Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Rookie RV'er from Ft Worth Texas

Howdy! Found this site after posting a question on Google about traveling with fresh water tanks full. Found so many useful and informative answers, decided I had to join! Now I am going to be lazy and ask a few questions here.
1. I have a lift on my truck and leveling air bags. I bought a Husky weight distribution hitch assembly. As you can see in the pic, my front end is slightly higher than it should be. (Leveling air bags depleted) A.Would adding air to the bags correct this? B. Should I buy a longer drop-down extension? C. Is it even a factor? Trailer has been parked since I bought it a week ago and am taking it out this next week.

2. What is the best way to not look like a novice? Lol.

3. Can I expect a decent shower with only a 6 gallon water heater? What is the normal warming time for the next dirty member of my family to be able to shower? This is probably a ridiculous question but I kinda like my showers!
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171024_174329.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	155677  
djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Scoundrel

6 gal water heater makes pretty hot water. Mixing with cold water to comfortable temp helps it last longer. If you're hooked up to shore power, run both propane and electric simultaneously on the water heater and you get a pretty quick recovery.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

from Southern California!

You want truck & trailer to both sit level on a level surface. If your truck squats, chances are good that you are exceeding your truck's payload. Check the sticker in the door for exact numbers. Estimate the hitch weight at 12.5% of your trailer's GVWR (sticker on trailer). Airing the bags will help with the squats but does not increase your payload.

RV water heaters recover rather quickly especially on gas or gas + electric if capable of that. In our prior Class C rig by the time my wife cleared the shower area, it was ready for me. You want to be taking "Navy" showers: get wet, turn water off, soap up, turn water off & rinse, turn water off.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

We take Navy showers. Wet down, turn off the water, soap up, then turn the water on to rinse. There is an on/off button on our shower tubing that allows you to maintain the mix of cold and hot water.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
from Southern California!

You want truck & trailer to both sit level on a level surface. If your truck squats, chances are good that you are exceeding your truck's payload. Check the sticker in the door for exact numbers. Estimate the hitch weight at 12.5% of your trailer's GVWR (sticker on trailer). Airing the bags will help with the squats but does not increase your payload.

RV water heaters recover rather quickly especially on gas or gas + electric if capable of that. In our prior Class C rig by the time my wife cleared the shower area, it was ready for me. You want to be taking "Navy" showers: get wet, turn water off, soap up, turn water off & rinse, turn water off.
The payload is not a factor. I'm just wondering if my lift is causing an issue. All good information and I thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We take Navy showers. Wet down, turn off the water, soap up, then turn the water on to rinse. There is an on/off button on our shower tubing that allows you to maintain the mix of cold and hot water.
Guess the Air Force guy in me will have to get use to taking Navy showers! Lol. Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #7

All good information and I will actually respond with the end results. And of course I will have more questions...
Old 11-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #8

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your TT !
Old 11-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Buy a longer Drop for your hitch,readjust your setup,after you add air to your bags,shoot for "Level TT & Truck"! This should help reduce the "Rookie Look",you can also add a 'States Visited" decal with a few "Extra" States! In regards to Showers "STOP Singing"! Youroo!!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #10

set the air bags where you like them . and install one of these https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...saAgd4EALw_wcB

Its better to be nose down on a trailer a tiny bit then nose up .

As for your shower question . No singing like Roo said and follow the navy shower advice . The hotwater heater in mine will keep up pretty good its the freshwater tank capacity and the grey water tank capacity that is the limiting factor .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

Welcome from your neighbor in Arlington, Tx.. Longer drop hitch should take care of
your problem. This is a great place for learning about camping.
Have fun.
_______
MK Clark
2819VS Windjammer.
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Buy a longer Drop for your hitch,readjust your setup,after you add air to your bags,shoot for "Level TT & Truck"! This should help reduce the "Rookie Look",you can also add a 'States Visited" decal with a few "Extra" States! In regards to Showers "STOP Singing"! Youroo!!
That Sir, was hilarious! And quite useful info at the same time! I do agree with the replies here on a longer drop. And since I can't carry a tune, that should not be an issue. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Enjoy Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay101 View Post
Howdy! Found this site after posting a question on Google about traveling with fresh water tanks full. Found so many useful and informative answers, decided I had to join! Now I am going to be lazy and ask a few questions here.
1. I have a lift on my truck and leveling air bags. I bought a Husky weight distribution hitch assembly. As you can see in the pic, my front end is slightly higher than it should be. (Leveling air bags depleted) A.Would adding air to the bags correct this? B. Should I buy a longer drop-down extension? C. Is it even a factor? Trailer has been parked since I bought it a week ago and am taking it out this next week.

2. What is the best way to not look like a novice? Lol.

3. Can I expect a decent shower with only a 6 gallon water heater? What is the normal warming time for the next dirty member of my family to be able to shower? This is probably a ridiculous question but I kinda like my showers!
Thanks in advance!
1) you have air bags for a reason, use them. Having a longer drop-drown is good to have for adjust ability.
2) The best way to not look like a novice is to not act like one. (here's your sign) Professionals and Novices learn from their mistakes... Backing into stuff, running over stuff, fixing stuff that breaks. Learn as much as you can before you hit the road... but know that 'stuff' will happen and the 'novice' gives up, but the one who learns from 'stuff' happening' will be a 'professional'... 'WE' are all novices in something... just try to keep the number of 'something' as low as possible.
3) You can not get a 'decent' shower in as RV, they are just not made for a 'decent' shower... fast, cramped... and a pain in the xxx. If the campgrounds that you go to have shower houses, go to those. Make sure that you wear flipflops at all times in a shower house, never take them off. Now have a nice long shower and no mess in your camper and no using up all your water in your RV.

Do not walk on the shower house or bath room floors with out shoes or flipflops on at all times. This is how you can easily get 'Athletes foot fungus'... Walking on Beaches and swimming in the oceans or lakes can also get fungus on your feet. It is very easy to kill this fungus by using Baking Soda. Soak your feet in a pan of water and some Baking Soda will kill this. If you have toe nails and finger nails effected, make a paste of Baking Soda, over time the Baking Soda will kill it and new nails will grow out. Also, by putting a little of Baking Soda in your socks, your feet will feel great and stay healthy.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #15

Hey Brother Les,your stepping in the "Witch Doctors Area"! He gives out Free Medical Advice in exchange for Alcohol! Youroo!!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey Brother Les,your stepping in the "Witch Doctors Area"! He gives out Free Medical Advice in exchange for Alcohol! Youroo!!
I'll drink to that...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay101 View Post
Guess the Air Force guy in me will have to get use to taking Navy showers! Lol. Thanks for your advice!
If you are on a full hookup, don't listen to the Navy shower nonsense.

On your 6 Gallon Water heater, you should have a switch to turn on electrical assist (to the propane heating). Use this if you ned to.

Honestly though, when we had our 5th wheel with a 6 GAL tank, it was more than adequate for a nice long shower for one person. Give it 15 min to recharge and person #2 can have the same.

More importantly, replace the junk shower head that came with your unit and get one of these: (Click on this link): Jetstorm Plus
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #18

As mentioned, running the water heater on gas and electric speeds recovery time immensely, but uses lots of propane. If you have full hookups and the incoming water isn't too chilly, it almost acts like an on-demand style heater. At least mine does.
If you have a smaller trailer like my Micro-Lite, keep in mind that during the warmer months the shower will heat the inside up pretty quickly...obviously not an issue in colder weather.
It's also a good idea to shed other high-current items when the water heater is on electric. I had mine on with the A/C cranked, TV/sound system on and laptops plugged in. I tried heating water in the microwave for tea, that was too much and the 30A breaker tripped, shutting everything down. Chalk it up to an impromptu operational check of my electrical panel!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
If you are on a full hookup, don't listen to the Navy shower nonsense.

On your 6 Gallon Water heater, you should have a switch to turn on electrical assist (to the propane heating). Use this if you ned to.

Honestly though, when we had our 5th wheel with a 6 GAL tank, it was more than adequate for a nice long shower for one person. Give it 15 min to recharge and person #2 can have the same.

More importantly, replace the junk shower head that came with your unit and get one of these: (Click on this link): Jetstorm Plus
I agree. Our 6 Gal DSI/Electric performs the same way with full hookups. Turn on both gas and electric.

Don't forget to dump the grey tank prior to showering. If the grey tank over flows, at best your feet will be submerged in water, at worst the overflow can flow out of the vent or elsewhere inside your trailer.
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #20

First I would like to emphasize the reason I have become interested in RV'ing. Getting away from all the crap society is spewing at this time. We had no cell phone or wireless service. I learned after we got back about the horrendous shooting here in Texas. My prayers and thoughts are with the families. On a lighter note...thanks to all here for the excellent information that made my first outing a success! Things I learned from Brother Les. Use the airbags! Added about 30 psi after hookup and appeared to level both truck and trailer. Also Brother Les, I appreciate the medical advice! Did not need it this outing but will take heed from here on out. m2kamp, DavidBo and BamaBob. You were precise with your explanations. Did not have to navy shower at a site with water. Otherwise I can see where the navy shower and no singing would come in handy. A couple of novice mistakes were made (did not leave enough room to fully extend the awning, left the reese pin on the bumper and had to search my route but successfully found it!) but as Brother Les has pointed out...lessons learned! I thank you all very much for your information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_124548.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	155940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171105_171328.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	155941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106_104918.jpg
Views:	38