that you can use for planning purposes.

That said- I don't know your vehicle or trailer, but hopefully you can do some math based on the math above.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Rockwood Ultralite 2905 SS!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote